Small knife challenge

• Yes I accept

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • No I don't accept

Votes: 32 44.4%
  • I'll think about it

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters
For years, my daily carry has been an Alox Electrician and an Opi 6, so I have nothing to prove to anybody, least of all myself. A few years ago, we had a Peanut Challenge here that taught me that a peanut is a smaller knife than I really want to carry, and one knife is not as many as I want to carry. Any fixed blade I am likely to carry is under 3”, but sometimes I want to drop a Mora in my pocket for some task, which takes me over.

Higonokami also makes 3 small fixed blade knives. Looking at where I might purchase the Bannou the factory does not sell direct.

The Bannou-Bocho (Knife of 10K uses)

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 08.13.11.png
Material: White steel "Warikomi"
Full lengh: About 15cm
Blade lengh: About 6.5cm
Blade thickness: About 2.5mm

Fujimaki

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 08.12.44.png
Material: Blue steel "Warikomi"
Full lengh: About 17cm
Blade lengh: About 6cm
Blade thickness: About 4.5mm

Omamori" Amulet Kogatana​

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 08.15.46.png
Material: Blue steel "Warikomi"
Full lengh: About 13cm
Blade lengh: About 7cm
Blade thickness: About 3mm

The "Omamori" Amulet Kogatana is intended to be worn around the neck as an Amulet to protect you from evil Oni.
Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 08.24.53.png

Last edited:
With the Spyderco Native 5, Chaparral and Vic Pioneer being within limits AND with the gardening and food prep exceptions, this should be a piece of cake. Oh and Dragonflies. I already did this challenge quite a few times if I think about it. Accepted :)
IMG-2725.jpg

Last edited:
It's not that there aren't sub 3" blades I don't like, it's just that I like variety more. If I was interested in the challenge, I would be happy enough with either of these.

lhPkrQM.jpg
What is the name of this handsome lad?

I will attempt this, but my biggest issue is that smaller knives have smaller handles. I have a XL/XXL hand and need the larger handles for more control. I do have several sub 3" bladed knives that I have been gifted through the years.
Probably you will like the Ettrick from A. Wrigth & Son or Case Teardrop.

This arrival has officially kicked me out of the competition. What a fantastic knife!
Oh no - you're not getting out of this that easily. You can carry that ZT all you want...just use a little-un for the cutting. And, if you find you HAVE to use the 0640, refer to the challenge rules
For one month, you have to only use [any] knife that is less than 3 inches for all your day to day cutting/edc tasks.
there is a twist however: every time you find that 2.9 inches isn't enough, you MAY use something longer, but you HAVE to write it down. At the end of the month long challenge, count how many times you had to use a knife longer than 2.9 inches and post it on the thread

Back