Small parts vise - build along

I use this small part vise all the time in the shop when I am working on guards. I clamp this small parts vise in my larger bench vise and it is very secure and easy to use with the pool cue handle. I used to use a small machinists parallel clamps for this job, but ever since I made this vise it is the only thing I use. I made a couple more recently and took a bunch of pictures along the way in case anyone wants to make one. A detailed drawing is attached at the end.

Starting with a 9” long piece of 1” round steel

jBHIUv5l.jpg

Cut the bar down the middle and cut out a 6” section. Alternatively, if you do not want to use a 1” round bar, I would suggest using 5/8” thick by ¾” wide flat stock. The round bar is nice, as you can rotate it in the vise in any direction, but flat stock would be totally fine as well.

VAytdc5l.jpg

Drilling the ¼” hole

zGmLuwCl.jpg

Using the drilled hole, to mark the spot for the ¼”-20 tapped hole

2R2fuTdl.jpg

Enlarging the ¼” hole to provide a recess for the bolt head

6wubzYZl.jpg

t1BJwOvl.jpg

URL]]

Last edited:
Next drill the 5/16” hole – note after I drill the 5/16” hole, I will enlarge the top and bottom such that the 5/16” bolt can rock in the hole when the jaws open and close.

dv3584Ml.jpg

Last edited:
Then mark the hole, drill and tap 5/16”-18

kmB0EuQl.jpg

Take a piece of ½” wide, .060-.070 thick, 3.25” piece of 15n20 and drill a 9/32 hole for the ¼” screw to go through. I then form in an arc.

MoNy29kl.jpg

In this photo you can see the arc

KXUZGvDl.jpg

Heat treat the spring
BdVX58Hl.jpg

After hardening (oil quenching), I just tempered with a torch and quenched in water once an appropriate blue temper was obtained
Bn0GkD7l.jpg

Last edited:
Bolt the entire unit together solid and grind in the jaws to your liking

zFArwkRl.jpg

ki5iGJ6l.jpg

Last edited:
Very well done - good project. I think I might need to make one. AND, as usual you do such a good job with very detailed steps making it easy to follow along. Thanks for the post.

In my vise collection ( I don't know how many I have, it is a sickness) I have a couple small parts clamps similar to yours, but they have wooden handles. But, the best one is a tiny 1" jaw post vise. Really cool little tool.

Back