Smallest khukri

What is the smallest khukri that is currently abailable?I have seen some at about 12".Can they be easily found?If so, how much would they cost? Thanks!

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

The "mini jungle" (check the thread for a picture)is slightly under 12 inches. Nice piece. I see it more a long the line of a "fixed (utility) blade" than a chopping khukuri (which of course is a "fixed blade). I don't know if that made sense.
smile.gif

sing

I just got a Mini-Jungle. I did a brief description of it on another thread.
www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000131.html

It's similar in length to a USMC Ka-Bar, but much better suited to utility functions IMHO.

You would definitely like this knife.

Oh yeah, price. I don't know if Craig has any left at the introductry price, but the standard price is, I believe, $49.00. I've paid double and triple that for knives that were far inferior to the Mini.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

[This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 21 August 1999).]

Got your email, AlaChoctaw, and I've put a mini-jungle aside at the introductory forum price. That's the last one, though, as that one closes out our first run.

Regards,

Craig.

Blackdog, thanks for the tip.As you can see from Craig's post, I got in just under the wire!Can't wait to see it!

------------------

Oh man, you are gonna be sooooooo happy with that Mini. It's just so darned cute you forget its real and it's sharp.

Blackdog

------------------
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

I'll bet it will remind you of its sharpness, if you forget at the wrong time!I'm already looking out the window for the deliveryman!

AlaChoctaw, don't feel bad if you accidentally "bless" your mini. I seem to be doing that more and more these days. Oh well, I know it's been a good day when I go home with 10 fingers.

Craig, I know the feeling well! It's a strange hobby/passion we have, isn't it?BTW, got your shipped message.Thanks!I can hardly wait.

------------------

A foot long khukuri is not a toy or a cute little baby. The Fairbairn Sykes has a 7 1/4" blade. The Applegate Fairbairn has a 6" blade. The khukuri's blade will run 7 3/4" to 8 1/4" and held in hammer or saber grip is more conducive to a full power thrust due to grip and blade angle than either. Don't forget that a hard thrust can compress flesh - letting a 3" blade create a 6" deep wound - and that average adult chest thickness is 9" +/-. 14" to 16" khuks are general purpose tools. 18" to 20" khuks can be good choppers.
The 12"ers can be used for other things. But I feel them to be first and foremost a killing knife. That's my opinion. Yours may well differ.

Rusty,

I agree and disagree with what you say. You're right, the 12" Khukuri is NOT a toy. But cute? I think it's damned cute. After handling and swinging the bigger ones, the Mini is a real sweetheart to hold and use. It's cute in the way a Sub-compact .45 ACP is cute. Extremely lethal, but cute. Maybe I've been around machinery too long.

You compared the Mini to a Fairbairn Sykes and an Applegate Fairbairn. If my memory serves me well, these were developed only for combat. They could serve very few other purposes because of their double edge and blade design. I believe the idea was to sever arteries cleanly. The natural tendency of the body is to stem blood flow by shrinking the ends of torn arteries in on themselves. Arteries cut cleanly and evenly don't close up nearly as fast and blood flow is enhanced. These knives were made to kill.

The Mini, and the Ka-Bar on the other hand, are similar in size to the Fairbairn Sykes and Applegate Fairbairn. But, regardless of any hype to the contrary, they are utility knives. They will cut, chop, scrape, pry, skin, quarter, peel, carve, pound and dig. They are made for it.

Can you kill with the Mini or a Ka-Bar? Sure, no doubt about it. Just another chore. The knives don't care. Then again, the same can be said for the claw hammer in my tool box. Killing isn't its primary purpose in life, but it'll work.

Blackdog

------------------
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

:
Craig with all due respect do you have any idea of how offensive your
references to "blessing" the kukris when you cut a finger or fingers is to some of us?
Perhaps I should just say _me_ here and not try to speak for others.

The "Blessing" given by the Kamis on other Kuhkuris is a religious Ceremony that perhaps predates Christianity.
I know it has great meaning for me.
I am not X-tian and there are several
"Blood Ceremonies" done by different American Indian People.I have done some of these Ceremonies myself and hope to do more.
These Ceremonies are very strenuous and long sometimes,but one is no more important than another.They all have different purposes and meanings.I know by doing these Ceremonies I have become a better person and I would like to think that's what we are all striving for.

When you make these references I feel it cheapens the true meaning behind all such Ceremonies.
It makes me wonder if you have respect for other races and religions that are different from yours.
I know you went to Nicarauga(sp) on some kind of humanitarian mission so did you go under orders or because you want to help others less fortunate or both?

I made some references to this on another post a while back and I was hoping not to have to write this letter.I said how offensive such references are to me.Blackdog came to your side and I realize he is a friend trying to protect.He stated his feelings in a good and decent way.
He is alright in my book and I can understand his loyalty.
I know that sometimes the words just have to be said forthright for people
that dont know anything about others beliefs.

I guess the whole thing I am trying to say is what I have said.I don't think I am the only one that is offended by the refernce to 'blessing' when a finger is cut.

I may not ever buy a Kuhkuri from you or anything else.
I do know I won't buy anything from you as long as I see these kinds of references.
I hope I am correct in thinking that you aren't aware of what you have been doing by saying such things.
The whole world reads these forums as you know.
I don't believe you would want to lose potential customers if you could help it.

I would liked to have had one of the mini-jungles at the introductory price.I have to admit I was tempted,but I just couldn't and wouldn't betray my personal beliefs.
Many things I buy for personal use that isn't "Blessed" by Ceremony is Blessed by either me or a Elder in a different Ceremony before it is used.
Like I say,"I take these things seriously."

Thanks for listening.

------------------

>>>>---¥vsa---->®
The civilized man sleeps behind locked doors in the city while the naked savage sleeps (with a knife) in a open hut in the jungle.

Blackdog, I have 38's in 8, 6, 4, 3, and 2" lengths. The 8" is pretty much target and plinking. The 6 & 4" guns are all around useful. The 3" is an adjustable sighted Chiefs Special. Good kit or trail gun. The 2 inchers are for concealment, by me. Same with the 12" khukuris. Like the snub 38's, their reason for existing is to be hidden, maybe, but to be there always, absolutely. It doesn't matter that the little guns and knives can do other things surprisingly well. Their purpose is to be there when you didn't think you'd need a gun or a knife.

Just remember the tale of the blind men who were taken to "see" an elephant. They all "saw" different aspects of the animal. Things aren't necessarily "either/or", they can be also be "both/and".

Rusty,

Point about the elephant well taken. This is one thing I enjoy about the forum. We can agree to disagree, share our points of view and, in the process, continue to learn.

Whether used to take out sentries or to peel potatoes, our knives are important to us. The debates about them will continue as long as men have an opinion and someone to discuss it with. Thank God!

Blackdog

------------------
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Alachoctaw,

Saw this thread and it reminded me of something Lalit has been asking me to carry -Khukuri Letter Openers. These, I think, are the smallest khukuris anywhere (although I'd not try to chop with them if I were you). Is there any interest in these? If so, I can get a few in. Berk asked about them the other day too.

Craig, I think my beloved mini-jungle is as small as I need to go,especially when I have time to pick the brains of a custom sheath maker.For the record, though, how big will the opener be, and will it really be suitable for real cutting (not chopping)?

------------------

Alachoctaw, I wish I knew. I'm so curious that I think I'll order a few just to see what they look like. If they cut well, I'll post my findings. If they are trash, I'll also post my findings. How's that
smile.gif

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Sounds great to me, Craig.Let us know!

------------------

Back