Smatchet vs mini-smatchet

I've got both an Al Mar Smatchet and a Boker mini-smatchet. Given the leaf-shape of the blade and the weight distribution/knife balance, there's no way the mini can be used in the same way that the "real" one can. I have it more because - well, because it's cute :)
Does anyone have ideas on how the small leaf blade differs in use - if it does at all - from a standard profile double-edge?

Well there's really no such thing as a standard double-edge.there are a few variations, all of which tend to excell at different applications. As far as the mini-smatchet vs comparitively-sized daggers, it'll create a wider wound channel, and the blade shape gives it similar properties to a recurve i.e. more "cutting" edge per inch than a flat (i.e F-S dagger) shape, but less than a Kris style. Would probably make a more efficient chopper than other daggers too, given the slightly more weight-forward balance (much like kukri vs bowie).

I think it looks as if it is wider than other daggers its size. Wider blades leave larger wound channels. I.e., it is better for stabbing with respect to the damage it can cause per blow.

Also, it looks like the edges have more curve to them than most other double edge knives. I think that will make it a great slicing blade for utility work. If I had one, I'd make oen edge super polished for push cuts and I'd sharpen the other one on a coarse hone for slicing work.

Apart from what has being mentioned above I used my mini-smatchet as a digging tool. As long as you are not digging trough a mixture of clay and rocks it performs well.

The Mini Smatchet is one of those "cute" ideas that takes a really good design with solid application / performance and shrinks it down to appeal to those who want something "smaller" for all the wrong reasons.

The full size Smatchet is full size because that's how the design functions best. The mini in this model is "cute". Remember the full size Smatchet was met to go along with the full size Applegate-Fairbairn Fighting Knife. This is a solid design combo utilizing Form and Function.

The "mini" this and "mini" that is trendy but not necessarily functional to the greatest extent possible.

I agree with Greg about the mini smatchet.

One point: During WWII the OSS & SOE special weapons catalogs offered a mini fairbairn/sykes dagger - the Applegate/Fairbairn boot-knife is its modern counterpart - a hideout weapon.

Sincerly,
Mini-Sass

Greg,

I don't see an email address available for you in the member's profile, and I'd like to ask you a few questions, so I'll initiate the conversation here, and hopefully we can take it offline...

My wife and I are finishing collections of RMK's, Al Mar SERE's, and Col. Rex Applegate's A/F fighting knives, started many years ago by our good friend, hunting partner, and best man Keith Brown, deceased.

Finishing these collections that Keith started is our tribute to our good friend, in his memory.

We'd really like to talk with you Greg, given the chance, either via email, or preferably by phone or in person.

Are you going to the Oregon show by chance? We'll be there.

Looking forward to spending a few minutes with you, as your time permits.

v/r

Sheldon and Edna
aka 'Melvin-Purvis'

Mel -

I am planning on being at the Oregon Show this year, courtesy of Jerry Hossems (knifemaker).

Probably be there on Friday as I've got to be back at work come Saturday:(

We can yak AMK on this thread if okay with you and your wife. I don't do email alot and prefer to keep that aspect of "new technology" at arm's length for as long as possible:D

Heck, I don't even carry a cell phone or pager:eek:

I'm really a very simple kinda guy, you see:rolleyes:

Let's chat Al Mar Knives. Love the subject and miss the man.

GW

So, pull up a pot of coffee, and stay awhile...

I've told you how we became interested in the knives we're collecting, and why. We're hoping to 'show' these knives on the West Coast show circuit, i.e. Knife Expo, Blade West, BAKCA, and possibly the OKCA show sometime in the near future.

I'll tell you what I (think I) know, and hopefully you can fill in the blanks...

RMK's: We pretty much have this part figured out. We're building a 'One of each model' collection in O1, Brass, Leather, Duraluminum…and we’re pretty close. The collection will also have 'Mini's, Dealer Special's, and RKS club knives' included.

Randall's are pretty well documented, we've done considerable research, and we've made some great friends in the RMK/RKS world. No real issues here; we know the knives, and we know the people... As my friend Ray would say, "It’s all good baby!" :)

Al Mar SERE’s: We know a little history of Al Mar, his knives, and his collaborative friendship with Col. Nick Rowe. We’ve opted for the AMK SERE line, because it’s a rich history, and we can’t possibly collect ALL the AMK’s...

We know that most, if not all the pre-production knives were marked xxx/200. We know that there was a switch of model numbers around 1989-90 whereby the SERE 5 and 6 models became the SERE VII and SERE VIII. We know that the ‘De Oppressor Liber’ bolster marked knives were German Army PX sold knives. We know the early SERE’s were flat ground. We know the early folders had a 90' notch false edge, as opposed to the later 'scalloped' false edge. We know a little more, at least we think we do...

That said, we have the AMK-3001 (SERE 1) in Black Neoprene (B), Green Micarta (A), and White Micarta. The 3002A, B, & LE (still need the flat ground ‘Border Patrol’ green Neoprene 3002), the 3003A & B, the 3004A (still need the B), the 3005A & B, the 3006B (I think this was only made as a ‘B’), and the 3008A (I think the big one’s were only made in ‘A’, and we still need the 3007).

So, if I’m reading this right…minus the Prototypes, the PX knives, the PP knives, the flat ground knives, the pre-change over knives, and the pre-scallop knives, there were 16 versions of SERE available...’Wheeu’ (You asked...lol)

Can you add any insight to my observations here? Am I close? Are there other versions of the older SERE knives that I’m unaware of? Do you where we can obtain additional information on Al, promotional items from the late 80’s-early 90’s?...and the AMK SERE 3002 BP, 3004B, and 3007A knives that we’re looking for?

Again, these items are going to be for display only, under glass, as a tribute to both Keith Brown and Al Mar, to be shown on the West Coast knife show circuit…

Col. Rex Applegate Combat Fighting Knives: NOT Smatchet’s, mini’s, folders, etc…just the fixed blade fighters. We know that Rex designed this knife during the waning years off WWII, and submitted the design to Bo Randall who made up some prototypes, but passed on making the knife in volume.

We know that Rex had Barry Wood make up some prototypes in the early 80’s. We know that T.J. Yancy made at least two handmade versions of this knife, the white handled polished presentation version, and the black handled satin version…we have black handled #8x. Do you know if T.J. made any others versions, or variations of the two that I mentioned?

We know that Bill Harsey made at least one version ‘way back when’, starting at S/N 1000…we have S/N 107x...did Bill make anything other than the 'standard' back then? (I send Bill questions, or emails like this, and he always responds with "Too many questions". When I call him, he says that he’s "Too busy" to talk He’s not been very helpful, but hopefully I can twist his ear at the OKCA show...lol

We know that Bill is still making the knife, in different versions, but it’s the older ones, and how many versions he made, that we’re interested in…any input here Greg?

We know that Al Mar was making production models at the same time Bill was making handmade versions. We know that Al started with S/N 001/200, the first 10 being white handled, the other 190 being black…before Rex asked Al to change the handle color so the knives weren’t mixed up with Bill’s.

We have 0x0 black handled, and the follow up green and Pakka wood handled versions. We’re looking for a white handled version, but in the mean time Scott Moore has been kind enough to offer to loan us his during the show(s). Other than the rubber trainers, can you think of any others that Al made?

Blackjack...from Jason/Mike Stewert...the S/N’s started at 000000, the 1st 5 were white handled, the next 15 were green, there after black. A2’s were cut in mid-production for a total of 1500…we have 000017, a standard, a line on 000019, and a line on a A2...we’re still looking for a white handled BJK version.

Buck...a few prototypes under the Well’s Creek brand that never made it to production. We’re looking for these, and any help here would be great!

Boker...we have a standard, and are looking for the rest...specials, Damascus/rosewood, etc., no hurry here.

Have I forgotten anything? Do you know more about these knives? Can you point me in the right direction? We did just order the Applegate Estate sale Catalog from J.C. Devine. It should be here before the OKCA show.

Man, my fingers are tired now...(See now why I wanted to talk with you on the phone...lol)

Anyhoo, some final thoughts for now...

The OKCA show, we’re getting in late Friday, going to the show Saturday. (You and Hossom? Yeehaa!) :)

When I say I ‘Know’, I mean I think I know...and if you can help set me straight, I’d sure appreciate it...if you can confirm what I’ve typed, that would be fine too.

I read, we read...there are 50 some-odd knife books in our collection, (including a few by you Greg), and photocopied magazine articles out the wahzoo...

Wheeeuuu...thanks for your time Greg, and hopefully you can answer some of these questions...

Thanks again,

Sincerely,

Sheldon and Edna
AKA ‘Melvin-Purvis’

Mel -

Congrats on the great amount of work you're doing. Most impressive!

1. The SERE folder was a collaborative effort between Al and Nick Rowe. I spoke at length with Al about this as the project was evolving, and saw a number of interesting documents and prototypes. Rowe very much drove the design considerations for the SERE folder. The first knives went to Bragg and were sterile (no markings). After that the knife became a production offering.

2. The SERE 5 was a variation of the orginal SERE fixed blade. I am the source of the serration feature added to the fixed blade version. We featured this knife on the cover of FK in the early years.

3. The Border Patrol model of the SERE fixed blade was specific to the BP per their request. Then it also became a production offering.

4. I saw the Yancey AF fighter for the first time at Al's shop in Lake Oswego circa 1986. White handle. At the time Al related the colonel (Rex) wanted to see the knife go into production so he could put more of them out there for the benefit of those wanting/needing such a blade. Al took on the project and although, over the years it was offered, the knife was not a money maker for AMK it did keep the design alive. Al did likewise for the Smatchet. He was very respectful and fond of Applegate in this regard. Rex's mandate that AMK A-Fs feature olive green handles - according to Al as related to me - killed the knife commercially for him. They were flat out ugly and no one at the time was drawn to an OD grip. Rex's thought process was that he felt it important for the potential buyer to be able to tell the difference between the custom and production knives which he (the colonel) was still offering privately. Interesting thought but unnecessary and - as noted - a boondoggle for Al. This mistake in marketing was not repeated when BJ was provided the contract to make the knife. The AMK variations (Pakkawood, for example) came from Japan where many AMK models were marketed in Europe (German PX, for example)that weren't seen in the US market. For example, the brass handled Fairbairn-Sykes style fighting knife from AMK was first showed up in Europe.

5. Harsey has done a wonderful job with the A-F over the years. Any evolution of this knife coming from Bill is - in my opinion - the best possible choice for a buyer.

6. FK addressed the Blackjack effort ref: the A-F.

That's all I can recall off-hand.

Hope it helps some.

Thanks Greg, nice response!

Well, when it rains it pours! Today was a good day, the skies cleared, and the 'gods' shined down good fortune on us!

In addition to your helpful information, I received a phone call from a fellow RMK collector advising me that he'd obtained some rare copies of the Japanese magazine 'Knife', issues #92 and #93, those with the excellent color glossy photo's of Randall Made Knives from 1940-1960! :eek:

It was a two part write-up, and he had an extra 'set' if I wanted them...badda bing, lickity spilt, 30 minutes from my 'jammies' to his front door! :D (Thanks Harold!)

Low and behold, there was a picture of the prototype A/F that Rex had Bo make. It looks more like a F/S on steroids, but answered my 'chicken or egg' question about which came first...the RMK #2, or the A/F prototype. (The RMK model #2 predates the A/F prototype by over a year).

To make the day complete, I came home to the Applegate estate auction catalog from J. C. Devine...a regular plethera of A/F 'stuff', including page after page of examples of the evolution of the A/F fighting knife in all of it's incarnations.

(I wish we could have met the good Col., but his memory lives on with us).

So, now I have more answers to my RMK, AMK, and A/F questions. Yes, it was a good day! :)

Thanks again for the kind words Greg, and if anyone is interested in my updated version of the A/F 'saga', I'll post more here.

It's amazing how little we know, when we think we know much...lol

(I was wrong on my production #'s for the white handled models, and in what sequence the white handles were implimented, on all counts...so I should probably come back and clean that part up.)

More later

Mel

Back