Smatchet ?

Any comments about full size Smatchets? There are the Al Mars, Buck (Wells Creek) and new Bokers and Eight Dollar Mountain Forge. How are they as a general utility blade for chopping kindling, making stakes, etc. Are the edges too delicate for camp chores, strictly to be reserved for defense functions? At first glance they look like an intersting combination of Kukri/Bowie functions.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks

Tactical Knives did a review od the new Boker one.

Notice that on all of the different versions, there are different grinds. The new Boker's grind lined meet right in the boddlw, while the other ones are more of a saber dagger grind. The other grinds would be stronger, but not cut as well. The $8 mountain version is made of L6 steel I think. That is one tough knife.

I thinka large double edged blade can be a great tool. Sharpen oen edge to a chopping edge and thin the other edge out to a fine slicing edge, and you have 2 tools in one.

I have the EDMF version of the smatchete. It has a 10" blade and a hand guard. The blade is about 3/16" thick. It has sharpened edge about half way down the back, so it is not truly double edged like the other versions you mentioned. The blade is some version of carbon steel, L6 I think, but maybe something different. The edge hold up very well. I dont recall it ever chipping really, or dinging up really bad, even when I was throwing the thing. It splits wood pretty good, but its overall chopping ability is in question. I think the edges could have been ground with a higher bevel to improve the chopping ability. I caught my step brother using it to chop dirt once. It was very dull, but no damage. The balance it a little toward the handle, so maybe the 11" blade would chop better. I havent used it in a while, so I dont have any recent stories about it.
Also, I havent done any comparisons w/ any other version of the smatchete.

Back