Smith & Wesson safety question

BlackKnight86

Say my name, cheesers!
Hi, Guys!

I have a question regarding the trigger lock safety (the “Hillary Hole”) on the newer Smith and Wessons. My question is, besides blocking the action, is it connected in any way to the action such that removal would adversely impact function?

The reason I ask is, I have a featherweight snub 357, and I’m thinking of adding it into my carry rotation. I’m researching the potential issue where the lock could possibly engage with recoil on the magnum featherweights; so I’m preparing for the possibility I might want to remove that safety and plug the hole. I have been looking into how to do that; I just want to be sure that it will not adversely affect the action itself, once the lock and associated material is gone, and the hole is plugged.

I am aware of legalities associated with disabling a safety on a firearm; and I am taking that into account in my decision. My biggest issue is loss of function in a time of need, though; so that would trump all other considerations if my putting the gun through it’s paces does not leave me confident that that lock won’t be an issue.

Thanks so much!

BK86

I plugged all of mine. It doesn’t effect anything except the lock. No idea were to get plugs now.

I’ve done a 442, 340pd, 327, 627. No problems.

I can’t remember if I did my 617 or 317. But I wasn’t worried about them.

I plugged all of mine. It doesn’t effect anything except the lock. No idea were to get plugs now.

I’ve done a 442, 340pd, 327, 627. No problems.

I can’t remember if I did my 617 or 317. But I wasn’t worried about them.
Thanks!

BlackKnight86 BlackKnight86 FWIW, The consensus is that it’s not a safety, it’s a storage device.

Also it definitely can lock itself under recoil, the lighter the gun and the heavier the loads the more likely it is to happen.

On the Jframes it leaves a tiny hole from a pin that gets removed. I used an office hole punch to punch out circles from a weather proof sticker. Just to keep out stuff. If they weren’t centennials I would not have bothered. View attachment 1462485
As a side note the Crimson Trace grips on my 340pd have a gel pad in the back strap. They are excellent grips even without the laser. I shoot full house magnums from this gun without a problem. As you know these small S&W Aluminum AirLite J frame .357’s have a well earned reputation for having brutal recoil.

Last edited:
I know I’m in the minority, but I like the lock. I’ve never had one seize up, even with full power .357 loads in a scandium alloy model.
Perfect example why I like them...I was at a buddy’s house shooting pool, and we decided to go out to have a few drinks. I had a 642 on my hip, and wasn’t going home to drop it off, so I unloaded and locked the thing up, and put it in the top of his bedroom closet. It would have been safe without the lock, but it gave me a little piece of mind knowing that unless someone found a way to overcome that lock, it wasn’t much more than an aluminum paperweight.

I get what you are saying. I keep a trigger lock in my glove box for emergencies. For the record I quit drinking all together when I started carrying a gun.

My 340pd locked up at the range on its own.

I don’t wear aftershave when I carry. The alcohol threshold in MI is 0.01 grams per deciliter.

Back