Smock vs. Ikuchi

I think it depends on what I wanted to do with it. The Ikuchi is damn sexy, but it's also got a very slim handle, which I find is a liability when cutting for an extended period of time or making a cut through particularly tough media. The Smock looks significantly better in that regard, with a larger, more robust handle. I think it would be a better all arounder, with the Ikuchi being more suited to office or dress carry, or even to be paired with another, larger blade.

I think it depends on what I wanted to do with it. The Ikuchi is damn sexy, but it's also got a very slim handle, which I find is a liability when cutting for an extended period of time or making a cut through particularly tough media. The Smock looks significantly better in that regard, with a larger, more robust handle. I think it would be a better all arounder, with the Ikuchi being more suited to office or dress carry, or even to be paired with another, larger blade.
The answer is always; "Get both".

Have had my Ikuchi for about a week, Smock just got here today. I'm left handed and have 2XL glove size mitts. Smock is quite comfortable and even though not a fantastic looker I find that the flat sort of landing pad allows use of the unsightly "choil" area even with my large fingers. More to the point of my liking the Smock is it is as close to ambidextrous as spyderco makes, and opening/closing is quite nice.

I find it much easier to use then my Manix 2s which I usually have to slightly reposition in hand to work the ball lock, not huge but not as easy as the button on the Smock. My left handed PM2 is fairly easy to use the compression lock, but Smock button is much easier. I like the blade shape on the Smock but agree with popular opinion the choil is not pleasing to the eye.

As for the Ikuchi I also enjoy it and it will probably remain in my collection, I love how it rides in the pocket, feels decent in hand, once you get used to the wheel deployment its use is great. If you try to short stroke the Ikuchi to open, it can get a bit abrasive to the finger. For me the trick to it is to get my finger along the full jimped area in a curved finger landing and use a longer stroke to open. Left handing the Ikuchi is not bad, for me it lies between a PM3 (harder) and a PM2 (easier). The only concern for the Ikuchi is the tip, the potential for a mishap is real, purposely locating the knife for a blind grab is a necessity. Need to consider how you carry it in a non-traditional manner is a must if you want to minimize the risk of being bitten by that tip.

For me overall both the Smock and Ikuchi are winners, both have Good and bad. Neither will take over as an EDC blade but they have a spot in my carry.

8DCeMgm.jpg

qxu3UQw.jpg

pUADXzc.jpg

The "choil" on the smock is relief for the button lock, not a finger choil... Just sayin... I also cant stand the smock, sorry... Just no

The "choil" on the smock is relief for the button lock, not a finger choil... Just sayin... I also cant stand the smock, sorry... Just no

Yeah, that is a bit obvious. it does however function as a spot to land your finger.

Smock all day. The button release is fantastic. It is now my favorite lock Spyderco makes. The action is really really good, the corner flipper tab is out of the way and very effective. It spydieflicks like a champ.

The "choil" is much ado about nothing. It is just there, it doesn't really cause problems. What people don't understand about the blade on the Smock is that the hollow grind is SHAAARRRRRPPPPP....
Despite not being a FFG, and a little thicker on the stock material, it cuts very very well.

The Ikuchi, I like, but I am not in love with the blade shape, the compression lock is kind of buried and you can't use the spyderhole to open it, plus the "ikuchi bite." Those minor things put the Smock ahead of it for me.

Smock all day. The button release is fantastic. It is now my favorite lock Spyderco makes. The action is really really good, the corner flipper tab is out of the way and very effective. It spydieflicks like a champ.

The "choil" is much ado about nothing. It is just there, it doesn't really cause problems. What people don't understand about the blade on the Smock is that the hollow grind is SHAAARRRRRPPPPP....
Despite not being a FFG, and a little thicker on the stock material, it cuts very very well.

The Ikuchi, I like, but I am not in love with the blade shape, the compression lock is kind of buried and you can't use the spyderhole to open it, plus the "ikuchi bite." Those minor things put the Smock ahead of it for me.
I wish Knife Center gets the Smock back in stock, would love to try it out.

I only have the ikuchi and I really like it so far, the smock has a very striking overall appearance but it doesn't jump out to me as a "must have knife" unlike when I first saw the ikuchi that said I'm not opposed to having one one day it just isnt top of the list

I wish i could try the Smock. Here's a neat idea... make more????????????????????????????????????

anyone else tired of seeing used up smocks on ebay going for +250???? so greedy.

Last edited:
yeah those are always gone as soon as they're posted. i shouldn't have to stalk every forums/stores just to buy a smock that's not even discontinued. literally every scummy reseller is already on it.

Hopefully some of the dealers are getting some more of these and have enough to go around!:eek::)

yes:D
They are both wonders of design. They share some superficial similarities (Taichung, CF/g10, s30v, compression-ish lock). But feel in hand, while both good, is very different. Use will likely be different too, but kind of early still on that front.

I got the Smock first, and knew it was a keeper. I got the Ikuchi, and like it a bit more:oops:. Would I get the Smock if I had received the Ikuchi first...absolutely.
And - Where are the pics??!!
Threw a Para3 in there, for @MaxFactor. My Para3's aren't jealous.

oyCNL0F.jpg

NSbgYQd.jpg

Finally some pix, new to Spyderco so pix keep me from having to Google each one. Both nice knives but oh so different not really seeing the comparison(maybe just a new guy's perception).

Just called Knifecenter, it’s still a couple of weeks out on the Smock pre order, bummer:(

Back