Snap of my C.S. folding tool/toys

Pretty much a double win when a company upgrades steel and excretes the old for give way prices. Steel for a steal. You can quote me on that.

Happened with Kabar ZK "Death Dagger" which was upgraded fron SK5 to 1095 CroVan, as with the others in that line. I got 2 SK5s on KC for around 30 each, shipped.

I missed the boat on the ZK Chop Stick, a model they completely did away with.

I know. My original intention as metal detecting season shut down and I focused on knives again was to get into the new steel. But I quickly realized that I will never see deals like this transition again. Some of my buys are just larks, fun toys. Some will never slice anything more than a sheet of paper. I have some 711 Moras coming in because I always wanted to try that spongy grip that so many praise. Do I need them ?, I likely have around 15 Moras already. I am also waiting for another Aus Recon Tanto fixed to arrive, likely tomorrow. Then I will grab one more Aus SRK.....I think that I will enter the new steel after that. Almost bought a Recon 1 clip a while back, so that may be my new steel entry, who knows.

Well for sure I am discrete were I bring these behemoths, which is primary out of town for me. I might get another Raja to beat up while wood processing. I'd like to keep a well treated back up. Actually I have been doubling up some knives lately.
I live in one of those large cities where everyone is scared of everything, so being discrete, even with a SAK, is my only option. Because of work and my schedule I don't get the chance to leave town often, either. This unfortunately means that my Spartan, large Espada and Rajah II spend far too much time on my shelf.

No problem. :)
For the most part, my experience of knives and the public has been positive.
While at a Tim Horton's after a Christmas Exchange from a few years back, I was there with two other guys, and a bunch of knives. The largest was a 13 inch blade Condor Golok Machete that I had modified (the guy I was doing a follow-up with chose the Spyderco Superhawk instead).

Rather than being scared, a guy walked over and asked if he could borrow a knife...he was trying to cut/pry his way into a container.
One of the other people at the table loaned him a knife, and I was sure the fellow would stab his own hand the way he was going about it.
He didn't but the container wouldn't open either.

But to think that you could sit at a table in a coffee shop in a city of 200 thousand people with a machete and a bunch of other knives without people freaking out is pretty cool. :thumbup:
The biggest thing though was the vibe being thrown off; we looked like a bunch of collectors rather than terrorists. Body language counts for sure.

That sounds like quite the experience.:thumbup: I could never do that in this city without the police showing up within minutes; the climate is one of fear. They have a history of unjustifiably shooting people with knives, so I need to be cautious and low-key with my knife carry/use. Then again, you're right about the vibe. I don't bother or threaten people; I just keep to myself and mind my own business, and the knife only comes out when something needs to be cut.

Back