sneak peek at my upcoming dao project - input requested - jian added

Nice end result. I too would have omitted the etch.

Just out of curiosity, what did the heat treat protocol they had for the 3v put the final hardness at? With 3V I would expect high 50's.

Keffler seems to have the heat treat perfected on the blades he does, because I have seen some performance video's that are impressive from a performance, and toughness perspective!

Hardness is actually at 60 RC, I believe. According to Dan, 3V can get that hard, while still retaining full toughness. From what I've seen so far, I believe it.

Hardness is actually at 60 RC, I believe. According to Dan, 3V can get that hard, while still retaining full toughness. From what I've seen so far, I believe it.

I'm very impressed. Can you try to make one that's very very simple? Perhaps something without a fuller but with a slightly different blade profile to keep the weight the same, and a simple handle with no embellishment? I like the general design, but i think something more utilitarian might be more attractive to me.

Eventually this one will get some more work. I have a couple other projects that need to come first, and I need to finish up a few blades first so I can afford to experiment more.

I have beaten on some wood, but I haven't put an edge on it yet. It actually chops quite well for something that's unsharpened. I want to finish the scabbard before I put on a nice convex edge, but that's a process as well.

I'll probably finish a couple of the smaller bush sword versions first before I complete this one.

Back