Snowshoes

jmh33

Gold Member
Does any one snow shoe?? I am looking at buying a pair (tired of renting) of ss.. Right now I am looking at MSR Revo Trials.. I have to have a pr of light weight shoes as I have a prosthetic lf lower leg. Weight range is 160/200lbs..
John

Hi John,
If you're still searching, I have always been impressed with Atlas. ~15 years on the same 12 series and still going strong.

Thank You. Holding off till next year but will keep that in my mind!!
John

Does any one snow shoe?? I am looking at buying a pair (tired of renting) of ss.. Right now I am looking at MSR Revo Trials.. I have to have a pr of light weight shoes as I have a prosthetic lf lower leg. Weight range is 160/200lbs..
John
i suggest you pay a little more and get the MSR lightning explore instead of the Revos. they are lighter and more robust.i've used my MSRs for over 12 years now and they are worth every penny.

i suggest you pay a little more and get the MSR lightning explore instead of the Revos. they are lighter and more robust.i've used my MSRs for over 12 years now and they are worth every penny.
Thank You.🤝 Will check them out!! 👍
John

The question is... what are you going to do with them? I am asking because there are lots of models out there from different manufacturers but basically two categories.

One category is meant for flat terrain, fluffly powdery deeeeeeeeep snow and have soft decks, strap-on bindings suitable for any kind of boot, smooth underside to prevent catching and help sliding forward and don't have any calf relief blocks under the heel (not needed for flat terrain).
Example:
12776399.jpg

The other category is meant for steep terrain, hard/crust snow, not-so-deep powder and are usually meant fo mountaneering boots (they used to have automatic or semi-automatic bindings with toe bail and heel lever lock, now everything seems strap on). They have short spikes at the bottom, hard decks and heel support to prevent calf strain when going uphill. They are also smaller in size than flat terrain snowshoes.
Example (TSL brand has several models):
TSL-225_ml.jpg

And of course, there are also hibrid models that are somwhere in between.

I have a pair of TSL 225 like the ones picture above (yellow ones) with automatic binding that I turned into semi-automatic to be able to use them with not so rigid boots (but steel require heel notch for the lever). I have had them for years and been using them in the Pirinees, Picos de Europa and Alps. They are suuuuuper handy for the aproaches to ice climbs when there is fresh snow. We either go uphill or downhill, so we are not talking leisure walking... And they perform. You can also lock them at the heel so they do not pivot under your toes and you can then use them to kick steps and go up in deep snow steep sections. They are also small enough to strap them to my backpack if I am not coming straight down (otherwise they stay at the bottom of the route).

Now back to you... What are you going to do with your snowshoes???

Mikel

The question is... what are you going to do with them? I am asking because there are lots of models out there from different manufacturers but basically two categories.

One category is meant for flat terrain, fluffly powdery deeeeeeeeep snow and have soft decks, strap-on bindings suitable for any kind of boot, smooth underside to prevent catching and help sliding forward and don't have any calf relief blocks under the heel (not needed for flat terrain).
Example:
12776399.jpg

The other category is meant for steep terrain, hard/crust snow, not-so-deep powder and are usually meant fo mountaneering boots (they used to have automatic or semi-automatic bindings with toe bail and heel lever lock, now everything seems strap on). They have short spikes at the bottom, hard decks and heel support to prevent calf strain when going uphill. They are also smaller in size than flat terrain snowshoes.
Example (TSL brand has several models):
TSL-225_ml.jpg

And of course, there are also hibrid models that are somwhere in between.

I have a pair of TSL 225 like the ones picture above (yellow ones) with automatic binding that I turned into semi-automatic to be able to use them with not so rigid boots (but steel require heel notch for the lever). I have had them for years and been using them in the Pirinees, Picos de Europa and Alps. They are suuuuuper handy for the aproaches to ice climbs when there is fresh snow. We either go uphill or downhill, so we are not talking leisure walking... And they perform. You can also lock them at the heel so they do not pivot under your toes and you can then use them to kick steps and go up in deep snow steep sections. They are also small enough to strap them to my backpack if I am not coming straight down (otherwise they stay at the bottom of the route).

Now back to you... What are you going to do with your snowshoes???

Mikel
Just general hiking.. Nothing to extreme.. Maybe 2-6in of snow as a general idea..
Thanks for taking time to post and your wisdom..
John

Back