Snugpak sleeping bag temp. ratings

Sleeping bag comfort ranges are typically generous, does anyone have views on the published ratings for Snugpak bags? In a Jungle bag on an Exped 7 Synmat or similar pad, can you comfortably reach the rated 45 degrees if you are a warm sleeper?

they (snugpak) don't offer much in the way of fill weight where you might be able to make an educated guess, no en ratings either

you certainly have enough pad for 45 degrees :)

I have the Softie 9 Hawk and have had it down in the low 30's with no problem whatsoever. I cannot speak for how it does at its 23 degree rating, but it's perfect for me at it's size to warmth ratio.

As you probaly know, a nice mat is a big part of staying warm.

I have an Elite 2 rated down to -5C (23F) and I can confirm they are overly generous in their assessment of warmth.

This was confirmed when I spent a very cold night when the thermometer dipped below freezing and I had to drap my coat over my legs and put a heavy jumper on inside the bag. I have now replaced it with a much better Exped down bag. In Europe rating systems are serious business so you can't just claim a rating it has to be independently tested. Mine is rated down to -10C (14F) comfortably, and it weighs less than the Snugpak!

EDIT: after doing a bit of research just now it appears that Snugpak have revised it's stated comfort levels to 0C.

I have an Elite 2 rated down to -5C (23F) and I can confirm they are overly generous in their assessment of warmth.

This was confirmed when I spent a very cold night when the thermometer dipped below freezing and I had to drap my coat over my legs and put a heavy jumper on inside the bag. I have now replaced it with a much better Exped down bag. In Europe rating systems are serious business so you can't just claim a rating it has to be independently tested. Mine is rated down to -10C (14F) comfortably, and it weighs less than the Snugpak!

EDIT: after doing a bit of research just now it appears that Snugpak have revised it's stated comfort levels to 0C.

Hate to rain on your Europe is better than USA parade, but Snugpak is made in England (aka: Australia's Mom). It appears they can just claim a rating in Europe too ;)

Last edited:
I currently use the Snugpak Sleeper-lite square foot rated down to 18 degrees F. I slept pretty comfortable down to 19 degrees this past January. The bag was inside a Eureka Solitaire single person bivy with a Thermarest Ridgerest under it. My feet got a little chilly but my feet get cold very easy. I am happy with my Snugpak bag.

Also remember these temps are while wearing a base layer. A lot of people think you climb in the bag in your underoos and are supposed to be warm. If it’s cold enough for a sleeping bag, it’s probably cold enough for a base layer.

Decklin here on the forum posted a while back that he wouldn’t push his bag past 32 F. Tag, because I’m interested in a Snugpak myself.

Also remember these temps are while wearing a base layer.
..and with a pad under the bag. The stuff I read on Marmot's site says the clothing and pad both have a "consistent thermal value".

What if I'm bigger or smaller than the test dummy, or my clothing and pad don't have the same undefined thermal value? I'm a warm sleeper, and in short baselayers have been comfy in my EN rated bag at least 7 degrees below the EN rating on a pad in an open shelter, and about 13 degrees below it on the same pad in a bivy. What if I was a cold sleeper? What's the thermal rating of my other layers if I add them? Don't know.

It may be government controlled testing with strict standards, but it's still just a guideline. I can appreciate that it's more consistent, and meaningful to me as an individual, than someone sleeping in a freezer and saying "I was warm in that bag last night, but cold in that one the night before", though.

I have found the EN ratings for me (I'm a warm sleeper) to be a little conservative, if your a very cold sleeper they could be a little optimistic, but they are pretty close and comparing two bags your getting to compare apples w/ apples

also for those that haven't noticed, they include a different rating for women- which is very helpful when deciding on a bag for your significant other- what might the perfect 32 degree bag for you, good chance not for the wife/girlfriend

I used a Jungle Bag for my OEF tour. It was a great piece of gear! With a cheap bag liner in it I was good down into the 30's. Of course, that was with a good pad and some shelter.

Hate to rain on your Europe is better than USA parade, but Snugpak is made in England (aka: Australia's Mom). It appears they can just claim a rating in Europe too ;)

Ah yeah I know where snugpak is made. I have one remember. :rolleyes:

I was talking about continental Europe. Snugpak does not adhere to EN13537.

Last edited:
I have a 3 Merlin with a liner and I have stayed out in some pretty cold nights in it.In fact my coldest night out -15 Celsius was in my 3 merlin.I was cool but not freezing.

Back