So there I was...

Looking through the new issue of Tactical Knives...(really Duane showed it to me) when all of a sudden, I find it...
The ultimate advertisement!
Note the knife on the hip...
View

Very cool,
Check out what it says later in the artical,
"We happened to have a real knife expert along on this particular journey by the name of Jerry VanCook. (Man Pictured) Anyone who follows Jerry's articles in TK knows he's well versed in the knife handling department."
Quite a nice endorsement.
BTW Mick, I got my knives back, their better than ever, thanks for the cool bags and t-shirt.
Stratman

Moral of the story? Take "other" knives out into the wilderness to test and evaluate. But take a Strider along to kill the things that would otherwise kill you.

My wife and I were clearing a place to camp this weekend when the shrill rattling sounded. I swear, I'm a friggin' Diamondback magnet. So he was 10 feet away and I picked up a stone the size of a baseball and nailed him in the head. By the time he began regaining consciousness I had him pinned beneath my boots. My wife is going "Okay,...enough playing,.....he's getting pissed. Just kill him." Yes dear. As soon as you give me the digital camera. :D

ZombieKillerSnake.JPG

Apparently it's not just for killing zombies. :)

Eric-
Did you just not have the glock 23 to pop him with this time?!
You were just aching to use that thing weren't ya?!
That's gonna be a nice holster or sheath?
Or maybe some boots or a belt?
cheers,
Derek

Hiya Derek,

I had the Glock with me, but it was sooooo quiet where we had set up camp, and I didn't want anyone hearing the shot and coming around to snoop. So I grabbed a rock and got lucky with the first throw.

This one is skinned out and ready to become a dog collar. He was only 37", which should fit my female pitbull's neck with a few inches to spare. She's a big girl!. :)

This guy was #12 for us this year, and hopefully the last for awhile.

If you're killing diamond backs with an effin' rock, you are more man than I am!
that will be a great collar for a great dog. I've got a rhodesian ridgeback now and she'll be getting a little sister pit this winter.
glad everyone's all right.
cheers,
Derek

I think you won the Strider Photo Contest, Eric, just send that pic to Mick.

I spent some time this summer at the family ranch in Idaho, and I didn't run into any rattlers, but I wanted to get a pick of a Strider in one's skull. I don't like them, but hey, a photo op is a photo op.

Good to see nobody got hurt and you had fun.
Reed

I second that Eric's picture wins the next contest. That's awesome... but wait, it's so cruel to animals...

I am impressed. That's certainly one of the most stunning pictures I have seen in a long time.

Even the shoes look good!!

I cant believe you killed that poor defenseless critter in its own backyard doing nothing but hissing at you!!!! :(
Shoulda scooped it up....passed it on to Ryan; and he could have dropped it in a cave where some of cowards who kill women and children are holed up!! :):):)

The only catch is that the strider contest is supposed to be a costume photo contest as per the prior website's announcement. Maybe it will change.

Oh, and Eric, don't send me any damn snakes. Tom is on crack!

Ryan, the snake WAS in costume before I skinned his ass. Doesn't that count?? He was all decked out in woodland camo. :)

Oh, and Tom, if it make you feel better I gave the snake a big hug for you right before I relieved him of his fatigues. :D

I used to hunt mr no shoulders for FUN! :) We used to go about this time of year and clean dens out and sell them live by the pound. A few years ago I brought a baby rattler home about 8" long. Put him in a cage and fed him mice now and then, I called him Fang. He got bigger and bigger, a real easy pet to have. He didnt like to be petted, didnt want to go on walks, didnt beg, didnt need a litter box etc etc.

He wasnt however very appreciative as one day I am filling his water dish and he bit me on the finger. That was kind of ugly as my finger turned kinda blackish but never went to the doctor for it. I turned him loose the same place I got him, he was about 3 years old and approching 4 foot long. I thought hard about making a hatband out of him but I had a good hatband already! :)

Back