So What Are You Eyeballing?

I know we have the threads for what's on the way and the latest acquisitions, but I'm curious to know what you're pondering. Maybe you're trying to decide on the next purchase or maybe you're trying to choose a special save-up-for buy or maybe even a custom commission.

Tell us what you're ogling and maybe even why. Maybe you'll talk yourself into or out of it as time goes on. I just think it will be interesting and informative to have some insight.

Me?

Right now I'm looking at:

Miguel Nieto Amigo with cocobolo scales. Just a cool looking knife at a decent price.

I will also, at some point, buy a Case Sowbelly and Barlow. One of them will be in yellow Derlin. Not sure which but one of them for sure. Classic! And a Case Large Stockman is really talking to me. I have to admit that I have a fondness for square bolsters so to my eye it's a good looking piece. But I also like the multiple blades and the beastiness of it. Although, the beastiness of it might also be a downfall. I suppose there's only one way to know... :)

So, how about you folks?

Last edited:
Looking forward to GEC 29's, and likely a Case Barlow.. probably second cut bone, but going to hold off a bit to see what other covers show up.

Looking forward to GEC 29's, and likely a Case Barlow.. probably second cut bone, but going to hold off a bit to see what other covers show up.

Why second cut bone? Serious question as I'm not familiar with this beyond seeing it advertised and understanding it's the "remnants" if you will. I've been wondering what the attraction is?

I’m eyeballing the upcoming 2019 Forum Knife because it’ll be a good momento of this forum that my kids will never understand when they divvy up my stuff after they’re done scattering my ashes.

I’ve been on a roll buying post-WW1 to WW2 era scout knives lately, and I’ll likely continue to purchase more, though hopefully at a more desciminating rate. The amazing quality of these knives, and the gorgeous randomly jigged bone covers, really ticks a lot of boxes for me.

But I’m not even sure why I’m eyeballing new knives right now. I’m happily committed to carrying my Camillus army engineer knife for the entirety of 2019, with a little something special from my collection thrown in my pocket each day. So it’s not like I’m searching for a new knife to use right now.

“Eyeballing” is too immediate a term, but I am thinking about a puukko. Not a puukko in particular, but something traditional like a Tommi. There is no hurry. I have to give a lot of thought to what I want.

In the meantime, I have a lot of knives to use, fiddle with, or modify.

Lionsteel TI Spine, Olamic Wayfarer and Hinderer XM 18 are my top three shortlist knives....... Still on the fence of the TI Spine only because I usually prefer flippers but the knife is such a nice gentlemens carry that I just want to have one in my collection. I reached out to DPX since they're in San Diego and so am I, I was told they will be making an Aculus flipper soon, so I may just hold out for one of those.

I’ve already picked out my next purchases for the first of the month:

1. Case Gunboat in blue bone
2. Case Seahorse Whittler in mint green bone
3. Percent Esee Azulla 2

Was going for the Benchmade Proper, but hearing about them destroying firearms for an Oregon police department turned me off.

Why second cut bone? Serious question as I'm not familiar with this beyond seeing it advertised and understanding it's the "remnants" if you will. I've been wondering what the attraction is?

Cosmetic.. Case "second cut" is their term like GEC cougar claw, or queen winter bottom. None of the three are remenents, just deep lines cut in the bone..a bit like stag with groves or channels. Out of the current options its my favorite. I'm hoping throughout the year we will see more options pop up.. I'm sure we will.

Edit.. the one I'm looking at is called Campfire bone. It's a bit confusing because the description mentions second cut and that's what stuck in my head because it looks just like cases second cut.

Last edited:
Cosmetic.. Case "second cut" is their term like GEC cougar claw, or queen winter bottom. None of the three are remenents, just deep lines cut in the bone..a bit like stag with groves or channels. Out of the current options its my favorite. I'm hoping throughout the year we will see more options pop up.. I'm sure we will.

Edit.. the one I'm looking at is called Campfire bone. It's a bit confusing because the description mentions second cut and that's what stuck in my head because it looks just like cases second cut.

Thank you. I'd read somewhere that it is the layer left after making the first pass scales. I dug deeper and see now that was wrong.

I am not much of a fixed blade fan but there is a teenage girl making some very nice ones with a hamon a role the continent from me, too cool to not get

Eyeballing has the connotation of having located and just twitching on the trigger. I haven’t located, but am keeping my eye out for a Queen medium stockman in D2 with yellow Delrin.

I have too many knives now that I don't really eyeball anything. I can look at pictures of knives all day. If I see something I like I'll pounce. Doesn't happen too often anymore. But if something trips my trigger, I'll grab it. Otherwise -

"He who hesitates is lost."

“Eyeballing” is too immediate a term, but I am thinking about a puukko. Not a puukko in particular, but something traditional like a Tommi.

Won't go wrong with a Tommi.

12680620115_b3f7c1cf92_c.jpg

I haven't bought any knives yet in 2019, but I'm always looking. I've been looking at SAKs lately. I've had a Victorinox Manager on my key ring for at least 2 years and it has about everything I may need occasionally, so I don't really need another. That said, I've been looking at something a little larger like the SWIZA line or several Victorinox models. Specifically, I've been looking at the Alox Electrician, Alox Bantam (which looks like it can still be ordered directly from the factory), and the Evowood 10. I keep talking myself out of ordering one of these 4, but I still look.

I am only looking to replace a couple that I sold and later wished I hadn't, a GEC 79 and a Canal Street Canittler. I don't expect to find either one, but it never hurts to look. Other than that I am more likely to be selling a few.

I havent eyeballed any yet, but I am wanting to look for a better condition barrel knife. Maybe a custom.

Back