So, what's the overall opinion of La Griffe?

I am about to get one. Is this thing big enough to be practical? Anybody put anything on the handle yet? What are it's best uses, as well as some general pros and cons? Thanks to all.

-Bart

Bart, I consider the La Griffe a viable &
discreet SECONDARY weapon/tool. It has it's obvious limitations (i.e. size, blade shape etc.). One HUGE advantage to it is one can Grapple w/ it. Bringing one to "Bargining Position" w/ complete confidence and control.
It is not AS effective in say "Largo" (long)
range as a blade of greater length. So you need to understand it's limitations and your abilities. Handle is'nt really a problem because even considering Weapon impact, Shock Impact it's blade is'nt really long enough to encounter different "Media" in the body, It does'nt really address the critical 3 - 4 inches of penetration necessary to encounter bone, Of course its possible to and there are some obvious locations on the body where one can, but the preponderence is
not. However, it is lethal and as such
can be effective given the proper peramiters.
Hope that has been helpful.

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

[This message has been edited by Tamishigiri (edited 13 October 1999).]

As Fred Perrin has said part of the reason he made it so small is that it would be too easy for him to kill with it if it was bigger. Remember that knife to knife duels are very rare.

I have no illusions about what a small knife's limitations are. That said the LaGriffe is a potent edged tool. It is a great back-up "oh sh*t!!" tool. Its size encourages carry- very important. It allows for very intuitive strikes. For example someone who was simply punching could go a long way to get out of a situation with the LaGriffe- reverse grip punch strikes too. The finger hole and handle insure retention- very pragmatic. This is a real "I need it now, roll around on the ground" scrapper. That's really important since most situations are not your classic mano-e-mano square off. Both Fred Perrin And Laci szabo in particular make bigger variations of this theme which are sobering studies in steel.

------------------
Never argue with a man that wears a size 5 hat.

[This message has been edited by arkhamdrifter (edited 13 October 1999).]

[This message has been edited by arkhamdrifter (edited 13 October 1999).]

I think that my Emerson LaGriffe is great. The knife is unobtrusive and quite flat making it very easy to conceal and not a pain to carry.

The handle is the best I have seen on any production neck knife. Granted, the handle is small but the hole makes the knife so secure. It also sits properly in the hand when you grip it. Many other neck knives will not allow you to line up the edge with your knuckles properly when gripping it. One such blade that comes to minds is the REKAT Fang which I think has a terrible handle. Fred Perrin's hole solves the problem.

The knife can be used regularly for smaller chores and occassionally for large tasks but I recommend that you do not go too hard with the knife too often. For me, the knife is a backup, specifically in a defensive role.

As Tamishigiri mentioned, you do not fight largo with this blade. This knife is for accuracy and up close defensive work. It's more of a sting or bite that may give you the time to run or do something else.

Jason

I like the La Griffe. It is a great little tool. I have it mounted on one of the shoulder straps on my Camelbak.

It is terrific for fishing, very handy when your hands are slippery and you need to cut line.

Lance, pleasure meeting you at the Blade show, thanks for letting me play with your collection.

Stop by IMB if you can. I try to make it on Monday nights now, when I have a chance.

Dave

I just received mine yesterday, I seen it in Atlanta at The Blade Show and I was thoroughly impressed with it.

I tried the JSP Pinch Cord with it, and that was a nice addition, but would allow someone something to grab onto in CQC. I took that back off so it can ride on something else, but the Pinch Cord did feel great on it. Did not look bad either.

My wife seen the La Griffe and immediately fell in love with it.

My personal thoughts on this little tool...it would be a devastatingly effective CQC Weapon, with a big thumbs up in the Anti-Grappling Department.

The blade is just long enough to perform some effective cuts on the limbs, the vitals of the throat would be accessible if need be... But the backs of the hands (grappling releases) and the forehead (blood flow in the eyes) are probably the prime targets. Leverage points to get a "reaction," eye socket, collarbone, under jaw line, etc., etc., etc...

This means I have to buy 2 more, one for my wife and one to dull to try out on training partners.

Also, a wrist sheath for this knife would be a snap...buy a watchband and Sports Shops called a, "Shark Leash." Burn a hole in the Strap and insert a Chicago (2 piece screw) Screw through the Neck Cord hole in the Kydex...a beautiful rig for Anti-Grappling...and immediate "back-up." you could probably carry it all day long with no problem.

I got my Griffe and am prettyy impressed with it. I have never had one of Fred's Griffes in my hand, but I didn't really think ablade this small would be anything other than a toy.... wrong was I! This is a neat lttle tool. Very syurdy in the hand due to the hloe. I may put some diamond wrap on the handle behind the hole, but it really doesn't need it. Very secure.

I did some pretty hard thrusts into a tree with no point damage and no worry of slipping. Also, I filled a 3 liter bottle with water and took a big slash at it - OOOO, neat! Felt almost like I missed it, but the 6" gash across it said I did not. That little point is the first thing to hit and there is very little resistance as the curved edge goes swipping through. I also did some cuts on a free hanging rag and the little point really bit in.

When I got back home, I thinned the edge down some and just put a steep bevel (about what it came with) right on the edgeand the tip. I tried not to thin the tip at all, but I guess I did a little. It's better than ever now. This would be a mean little backup if need be! I am also going to take it white tail hunting this season and see how it zips open a deer - I have got a good idea.

Sorry this is so long over a $40 knife! I am impressed with the design though.

-Bart

Anyone know the legality and restriction of neck knives in the state of IL or NV(going there this weekend)? Is there a blade length limitation? Does it have to be in plain view or can it be hidden?

Thank

Jim

Squid-

I actually got this one from an individual for $25. I think a wholesaler's cost is 35, so if you know the right people, you could get one for $40 or so.

-Bart

I have the Emerson version and I love it.
I took the para cord off of the neck sheath and gave it the BladeRigger V-Stat treatment, now it rides with a Static Cord on the outside of my EQ Bag.

Back