So, what's the status of the

...GSO 4.1?

I asked this on FB and got a bunch of memes and few responses. Anyone know what's up with the GSO 4.1 preorders from mid 2016? I remember when I ordered, it seemed like it would just be a few months to get the knife since they were fulfilling the original pre-order at that time, and this was a limited time offering since they had extra stock.

This is not a gripey, angry post -- I don't mind waiting for an awesome knife. I'm just hoping someone might know when we would actually be getting the order, or why it's been an extra year wait?

Well I had one on order from March 2017 (a 2nd). If they were close to shipping I'm pretty sure they would've told me that when I cancelled my order the other day. The only response was "no problem, well process your refund".

This makes me think there are no knives coming any time soon.

Clearly not even Survive knows when they'll be ready. If they can't know when they can make a knife, any "answer" offered here is only guessing.

And it has been an extra year because the team at Survive is in well above their heads.

GSO 4.1 current status: low ranking knife meme

Heres to movin up in the world, guys, hell yea!

...GSO 4.1?

Hey R ribstabsheart , in case you didn't get the recent e-mail, it is pasted here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/1st-friday-production-updates.1224385/page-26#post-17888115

This month we are working on:
  • A final batch of GSO-4.1 Starter orders and then Preorders from May and June of 2015...

I will add that I received my factory 2nd GSO-4.1 back in December and received my Starter GSO-4.1 this past month. They are definitely shipping out in decent batches and are the top priority right now but I am sure that S!K still has hundreds of orders to get through. Yours is coming! :cool: As to why the long wait, you can read up on some threads here as well as in their posts on instagram.
To give a quick summary, they ran into some major production issues with flawed blanks, flawed handle scales, and Guy trying to fix all the errors by hand in the S!K workshop. Things recently sped up thanks to an assist from Millit letting Guy use one of their machines to fix the handle scales. They are catching up with orders but are still way behind. Hang in there if you can, the pace is increasing.

Also, know that S!K is notoriously bad at predicting when a given knife/order will be ready for delivery if it isn't sitting ready with it's box and shipping label. They ship each knife when it is ready and do not tend to bump things up in line without strong reason, but a knife ordered later may go out sooner than a knife ordered earlier based simply on the materials on hand (proper scale and sheath configuration) or if it was an order with an intended 90-day guarantee that is long past (those have priority over Starters and Pre-orders, as I understand it).

Good luck that your knife may be among the next batch shipping out! :thumbsup:

Thank you for the helpful response! I dunno how to take that update exactly, but I'm hopeful that I'll get it this year. If it took them 3 years to get to the current pre orders, I guess I may be waiting til 2019, but I hope not.

Ironically, I ordered the 4.1 after my 6 because I thought I would have a knife to try in the meantime (sometime in late 2016). Didn't quite work out that way, haha!

...GSO 4.1?

I asked this on FB and got a bunch of memes and few responses. Anyone know what's up with the GSO 4.1 preorders from mid 2016? I remember when I ordered, it seemed like it would just be a few months to get the knife since they were fulfilling the original pre-order at that time, and this was a limited time offering since they had extra stock.

This is not a gripey, angry post -- I don't mind waiting for an awesome knife. I'm just hoping someone might know when we would actually be getting the order, or why it's been an extra year wait?

I think you have the gist of things thanks to the helpful folks here. But just to summarize, we are behind on those but we are working on them and we are always looking for ways to do things faster (as long as the quality level stays the same or gets better). There will be a bit more news in the April 1st Friday Newsletter, about plans to increase output. I know we've said that before, but this change should be big enough that you will definitely notice.

Well I had one on order from March 2017 (a 2nd). If they were close to shipping I'm pretty sure they would've told me that when I cancelled my order the other day. The only response was "no problem, well process your refund".

This makes me think there are no knives coming any time soon.

Not necessarily. There were fewer options for the Factory 2nds so it is quick and easy to use any refunded Factory 2nd knives on an order that is only slightly further down the line. With Guy taking a couple trips down to Millit recently it is hard to know exactly when a particular order is going to ship, even if it is built already. On his first trip Guy returned a few days later than we had originally intended, throwing off our scheduling completely. Without a guaranteed delivery date and knowing the knife could easily be used for another order, Jordyn probably felt it was better to just do the refund for this instance.

Any updates on the 7/7 Starters?
It seems like a few got out in 2017 and the rest got shelved...
Ordered in Apr 2015.

Not necessarily. There were fewer options for the Factory 2nds so it is quick and easy to use any refunded Factory 2nd knives on an order that is only slightly further down the line. With Guy taking a couple trips down to Millit recently it is hard to know exactly when a particular order is going to ship, even if it is built already. On his first trip Guy returned a few days later than we had originally intended, throwing off our scheduling completely. Without a guaranteed delivery date and knowing the knife could easily be used for another order, Jordyn probably felt it was better to just do the refund for this instance.

I'm trying to understand this, the knife was marketed as a second, and a year later it's still not delivered? I'm fairly new here but I remember this company as exciting and has a great potential when I bought an EDC 4 years ago.

It didn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Alas, I tapped and moved on. Just know there are levels of bad business here. Not just the time lines.

I'm trying to understand this, the knife was marketed as a second, and a year later it's still not delivered? I'm fairly new here but I remember this company as exciting and has a great potential when I bought an EDC 4 years ago.

EDC4 was back in 2012, right?
I missed out on that model but pics of it were what brought me to S!K and I got in on the GSO-10 run at the end of that year.

Guy saw his business' popularity flourish, he increased production and put out a BUNCH of models - GSO-10, 4.1, 5.1, 5, 6, 7/7, 3.5, SK-4, Necker, Necker II - and revised some of the designs while also packing up and moving (with his few employees/family) from PA to ID. They had been hitting production delays and had intended to stop taking pre-orders, but demand kept up and they initiated a "Starter Campaign" (like Kick-starter but on their own) as well as pre-oreders, pre-sales, etc. (it gets pretty confusing there) and began production of re-designed versions of some models and a few new ones as well...

Well, S!K has some pretty high standards for what qualifies as a "factory first", and some of the blades, scales, etching, etc. weren't meeting those standards, so they began setting those parts aside and offering the blades as "seconds" (and marking them as such, first with a tang-divot and later with laser-etch). The thing is, "seconds" can be pulled from the line at various stages of production and it may be a while before they are finished up. Further, even a "second" is customizable with regard to scales and sheath. S!K had been in the practice of listing seconds as soon as the blade was known about and then just building the order in line with other orders. But they kept getting further and further back-logged and have now stopped taking orders altogether. They are still working hard and finishing and shipping out knives while also continuing production on pre-ordered models (some are at water-jet, other have been getting surface-ground, handle-scales and sheaths are being produced and brought in, others are in house). But S!K is still really small in itself and it is taking them a LONG time to get through the orders they have. So for those waiting, their knives will come eventually, but even purchased "seconds" have been taking a long time to ship. For example, I ordered a Factory Second 4.1 in late February '17 and received it in late December, some 10 months later. That kind of delay is not acceptable to a lot of people, especially when initial stated delivery estimates were MUCH shorter (weeks, eventually 90 days, then dropped). However, S!K is still shipping out knives. Indeed, I am confident that those who don't tap out will receive each and every knife ordered... but it is taking a lot of patience for those waiting :oops:

Anyway, I hope that answers your questions. S!K was a very exciting company with great potential, it is now a company struggling to catch up (and sworn-off by some on BF), but it remains a company with great potential to be just as exciting again :) I look forward to that future while continuing to enjoy the S!K models I currently have.

I missed out on that model but pics of it were what brought me to S!K and I got in on the GSO-10 run at the end of that year.

Guy saw his business' popularity flourish, he increased production and put out a BUNCH of models - GSO-10, 4.1, 5.1, 5, 6, 7/7, 3.5, SK-4, Necker, Necker II - and revised some of the designs while also packing up and moving (with his few employees/family) from PA to ID. They had been hitting production delays and had intended to stop taking pre-orders, but demand kept up and they initiated a "Starter Campaign" (like Kick-starter but on their own) as well as pre-oreders, pre-sales, etc. (it gets pretty confusing there) and began production of re-designed versions of some models and a few new ones as well...

Well, S!K has some pretty high standards for what qualifies as a "factory first", and some of the blades, scales, etching, etc. weren't meeting those standards, so they began setting those parts aside and offering the blades as "seconds" (and marking them as such, first with a tang-divot and later with laser-etch). The thing is, "seconds" can be pulled from the line at various stages of production and it may be a while before they are finished up. Further, even a "second" is customizable with regard to scales and sheath. S!K had been in the practice of listing seconds as soon as the blade was known about and then just building the order in line with other orders. But they kept getting further and further back-logged and have now stopped taking orders altogether. They are still working hard and finishing and shipping out knives while also continuing production on pre-ordered models (some are at water-jet, other have been getting surface-ground, handle-scales and sheaths are being produced and brought in, others are in house). But S!K is still really small in itself and it is taking them a LONG time to get through the orders they have. So for those waiting, their knives will come eventually, but even purchased "seconds" have been taking a long time to ship. For example, I ordered a Factory Second 4.1 in late February '17 and received it in late December, some 10 months later. That kind of delay is not acceptable to a lot of people, especially when initial stated delivery estimates were MUCH shorter (weeks, eventually 90 days, then dropped). However, S!K is still shipping out knives. Indeed, I am confident that those who don't tap out will receive each and every knife ordered... but it is taking a lot of patience for those waiting :oops:

Anyway, I hope that answers your questions. S!K was a very exciting company with great potential, it is now a company struggling to catch up (and sworn-off by some on BF), but it remains a company with great potential to be just as exciting again :) I look forward to that future while continuing to enjoy the S!K models I currently have.
So much b.s. in this post.

They sell "seconds" before they know they have them.

3 years waiting on a 90 day knife.

Why they get a pass on this stuff is baffling to most of bfc.

So much b.s. in this post.

They sell "seconds" before they know they have them.

3 years waiting on a 90 day knife.

Why they get a pass on this stuff is baffling to most of bfc.
Two reasons actually, which are arguably interlinked.

a) Because enough people put up with it.
b) The DO make a really really nice product.

But... on another subject, Is SK! even still selling knives? besides the rare occasional monday or 2nd, I don't see where SK! is even selling knives anymore and for some time now.. How are they even getting revenue? I don't understand how a company can stay in business without ongoing sales- but it's good to see they are at least working on their back orders.

Last edited:

Thanks for all the information you provided. I believe Guy should read up on Lean six-sigma to help run his business better.

Guy was born to be a village blacksmith, but they don't have those anymore.
Lean six-sigma is, I think, exactly the sort of things that he wants to avoid. ;)
As long as Guy keeps making knives I'm going to follow what he is doing because I find his thinking refreshing in a excessively corporate world.
That said, I will be really happy for him when his backlog has been worked down. :)

Two reasons actually, which are arguably interlinked.

a) Because enough people put up with it.
b) The DO make a really really nice product.

But... on another subject, Is SK! even still selling knives? besides the rare occasional monday or 2nd, I don't see where SK! is even selling knives anymore and for some time now.. How are they even getting revenue? I don't understand how a company can stay in business without ongoing sales- but it's good to see they are at least working on their back orders.

Maybe from playing the stock market and market timing was good (lol).

Back