So who is ready for a pass around

I have a prototype that I am ready to put in users hands any one out there interested?

Last edited:
If it is one of the ones I saw after blade...Count me in!! :)

If not...Still count me in!

I'm down. PS I'm going on a four day backpack trip into the Chattahoochee Forrest this weekend hint hint.

You should let John take it out this weekend and, if it survives, I'll use it when he gets back. And yes, it should be the one with the guard.

I'm down. PS I'm going on a four day backpack trip into the Chattahoochee Forrest this weekend hint hint.

So we will start with john then Dylan and move out from there. Pictures are requested, feedback is required. The knife is based on a huntsmen pattern in o-1 steel and has a micarta guard. Every one that is in please send me your mailing address

Thank you

(Dogwood) Dan

Last edited:
Alright, got the knife here and it's ready to be turned over to the great white sampsonite ape. I hope it makes it!

After yet again using my complex algorithm I have determined that this is the best knife for the pass around. It is a prototype that has ben kicking around the shop for a while. it is a modified huntsmen with a micarta guard, it started wit me reading and, yes i can read just very slowly. Any way I was reading a book about Bob Loveless and started wondering if i could make a half guard out of micarta it turns out I can. This is a prototype so feed back will be important guys a especially want to hear about the guard shape

thank you

(dogwood) dan
View attachment 290289View attachment 290290View attachment 290291View attachment 290292View attachment 290293

That one looks stellar! That was the one that you were playing around with when I visited the shop! Great idea for a guard!

looks slick! Handle looks nice and I like 'em pointy/stabby! :)

Last edited:
Ok, so the knife survived the camping trip and did great. When I picked it up from Dan, I had to put an edge on it as it was still in its unsharpened state because Dan was trying to get it to me in time for me to take it on the trip. The reason I bring this up is because I now have an appreciation for the O1 tool steel that Dan uses. One of the most outstanding features of it is that it works so nicely. In other words, I was able to go from completely unsharpened to stupid hair-popping sharp in about twenty minutes. I’m talking completely establishing an edge angle…the whole 9 yards.
IMG_2780.jpg
So, the knife itself- it’s what I consider a fighter style blade made more so by the deep finger guard. The blade has a pretty defined taper from the beginning of the edge to the tip which puts the weight into the handle and thusly makes the blade very quick and lively. The unique feature here is the micarta guard. It’s exceptionally executed and extremely comfortable. I’m not much for the fighting knife style, but this thing is very intuitive. The handle is very comfortable and the fit and finish are exceptional.
The camping trip was three days and two nights in the Chattahoochee National Forest near the Appalachian Trail. The first night we set up camp and I used the prototype knife to carve out several tent stakes for our hammock rain flies. Then it was on to fire prep duty. This involved shaving some tinder and splitting some small wood. Later that evening, I gave the prototype what I consider the ultimate torture test….I gave it to my 12 year old son, another 12 year old scout and a 15 year old scout to use while they were making some wooden spoons. They used the prototype to baton away the wood from the sides and bottom of the spoons, they used it to carve the outer shape of the bowls. They carved with the knife for about three or four hours straight.
IMG_2777.jpg
Right before dark, the other dad that went with us caught a pretty good sized trout and I used the knife to take the head off and the guts out. Then I used the knife to cut some green sticks to use as a grill for the fish. It was delicious by the way. When all that was done I checked the edge and it was still shaving sharp, but just so. I pulled out a small 4” stone with a diamond side and a ceramic side and touched it up in about ten licks on each side. Like I said earlier, the O1 really sharpens up quickly and gets absolutely razor sharp. You’d think that because it sharpens so quickly it’d dull quickly but it holds an edge for a long time.
IMG_2773.jpg
The next morning we fished then went on very steep five mile hike up to Noontoola falls where we set up camp for the second day the boys wanted to work on walking sticks and I let them use the prototype again. They took the bark off several staffs and rounded the ends to use on the hike back down the next morning. We didn’t get any rain until the last night and into the last day. During the hike back down, it poured on us. When I got back home, I discovered that the knife was badly tarnished. This is the nature of O1 tool steel and to be expected when a tool steel knife spends the day in a wet leather sheath. I had coated it with oil before our departure, but that had long since worn off. Also, this knife was new and hadn’t built up a patina at that point.

So, what I liked and didn’t like about the knife. Like I said, I think it is mostly a fighter style knife. The pure sharpness of the blade and the thinness of the edge allowed the knife to function in the bushcraft role I’d placed it in, but that’s not the role in which this knife was designed to shine. Think of doing a carving project with a Randall #1 with a guard. I also had my Dogwood hiking buddy with me and it is a pure bushcrafter and it showed. The fingerguard of the prototype keeps the front finger away from the edge as it’s designed to do, but this also prevented being able to get that extra leverage onto the blade for things like notching. Having said that, the knife did carve through wood easily, and the “stabby” nature of the blade allowed for delicate work on the fish.
IMG_2789.jpg
The fit and finish of the knife were absolutely beautiful. The grinds are nice, the lines and curves are sexy, and the knife looks like a race car. As I’ve already said, the blade is very quick and lively thanks to the generous handle and with the nicely executed guard makes it impossible for the hand to slip forward. I’d like to keep this knife, but it’s going on to greener pastures…..no wait…it’s going to Dylan. Anyway, It’s a great knife and took a pretty good beating this week and was no worse for wear. Great job Dan and keep up the good work. Thank you again for the opportunity to play with your latest creation.
IMG_2793.jpg

John I am glad it performed well for you and thank you for you feed back the good, the bad and the just the way it is. What i hear from y'all has a great effect on my design process.

Thank you
Dan
next up Dylan

hey dan. am i still able to sign up for the passaround? i would love to participate and check out one of your knives. i will send you a PM now.

Hey, guys, I found another picture of the knife with the spoons the boys had been carving. I thought it was pretty cool so I'm going to add it here.

photo (20).jpg

Dan, I'm going camping on August 19th. Make sure that puppy is sharp.

As we speak I am drawing it across a Lucifer's stone drenched in unicorn blood. I will then strap it on the back of the last honest man to insure that it has an edge worthy of the great Dylan Fletcher!

I dont need to try it. I can tell i will like the design. Lloks good and great idea! Put me down for one. Stainless as always..lol and ivory and ebony micarta with convex if you can. Cheers. Love the o1 Trailhiker so far. Video to come. Cant wait for the other two!
Cheers brother!

Back