Social Media

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I follow @naturereliance (Craig Caudill) on Instagram and recently they mentioned that Instagram is pushing them off the platform because of the content they share. I'm not sure what is considered distasteful but it started me thinking about switching up as well, especially to get away from Facebook's privacy issues (Instagram being owned by Facebook).

What have any of you looked into or are using and what do you think? My father mentioned getting on Parler and Craig Caudill mentioned heading over to MeWe. When looking into those, I realized there are a few other newer ones. As much as I dislike what Facebook and Google (youtube) do with our info and censoring, are the other platforms any more secure or useful for posting product pics or having some small discussions?

I'm moving to Vimeo instead of youtube so I think I have a solution to videos.

Going to give MeWe a try. Still figuring it out and the business parts of of it but I'm testing the waters for now.

I'm not a fan of social media but understand how vital it is to keep a small business running. No suggestions here only good vibes for future success.

To be perfectly blunt, unless you're forced off I would stay with major platforms as much as possible. Social media is only useful for your business if it's where your customers are. I have many, many issues with Facebook but, other than word of mouth, our Facebook page has driven far more customers to us than any other form of advertising, with IG being a distant second. If you feel like you have to make an ethical stand, I completely respect that, but I would say look hard at the alternatives and talk to your customers about which of those alternatives they use regularly.

ETA: My business is definitely very different from yours, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if different platforms helped you more than the ones that help me.

Back