Sodbuster question

Has anyone ever or does anyone make a sodbuster with a clip blade? Or would this be considered a different pattern all together once you change the blade design?

The KHnutbuster.

47798140572_4c9f8c1d74_b.jpg

Has anyone ever or does anyone make a sodbuster with a clip blade? Or would this be considered a different pattern all together once you change the blade design?
There is a GEC retail seller that regrinds the GEC #71 into a clip blade. It's sold under the Due South Brand. Just Google "Due South 71".

Case sodbusters have clip blades do they not ?

Thanks for the suggestions! After looking at some pics, maybe a Benchmade proper, the one with the clip blade seems like it could actually be kind of similar too.

It's definitely not a clip. It's more of a drop point. Some knife companies call the Sodbuster style blade a Skinner blade.

I can't link it directly because the mods consider it spam, but the second most recent article on my blog "knife thoughts" talks about blade shapes. You should find it if you search "knife thoughts guide to blade shapes"
I suppose you're right.

Case describes the blade shape of their own Sod Buster (both large and Jr. models) as a 'skinner'. I think that has more to do with the upswept cutting edge near the tip, and less about the spine's profile on their particular version. Some 'skinner' blades will have a dead-straight spine all the way to the tip (see the secondary 'skinner' blade on Folding Hunter-style knives like Case's 6265 pattern), others with a spine that's upswept toward the tip, and still others with a 'clipped' portion of a spine that is upswept as well. But they all have the same extreme upsweep of the cutting edge itself, near the tip, useful for skinning duty.

I could see some of them sort of hinting at a subtle drop point profile, with the spine's forward portion slightly dipping (in a graceful arc) below the plane of the rest of the spine. I see a little hint of that in Case's Soddies. But with a clip blade, the transition of the spine into the clip portion is more abrupt, as if the forward portion of the (otherwise straight) spine were literally 'clipped' away with a pair of scissors, leaving a sharp bump or peak at the transition point.

Last edited:
I would probably better appreciate some of the subtle differences described in this thread if there were more photos. Here's a pic (actually a scan) of a Case Sodbuster Jr and a JJ Martinez navaja de campaña that I usually call a Spanish sodbuster. I've naively thought for years that they had almost identical blades, but after the discussion here "raised my consciousness", there are obvious differences. The Spanish knife obviously has a drop point blade (right? or is it a spear? :rolleyes:), while the Case has a skinner blade with much more "upsweep" at the tip of the cutting edge.
2WZgpo5.jpg

- GT

I would probably better appreciate some of the subtle differences described in this thread if there were more photos. Here's a pic (actually a scan) of a Case Sodbuster Jr and a JJ Martinez navaja de campaña that I usually call a Spanish sodbuster. I've naively thought for years that they had almost identical blades, but after the discussion here "raised my consciousness", there are obvious differences. The Spanish knife obviously has a drop point blade (right? or is it a spear? :rolleyes:), while the Case has a skinner blade with much more "upsweep" at the tip of the cutting edge.
2WZgpo5.jpg

- GT
Hey GT, I would call each of those drop points.
The points are "dropped" a bit from the spine.
Drop points are good skinners. "Skinner" is a term that's more general, in my mind And can include a few different shapes.
And the Spanish one is not a spear. Spears are more symmetric.t
My 2 cents.

I guess what throws me off is that the lines on the case sodbuster are straight, the transition is so subtle that there's no defined angle but there's no destinct curvature that I can see on mine.

I am thinking it's more of a trailing point,fairly straight spine and cutting edge is ground to intersect the spine imho

Has anyone ever or does anyone make a sodbuster with a clip blade?
The Case Sodbuster is their version of a knife that has been around for a long time. The Germans have called them Hippekniep, Taschenschlachtmesser or Notschlachtmesser for over 100 years. During that time, they had many different blade shapes including clip points. Rainer Morsbach currently makes a knife they call a Notschlachtmesser with a clip point.

I guess what throws me off is that the lines on the case sodbuster are straight, the transition is so subtle that there's no defined angle but there's no destinct curvature that I can see on mine.

I disagree. Lay the spine on a flat surface. You will see the curvature. All of my sodbusters have a more or less subtly dropped point. The Cases, and my Loewen Hippekniep have a fair amount of belly. The Maserin Plows are more pointy, with less belly. The Kutmaster Hog Knife, a Fleet Farm lockback, is the pointiest, with the most obvious drop.

Gotta go right now. If this point is still germane when I get back, I will illustrate with some photos.

2WZgpo5.jpg

- GT

I think the bottom knife would be a little more useful all purpose because of the more pointy tip, but the case blade style works fine.

The knife posted by Christian is an especially well designed blade for a sodbuster. What a great looking knife as well.

I disagree. Lay the spine on a flat surface. You will see the curvature. All of my sodbusters have a more or less subtly dropped point. The Cases, and my Loewen Hippekniep have a fair amount of belly. The Maserin Plows are more pointy, with less belly. The Kutmaster Hog Knife, a Fleet Farm lockback, is the pointiest, with the most obvious drop.

Gotta go right now. If this point is still germane when I get back, I will illustrate with some photos.

You must have (like me) grown up in the sixties.... carryin around a hippie-knife..... and here I thought hippies were peaceful, flower-loving people. :p

You must have (like me) grown up in the sixties.... carryin around a hippie-knife..... and here I thought hippies were peaceful, flower-loving people. :p

I bought that knife in Amsterdam in 1970. I survived the sixties pretty much without carrying a knife.

Back