Soft blade tang or fully hardened, on full tang O1 knives

Yep new steel and harden em fully. I've never had any break under the scales, a few tips but that wasn't the knife. Lots of knives ya can do with one 1" tall steel. Just not those designs. All less than one inch tall designs:

G7TChdW.jpg

TwgpS63.jpg

M5FjlYU.jpg

5lhuGrw.jpg

Very few of my designs I couldn't cut out of 1" tall stock.
Damn I already cut the blank.
O1 blank https://imgur.com/a/ISXDVNs
Looks like I need to go back to the drawing board.
I think I'll still finish this one I don't want to waste the steel.

Your profile is not far from a Kephart. You still have room to move further in that direction if you wish...

So just round off that little nub at the base of the tang? to just make it a tapering thickness instead of having that little grip retention nub? (I have no idea what's it's called)

Of course you are free to do as you wish.
If you do want to move towards a Kephart, then I would keep the handle, but narrow the blade and drop the tip.
Here are a couple I did that show the profile.
5SNvvNJ.jpg

Of course you are free to do as you wish.
If you do want to move towards a Kephart, then I would keep the handle, but narrow the blade and drop the tip.
Here are a couple I did that show the profile.
5SNvvNJ.jpg

Oh I get what you mean, the handle actually comes out further than the blade edge, I didn't notice that. Not sure if I should narrow this it's already only 1 inch wide.
Thanks for the advice, I like those handles, is that red micarta?

I can not see any reasion not to fully harden a blade. Only exception I would consider is to draw the hardness back with a torch a little. But generally it is not needed.

Back