Soft Shackle/Carabiner

Soft Shackle/Carabiner
Use it like you would use a metal version.
I am working on a tutorial.

cYZ3bgg.jpg

Seems overly complicated compared to other methods I’ve seen. What is the advantage of doing it this way?

That seems to be one of the only ways I've seen to do that with twisted rope over the normal dyneema braid. Or for the why a soft shackle, one less projectile in the case of equipment failure, and in the case of dyneema, almost no stretch means almost no potential energy if it snaps. In theory this would allow attachment of an eye-spliced twisted rope to a captive ring, all without the use of a metal object, so a really cool way to use a modern technique with fully homestead-level technology.

Made a soft shackle from some 275 paracord (Atwood Rope). I was lifting some drums at work that are a little over 450 lbs. Just for fun, I tried lifting a drum with the shackle. Picked it up with out a problem.

I'm subscribed to a YT channel (Hownot2) that tests climbing gear on a hydraulic table.

They pull on carabiners and such, to see where their breaking point is. The other day, they tested rappel rings and and forces went up to 95kn. The metal shackle that held the ropes in place was connected to the hydraulic system via a 5mm dyneema soft shackle. Pretty impressive...

Back