SOG Bowie replica - CS UWK

Hy Ron!

What is Your opinion about this new Cold Steel product named "UWK"?
Is it ethical to make Bowie replicas?

Laszlo

Hi Laszlo,

Thanks for the post. I haven't seen the UWK in person, just what is on their website. It's really hard to compare knives without having them in-hand.

Regarding the ethical nature of replicating bowies, a bowie is only a blade style (such as drop point, clip point, tanto, dagger, etc.). The name comes from the blade designer, Rezin Bowie. These various blade styles are widely used and altered by most knife companies.

Some companies, like SOG, have made replicas of military knives. For SOG, specifically this refers to the SOG Bowie, the Recon Bowie, and now the Scuba/Demo. None of these knives were made by a private firm for profit. They were designed by the military, for military purposes. By producing a replica, it is honoring a timeless, rare, and coveted knife, as well as honoring the memory of those who used them. I have talked with a number of former MACV/SOG personnel who have purchased these knives for their own collection as a memory of the knife they carried in Vietnam.

Hope this helps you out. If you have any further questions or comments, let me know.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 01-24-2001).]

Hi Ron ,
can you advise when the SCUBA/DEMO
model will be available and how much will it cost?
Thanks , Paul.

Back