SOG mini X-ray ???

The time has come for me to replace my EDC/Workhorse. This position is currently filled by a Cold Steel Voyager which now has enough blade play to qualify as a bobble-head.

I always prefer tantos for this type of use. I've never owned a SOG but I like the looks of this one. ATS-34, lock mechanism similar to a BM axis,and the deep pocket carry clip. I think I'd go with the mini due to its 3" blade with increased security concerns everywhere.

Anyone with comments on this blade? I've seen it around for $60 which is right in the range I wanted to spend.

Thanks everyone,
LeSoleilNoir

Ron,

I do appreciate your reply, goes to show something about the company that manufactures what might be my next knife.

Anyone else? That say, doesn't work for SOG :rolleyes:

Hi, I have owned the MiniXray Vision since early December 2001 and have used as my EDC since. This knife has been used primarily to cut up cardboard boxes,twine etc. It rides very low using the clip. The clip is also ambidextrous, so you can change it to lefty carry. The clip wasnt as tight as I prefer, so I took it off and bent it inward a bit. Works great for me, however, the screw is a small philips and it is now slightly stripped so be careful! The scales are Zytel or something similar and they are comfortable and grippy. The arc-lock is smooth and very simple to operate. For practical purposes, though there are differences internally, it functions like the Benchmade axis-lock. There is no blade-play and lockup is secure. The blade is a modifed tanto, ats34 steel, subdued and not reflective. Dual thumbstuds make this knife ambidextrous as does the dual studs of the arc-lock. This knife is offered only in a partially serrated format. The serrations work well on cardboard, bread etc. It has been used in a pinch to prepare food, sausages,peppers and rolls. The food didnt gunk-up the lock and it washed out easily. Also, there is a lanyard hole next to the clip. All in all, a nice 3" knife that carries easily and discretely. Wish SOG would offer the same with options such as clip and spear point blades and also plain edged versions

Anyone else?

Has anyone bought the mini and wished they bought the full size. I would be using this knife on cardboard, pulling staples, cutting straps and other warehouse type stuff.

Mikey, Thanks for the report. Do you wish you had gotten the full size blade? It's good to know that if I ever need to make an emergency sausage hero I won't have to worry :D

Thanks all
LeSoleilNoir

I've got the full-size G-10 Vision and am very happy with it. I'm convinced it's the best folding tanto on the market right now. The Arc lock is about as good as they come. Excellent workmanship, very smooth action, really strong knife. 3" is a little too small for me for an EDC, but a lot of people are okay with small knives. I'd say check out the bigger ones first, but either way SOG quality is top notch.

Back