SOG NEVER again !

I have owned two SOG's a Trident and a Pentagon both have proved to be poor knives. :barf:

The Trident's lock would fail and let the blade close with a slight amount of side pressure. It went back to SOG twice, the Third time i told them to keep it and the sent me a Pentagon.

The Pentagon, with littl use is falling apart. The thumb stud on the blad lock has all fallen apart. I have to use a small screwdriver to close the blade.

I am very disapointed, SOG's are usually talked up as a good blade.

Never again :mad:

Hmmm... I have a Night Vision (the old one with g10 handles) and a Vulcan and they are flawless. They are the smoothest opening knives I own and the lockup is solid.

I've handled the Trident and wasn't terribly impressed, but the Pentagon Elites seemed fine to me. Maybe your Pentagon is a lemon.

I guess I've been fortunate. I have a number of SOG folders and all have been satisfactory, and a few, like the Tomcat, are fairly outstanding.
But, in general all I can really say is they are ok for the price I paid, but nothing to really get excited about.

Sorry you have had bad experiences, but on the plus side there are numerous other choices that should be less likely to dissappoint.....Spyderco comes to mind. :D

i just bought a trident, my first sog knife. Had to adjust the pivot with locktite which removed the little play it initially had. as of now its a fast and secure opener, very sharp blade. I like the handle and it seems light for it's size. don't know about the thin blade... but so far i like carrying it. i tied some short paracord on the lanyard hole to assist in deploying from my pocket.

The FatCat sports my favorite lockup of all time. Impressively solid with a very satisfying snap! into place. That Arc-lock tested infallible at over 1,000 lbs. Surprised to hear about poor lockups with SOG knives.

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate luck, Rprecision. :(

Of course, such bad adventures can and have happened with every manufacturer. What you don't hear, are the thousands of satisfied customers that exist. Hopefully your next purchases will be for the better.

I usually stick with the higher-end SOG folders, ie; Tomcat, Stingray, Arcitech and San Mai Vulcan models and have never had a problem. In fact, they are all outstanding knives. I can't really speak to the low end stuff but I did have an Aegis that had some good blade play and required frequent re-tightening. I guess you get what you pay for with much of the low to mid end stuff.

Similar to Subterfuge7, my only SOG folders are "higher" end. I've handled the cheaper stuff, but the more expensive ones feel much more solid.

ive carried a SOG trident everyday the last 6 yrs on duty and beat the snot out of it never had a problem and its saved my ass literally more than once ...sorry for the bad luck but all my SOG's are keepers

I had a sog flash and flash II. They were pretty shoddy and loose fit knives..
I also have a visionary II and that thing was much better.

I bought a Trident a few years ago and when I received it, it felt cheaply made and had quite a bit of blade play. I called SOG and they said to send it in so I did. When I got it back it was no different than when I sent it in. I called them back and they told me it was a light duty knife not meant for hard use. I will say that when SOG sent it back it was wicked sharp.

I've heard that quite a bit (blade play) about the Trident. It is really a ridiculously simple fix. The reason many come like that is because many are concerned about how super fast the blade will open, so the pivot screw is left a little loose. Simply put a bit of blue lube on the pivot area and tighten it up a fraction (it doesn't take much). If the blade doesn't open or opens too slowly just back it up a touch. You have to fiddle with it a bit but once you find that perfect spot the blade will open quickly and will be solid with no play. Oh, and I use my Trident for all sorts of crap. It is not "light duty".

I've heard that quite a bit (blade play) about the Trident. It is really a ridiculously simple fix. The reason many come like that is because many are concerned about how super fast the blade will open, so the pivot screw is left a little loose. Simply put a bit of blue lube on the pivot area and tighten it up a fraction (it doesn't take much). If the blade doesn't open or opens too slowly just back it up a touch. You have to fiddle with it a bit but once you find that perfect spot the blade will open quickly and will be solid with no play. Oh, and I use my Trident for all sorts of crap. It is not "light duty".

According to the lady I talked to at SOG it was "light duty".

Probably said to cover their butt. Go ahead and use it. You will be surprised how tough it is.

My experience has been mixed. I love SOG's fixed blades and Multi-tools. They're rugged and dependable, but folders like the Trident and Aegis have left me disappointed. Way too much bladeplay on these knives as well as locks that don't quite inspire confidence enough to use them for anything harder than opening a package. I've handled cheap China made CRKT's and Gerbers that had tighter tolerances and didn't feel as flimsy as these SOG folders. Sad but true. I would rather take 1 SOG Seal Pup over 20 Trident or Aegis folders.

All I can say is buy AMERICAN,or JAPANESE made SOG's, in that order roughly, then if you can't afford either of these, buy Taiwan made, but the quality will be far lower than US or Japan. Chinese? JUNK, that is about all I can say about these knives. Taiwan is much much better than it was 20 years ago, and it wasn't total crap even then, had a $40 FURY tanto I got in 1990, and it was great, 440 stainless, but it held a good edge, and I regret trading it very much, it was a black laminated wood handle one with a fake temper line and silver bolster (anyone got one, contact me!) I have a PENTAGON ELITE 2, and it is great, only the smallest HINT of play in the lock, and it isn't side-to-side wiggle, in fact it is so small, you have to really try to feel it. The ARC-LOCK is tough, it also is a very good EDC or "defense" carry knife lock. If you hold down the stud you can swing open the blade faster than a switch blade, open or closed.It is a perfect large utilty folder, I chopped huge yucca stalks down with it, when I had nothing else to use, and it didn't hurt it a bit, but it isn't MADE for that, I admit.You get what you pay for.

Back