SOG not very popular here.

I don't know about popularity; but I DO like my Terminus...

I’m curious why SOG isn’t very popular here. I haven’t been interested in them for @ 20 years. But now there’s one I like. Does SOG make an inferior product? I’m out of the loop.
I am in the midst of a TERRIBLE customer service experience with them. I bought a new Pillar Blackout (USA-made, s35VN) over a month ago, and the tip geometry was whacked when I got it - it's off by 1/8" on either side. It took three emails to get a response, and they sent a return label. I'm over 2 weeks in since the return, and they will not respond to my request for info. Finally, after 6 emails and 5 calls (they never answered), I received an email with this response - "It takes 21 days for an exchange." No explanation on what happened, no update, nothing. I don't want priority - I just want to know what's happening!

I am in the midst of a TERRIBLE customer service experience with them. I bought a new Pillar Blackout (USA-made, s35VN) over a month ago, and the tip geometry was whacked when I got it - it's off by 1/8" on either side. It took three emails to get a response, and they sent a return label. I'm over 2 weeks in since the return, and they will not respond to my request for info. Finally, after 6 emails and 5 calls (they never answered), I received an email with this response - "It takes 21 days for an exchange." No explanation on what happened, no update, nothing. I don't want priority - I just want to know what's happening!
After all of my emails and calls, they FINALLY called me back. Apparently it's shipping out tomorrow. I supposed we'll see!

I don't think the name helps.
"SOG" immediately makes me think of high-speed low-drag operator types, and in reality I don't think those guys want a SOG. So ordinary folks that are even remotely unsettled by "Tactical" knives immediately look elsewhere.

I've never owned one, and I'm not Delta or DEVGRU, so what do I know?

SOG seemed to have an increased popularity when they came out with their XR locks. I purchased the Tac-XR and Terminus both were solid knives. However, XR lock springs break... and their terrible customer service (which got even worse after being bought by GSM) is why I won't buy another SOG and those knives sit broken in a drawer.

"SOG" immediately makes me think of high-speed low-drag operator types, and in reality I don't think those guys want a SOG. So ordinary folks that are even remotely unsettled by "Tactical" knives immediately look elsewhere.

Well, their mutli-tools and fixed blades are pretty common among NATO forces. Even being issued gear in some units (particular their SEAL fixed blade line and multi-tools). However, I can't speak to those two particular units you mentioned...

Ugh. Sounds awful. I already decided against SOG. Your story just reminds me that I made the right decision. Hope it all works for you.

As far as I know they got their start making a Randall-esque combat bowie, and their advertising has always traded heavily on military connections. In the '90s they had to include Desert Storm references in their ad copy.

I have sworn off companies due to bad CS, doesn't matter if they make the best knives, if they're rude, their products might as well be made of Reynolds Wrap
I totally agree ~ Something that I have lived by 🤘

Many years ago, I had some very nice SOG knives made in Seki , Japan .

Seemed like quality dropped off , so I avoided SOG until recently .

Sale on Blackout Pillar , $99 (list $239) . S35VN / micarta , USA made , generally good reviews .

Glad I did ! Nothing wrong with the one I received . :cool: At least for visual inspection and handling .

No real hard use yet , for me .

Their decline started long before being bought out by GSM. SOG had a huge following in military circles in the late 90's and early 2000's. You would have been hard pressed to find someone not carrying a SOG knife, multi-tool, or both. Guys would show off their new SOG kit with pride. I saw first-hand as they began to put volume and profit margins over quality, and their reputation certainly suffered for it. By 2010, they just weren't considered serious equipment anymore. They were then just the cheap option at the exchange. Stuff the new kids bought that didn't know any better. What a shame. That's what happens when you put an MBA in charge. But I'm sure they made lots of $$$$.

Back