SOG pentagon Massachusetts laws

Hi everyone. I apologize for my stupid question in advance..however even the police department cannot answer my question. Which is...is the Sog pentagon xr folder legal in Massachusetts??

Hi everyone. I apologize for my stupid question in advance..however even the police department cannot answer my question. Which is...is the Sog pentagon xr folder legal in Massachusetts??
I'm not a lawyer and you need a weapons lawyer who is licensed in your state to get a correct answer......but im saying yes to own, but no its not legal on you to carry or in your vehicle, based on what I read in 269 § 10 sub-section (b),
its illegal to carry, open or concealed, switchblades, dirks, daggers, stilettos, ballistic knife, double edge knives, and knuckle knives.

It is illegal to carry anything that is perceived as dangerous while disturbing the peace or being arrested. hint it bascially says having any knife even a swiss army folder on ya is gonna turn into a potential weapons charge in mass if ya get in trouble.

says double edge and the xr folder has a small double edge portion. also says daggers and it also says no daggers.....and it is a dagger shape......

there is also case law in your state that basically says.....the slightest extent of sharpening or even a “swedge” constitutes a second edge...and that sog has a sharpened portion second side.....

now if ya had one and committed no crimes or drunk and disorderly behavior, protesting, being a public loudmouth, urinating in public, etc etc ever, would you be arrested for having that sog folder.....I doubt it...but you do live in mass, so....best we ask folks who live there. i dont. i live in the southlands.....

I'm not a lawyer and you need a weapons lawyer who is licensed in your state to get a correct answer......but im saying yes to own, but no its not legal on you to carry or in your vehicle, based on what I read in 269 § 10 sub-section (b),
its illegal to carry, open or concealed, switchblades, dirks, daggers, stilettos, ballistic knife, double edge knives, and knuckle knives.

It is illegal to carry anything that is perceived as dangerous while disturbing the peace or being arrested. hint it bascially says having any knife even a swiss army folder on ya is gonna turn into a potential weapons charge in mass if ya get in trouble.

says double edge and the xr folder has a small double edge portion. also says daggers and it also says no daggers.....and it is a dagger shape......

there is also case law in your state that basically says.....the slightest extent of sharpening or even a “swedge” constitutes a second edge...and that sog has a sharpened portion second side.....

now if ya had one and committed no crimes or drunk and disorderly behavior, protesting, being a public loudmouth, urinating in public, etc etc ever, would you be arrested for having that sog folder.....I doubt it...but you do live in mass, so....best we ask folks who live there. i dont. i live in the southlands.....
Correct. Knife laws in the northeast are used to build (stack) charges against a defendant. I was shocked when I overheard a guy at the gunstore talking about auto knives. Kid behind the counter told him, "well its legal for me to sell, so it must be legal for you to carry." Wrong. Illegal to carry almost anything in the northeast, but as long as you don't get involved with the police, no one us going to say anything if you've got a big (4 - 4.5") pocket knife. I definitely wouldn't walk around boston or Amherst with a big fixed blade out. Somebody will definitely call the progressive secret police on you. It's just that kind of place.

Last edited:
Yeah agree with above. Being a Masshole myself have looked into the subject. Is legal to carry a switchblade only if one has a Class A weapons license for firearms I read. Forget about double edge, daggers, and dirks. Can own a switchblade but can't walk around with it just keep in your house. That Penagon has the slight edge on one side plus the blade shape screws us out of carry. Was amazed when I found out spring assist is OK. Did buy my first at a Dick's Sporting store many years back. What sucks is some locales prohibit the carry of some knives like spring assist like Lynn Ma. while other areas do not. Most of the ball busting concerns folders as far as blade length also. Hey at least ya can send away for what ya want anyway. Most like Smoky Mountain will ship you a nice Microtech OTF if ya want to gamble. Some stuff just to cool not to have!!

Yeah agree with above. Being a Masshole myself have looked into the subject. Is legal to carry a switchblade only if one has a Class A weapons license for firearms I read. Forget about double edge, daggers, and dirks. Can own a switchblade but can't walk around with it just keep in your house. That Penagon has the slight edge on one side plus the blade shape screws us out of carry. Was amazed when I found out spring assist is OK. Did buy my first at a Dick's Sporting store many years back. What sucks is some locales prohibit the carry of some knives like spring assist like Lynn Ma. while other areas do not. Most of the ball busting concerns folders as far as blade length also. Hey at least ya can send away for what ya want anyway. Most like Smoky Mountain will ship you a nice Microtech OTF if ya want to gamble. Some stuff just to cool not to have!!
Class A LTC..covers you for double edged? and or a switch blade?

That law was more than likely written by some admin at Harvard, who wanted to clean the riff raff out of the square. Removed all the culture with it and now the most exciting thing there is a Starbucks.

Yeah Ma. sucks pretty bad. You can smoke/buy pot but menthol cigs are a no-no. Am expecting gun laws to get worse this spring or summer when the senate rams down more restrictions on semi autos and probably transfers on private sales. Other states like Maine and New Hampshire now have permitless carry.

Yeah Ma. sucks pretty bad. You can smoke/buy pot but menthol cigs are a no-no. Am expecting gun laws to get worse this spring or summer when the senate rams down more restrictions on semi autos and probably transfers on private sales. Other states like Maine and New Hampshire now have permitless carry.
The cradle of liberty.! All the blue states are horrible! Massachusetts is a joke.

Back