Recommendation? SOG Pillar vs WE Knife 607B

WE Knife 607B or SOG Pillar

• WE Knife 607B

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • SOG Pillar

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey guys, i'm in a bit of a dead end here which is why I created an account and came asking for advice. You see, I've wanted a fixed blade for a while now because i've only got folders but I could never find one that looked good enough while still having decent steel in ~150€ price range AND with a Kydex Sheath (Love it). After doing some research today I found the SOG Pillar and the WE Knife 607B that both fill these criterias with CPM-S35VN Stainless Steel good size and (God bless) a kydex sheath. Thing is, I cannot afford to take both which is why I need your help. Both look gorgeous, bonus points to the WE Knife though, have what looks like decent handles but i've heard some junk on both brands. WE Knife seem to ship knives not quite as sharp as you'd think, but that's less of a problem since I can sharpen it myself, but SOG i've heard so much bad stuff about their knives, that they are cheap pieces of hardware crudely worked on in China mostly. The 607B has a more "elegant" feel to it which really makes it hard to decide. What do you think ?

EDIT : Forgot to say, I mean to use it for light working, maybe woodworking or bushcraft but that's not really a primary goal, i'd get a Mora otherwise.

EDIT 2 : Language

Last edited:
While I don't have experience of either particular knife, I do have experience with both manufacturers. I prefer WE over SOG by leaps and bounds. The WE 607 has been on my wishlist for a while.

Edit to add: Might what to edit out your post for language. This is a family friendly forum.

Well everyone's going for the 607B apparently, so that's what i'll get. Anyone care to explain what's so bad about SOG exactly ? I've heard rumors but nothing really precise as to why we hate their products so much

SoG knives, while having a few good pieces in their lineup, way overcharge for what you get. The price SoG charges for what you get is often way out of line.

WE knives just puts together a better product in every way.

The SOG Pillar is made in the USA.

The WE 607B is made in China. Also, its a fixed blade with a thumb hole...

IMHO I would not get either. I think the SOG is overpriced and the WE is silly looking.

I think there are much better options out there at just about every price point.

Have a good weekend!

Well, I’ve never had experience with “WE” knives, and I’m not an engineer, but seems to me that a big hole in the blade....maybe not such a great idea.

I bought one Pillar, right after they came out. That original price hurt! Bought TWO MORE since, still nearly $200 each, if that tells you anything about how much I like ‘em. I live most of the time on hiking trails, backcountry, walked across (literally) the U.S. once, starting my second walk across on Dec. 13 (this year...2018), so it’s hard livin’, all my gear takes A BEATING (KNIVES INCLUDED), and, for my needs, I’d rather have the Pillar than anything else.

For the price AND quality...it’s my favorite. I own all kinds of knives — production knives, Chris Reeve customs, Gough customs...ALL KINDS...and for price, quality and durability...”The SOG Pillar” CANNOT BE BEAT!!!

As I type this, I have a FOURTH ONE on way...LOL. One stashed in every backpack! Never leave home without it! LOL..

Hahahah! I just looked a bit more into the “WE” knife.

IT’S BEEN DISCONTINUED!!!!

Bwahahahahaha! Yeah....great knife....LOL

Last edited:
Well, I’ve never had experience with “WE” knives, and I’m not an engineer, but seems to me that a big friggin’ hole in the blade....maybe not such a great idea.

I bought one Pillar, right after they came out. DAMN, that price hurt! Bought TWO MORE since, still damn near $200 each, if that tells you anything about how much I like ‘em. I live most of the time on hiking trails, backcountry, walked across (literally) the U.S. once, starting my second walk across on Dec. 13 (this year...2018), so it’s hard livin’, all my gear takes A BEATING (KNIVES INCLUDED), and I’d rather have the Pillar than anything else, no B.S.

For the price AND quality...it’s my favorite. I own all kinds of knives — production knives, Chris Reeve customs, Gough customs...ALL KINDS...and for price, quality and durability...”The SOG Pillar” CANNOT BE BEAT!!!

As I type this, I have a FOURTH ONE on way...LOL. One stashed in every backpack! Never leave home without it! LOL..

Hahahah! I just looked a bit more into the “WE” knife.

IT’S BEEN DISCONTINUED!!!!

Bwahahahahaha! Yeah....great knife....LOL
Man i dont even know where to start with this one.

Also, necro.

If I had to buy one of these two I'd probably buy the SOG Pillar. First off I can buy that for $152.00. Micarta handle, made in USA.
The WE 607B was available at $178.- Made in China. Same represented steel, both generally similar, although WE has that hole so personal taste there. Don't see why people rate one much better than the other. I don't see where this "SOG overcharges" applies to the Pillar in this case. Anyway the 607B is discontinued.

Well, now that this thread is back from the dead, I would like to address the reputation of SOG as a knife company, as it really doesn't get much mention around here.

My first SOG was a thin credit-card sized knife with a wharncliffe blade and an arc lock. It was, by all means, a very good knife. It was centered, sharp, locked up tight, and seemed to be overall very well-made. I have also handled a Vulcan, Spec Elite, Tomcat, and Trident. All of them seemed to have materials and fit and finish that were perfectly adequate for the price ranges the knives came from.

I feel like they're a bit undersold around here, but it's also true that they don't have a very extensive catalog and a large percentage of their knives have either obnoxious branding, overly-tactical appearances, or both. That said, their knives rarely seem egregiously priced, and - if you stay out of the sub-$40 range - they are well made and have an excellent warranty department.

I actually have personal experience with their warranty department - I bought the Access Card 2.0 (the slim folder I mentioned earlier) used, and I sent it in for a reblade. It came back with a new blade and also improved thumbstuds with pretty short turnaround time, and I don't think I even paid money for the service outside of shipping. I even was in direct personal contact with the person handling my warranty service throughout the process.

In that price range you're just about in the realm of customs from a maker here in the exchange, unless you're dead set on either of your two choices, I'd have a look there. Of the two you listed, though, I'd pick the SOG. Of all of the issues I've heard with SOG, their fixed blades seem to be more than good to go. I had a Seal Pup in AUS8 years ago as my "couldn't care less" knife and it served me well in that role. WE knives look gaudy to me, and I'd take US over china, with all else being equal. Personal preference and all.

Well, now that this thread is back from the dead, I would like to address the reputation of SOG as a knife company, as it really doesn't get much mention around here.

My first SOG was a thin credit-card sized knife with a wharncliffe blade and an arc lock. It was, by all means, a very good knife. It was centered, sharp, locked up tight, and seemed to be overall very well-made. I have also handled a Vulcan, Spec Elite, Tomcat, and Trident. All of them seemed to have materials and fit and finish that were perfectly adequate for the price ranges the knives came from.

I feel like they're a bit undersold around here, but it's also true that they don't have a very extensive catalog and a large percentage of their knives have either obnoxious branding, overly-tactical appearances, or both. That said, their knives rarely seem egregiously priced, and - if you stay out of the sub-$40 range - they are well made and have an excellent warranty department.

I actually have personal experience with their warranty department - I bought the Access Card 2.0 (the slim folder I mentioned earlier) used, and I sent it in for a reblade. It came back with a new blade and also improved thumbstuds with pretty short turnaround time, and I don't think I even paid money for the service outside of shipping. I even was in direct personal contact with the person handling my warranty service throughout the process.

LOL... I hope no one was thinking that me raving about the SOG Pilkar was an indication that I think SOG, and all SOG knives, are absolutely brilliant. DEFINITELY, not the case. It seems like, back in the 80s, they had a few pretty cool knives out. But, I only say that based on my limited knowledge of that time, and a few discussions with some of the old-timers. Back in the 80s, I was still a kid. By the time anyone would sell my crazy ass a fixed-blade, SOG had become a bit of a joke. I owned a SOG SEAL at one point. Maybe mid to late 90s. It’s was OK. Durable enough. I got into thru-hiking, survival, all that. I beat it to hell, and it took it. I wasn’t thrilled about other aspects, but it was fine.

But, for what I need and want (I mean, price, durability, weight, etc,) its honestly my favorite knife. Now, if I was going to be dropped in the Amazonian rain forrest, and had only one knife, would it be the Pillar?

HELL NAW! LOL... But, would I be totally disappointed and stressed if I were dropped into the jungle, with only a SOG Pillar?

nope

For what I need, and the types of tasks that have me reaching for my belt knife, I’m standin’ by my claim: The Pillar rocks.

In that price range you're just about in the realm of customs from a maker here in the exchange, unless you're dead set on either of your two choices, I'd have a look there. Of the two you listed, though, I'd pick the SOG. Of all of the issues I've heard with SOG, their fixed blades seem to be more than good to go. I had a Seal Pup in AUS8 years ago as my "couldn't care less" knife and it served me well in that role. WE knives look gaudy to me, and I'd take US over china, with all else being equal. Personal preference and all.

I feel ya, brother. LOL... I really wasn’t trying to take a huge dump on anyone who prefers the WE. My humor doesn’t always translate so well into text...lol.

I do kinda feel a bit shallow, excuse the looks (TO A DEGREE) are relevant. If I had a choice between a high-quality, bombproof knife that made me cringe every time I saw it, and one of the same quality that wasn’t completely hideous, well....it’s obvious which I’d choose.

I have no reason to doubt the WE is (or was, rather) a quality blade. But, it was a bit on the homely side. And that friggin’ hole!

Huge pet peeve! I persianlly know quite a few people who are Spyderco fans, and I absolutely trust their opinion and judgement when it comes to what knives are good, and what knives suck. Price and everything else aside, I’m confident that Spyderco makes some pretty amazing blades. But unless one of those damn things is going to get up an hour before me, get the campfire going, and start breakfast, it will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy one of those monstrosities...LOL.

SO, the hole in that particular WE blade.....yeah, it never stood a chance. Hated it at first sight...LOL!

I just noticed the quote you had at the bottom of your post.

One of the BEST episodes of “The Twilight Zone” ever! Right on, brother!
Agreed, and its my favorite show of all time.

If we compare reputations, well, SOG doesnt have much of a chance there. And the 607C is still available. Id have no issues buying the WE over the SOG. The hole is just personal preference. WE has a tendency to put useless holes on their knives, to be honest. My WE 606 is one of my favorite knives, but the hole is pointless.

LOL... oh, absolutely. I was kinda becoming aware of the different knife manufactures and a few of the old-timer custom dudes, back in the 80s. And SOGs rep had bottomed out by the time I started actually learning about steels, grinds, things like that. I heard, pretty much, nothing but negative comments from....man, probably from early to mid 90s, until.....LOL....couple years ago, with the Pillar.

In fact, the only reason I ended up buying it was because of a recommendation from a buddy. He lives up near Grand Lake, Colorado, and he’s into the super long-term, crazy hikes like me, and he liked it. Honestly, I expected the tip to snap like a toothpick the first time I pride open a dead tree trunk, and...LOL..the crazy thing is still truckin’ along!

The price....meh....not so great. For what it is (prices now are ranging about, $150 to $200...ballpark), I’m thinking it’s a bit overpriced. At $150, meh..I’m ok with that. But, when it came out, I think it was about $250 from SOG. Crazy!

Now, if I were to compare it to a Chris Reeve (even the people throwing fits about some of his choices for heat treat/hardness), or Gough custom, well, yeah, I’d go with one of those.

BUT....

I don’t mind running my Pillar through the grinder. But, a nice custom, that I’ve saved two or three months to get.....LOL.....Man, it’d better be the zombie apocalypse, cause I do have a VERY FEW knives that are beasts, but just works of art. They get pampered just a bit...LOL.

Last edited:
Back