SOG SEAL XR review

Tracked one down...a few things. Closed, mine also has that little amount of up-down play. Also, when opening manually, with no flipping, the blade has some sort of stop or bump in the pivot, causing the blade to stay open. It will stop the blade almost exactly half way (similar time how some slip joints have a stop in the blade when they are opened)...

**Edit** Upon disassembly, found that one of the bearing races wasnt seated all the way in the frame. All fixed now...Smoooth action.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Good stuff OP. According to the product page for the SEAL XR on BHQ the liners are stainless. I am considering this SOG as a hard use folder. I am considering a Benchmade 810 Contego and also a 275 Adamas.

This SOG with all that jimping all over it looks a lot like the 810 Contego. How thick is the XR lock bar? Anyone have a measurement on that? I know the 275 Adamas has one of the thickest lock bars in the entire BM catalog. The 810 Contego has BM's "standard" lock bar.

This SOG Seal XR definitely has my attention. Would be cool if it had G10 handle instead of fancy plastic GFN. Last thing I expected from SOG was this large folder with an S35VN blade but hey cool!

Have not seen SOGs worth the trouble of buying since I collected all the Vulcan variants and the Terminus XR. Good stuff!

SW-EDC

Gold Member
Good looking knife just not into folders that big. I went with the Terminus XR which was tested by special forces as well. Rugged also and in D2 and G10.

shinyedges

Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will
Update coming soon

Mate,
I've also got the SOG
Knife.
Have you had any issues with the opening using the flipper.
Mine is very hard to open.
Regards
Mark

shinyedges

Whoops, completely forgot about the update 😅

I'll put one together this weekend and put some pics in. The knife has held up great, I still very much like it.

Mate,
I've also got the SOG
Knife.
Have you had any issues with the opening using the flipper.
Mine is very hard to open.
Regards
Mark

The first one I received opened smoothly at first, and then became harder to open. Like, really hard. That one also developed significant rust after being in fresh water. I opened the knife up and looked to see what was causing the knife to be so hard to open (rusting was a separate issue, unrelated to the opening issue), I removed the thick coating that the lock bar rides against when opening and closing, and slightly sanded in the area where the lock bar rides out of upon opening the knife. This remedied the issue. I contacted sog and gave a detailed explanation of my findings about the stiffness and rust issues, they had me send the knife back to them. I received a replacement some time later, and never had the same stiffness issue (I don't know if they revised it, or what (because this was before the knife was released).

The rust issue remained due to their steel choice but I lived with it and still really enjoy the knife, I recommend opening the knife up and putting a thin film of oil of your choice on the steel liners and hardware if you know you'll be in water.

Anyway, I'll give update the review this weekend, if there's anything else I can answer let me know.

shinyedges

Wow time flies. Sorry for unanswered questions, I went a long stretch away from the forums and didn't keep up with posts here.