SOG Switchplier 3 questions???

Hello, I have a new Sog Switchplier and I like it very much. It 's fun to play with and very useful.
biggrin.gif
I just have 3 questions for Ron or any one else that can answer;
1. The Switchplier is advertised and the box is printed as having a combo edge blade. Mine has a plain edge, why were they changed?
2. The sheath that comes with the Switchplier is one of the neatest I have seen. I really like the plastic clip, any plans to offer it with other SOG multitools or maybe the Tomcat or Sogwinder ?
3. The SOG tool adaptor is great and I love having it on my Powerlock as I carry a pouch of tool bits with it.
biggrin.gif
But I don't carry bits with the Switchplier due to it's compact nature. Can I replace the toolbit adaptor on it with a phillips driver? Will one from a pocket power plier or paratool fit?
Thanks in advance for any help! SOG stuff is among my favorites!
biggrin.gif

Hi Tactical,

The SwitchPlier...One of my favorite topics!
smile.gif
Now on to your answers...I have them all, by the number:

1) The combo edge is standard, but substitutions are sometimes made. If the combo edge is what you are really looking for, drop me an email.

2) Hummmm...a larger version sheath just like the Switchplier (with plastic clip) for our larger knives? Hold your breath for as long as you can, exhale, and email me in a couple of months.
smile.gif
Prototypes are awesome!

3) Replacing tools in the SwitchPlier from other SOG tools or from contacting us, should be no problem (with the following exeptions, they are all exchangable). Just keep in mind three things. Long components on the sides and short components on the inside. In the middle spots go lower short components to give room for the plier head (hard to explain, easy to see once you're looking at it). One last thing. We have some locking components and some non-locking components. Look for the more agressive "notch" cut out for the lock bar to drop in (look at a SOG non-locking tool, like the ParaTool, you will likely find some non-locking tools there and clearly see the difference). These components are not compatible transferring UP to a locking tool, but can transfer down to a non-locking tool. For a really handy guy with a workshop, lots of tools, and especially something like a Dremmel, notches can be cut into non-locking tools in a similar fashion to cutting a key.

OK...did that help? I don't think I've posted for awhile, I got long-winded. Let me know if there is anything else I may help you out with.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

Wow, thanks Ron for your prompt reply. You must have had a long day!
eek.gif
Don't worry about writing too much as us knifeknuts love hearing from people in the industry! Great to hear there are plans for offering the wonderful Switchplier style sheaths on other models. I gotta save up for a new EDC Tomcat with one!
biggrin.gif
O.K. so if I wanted to replace the tool adaptor with a phillips driver :
1. I would need to put it in the center slot resting behind the plier head and deploy the plier first before opening the screwdriver?
2. I would need a short tool, perhaps a small screwdriver, to make up the difference in thickness between the tool bit adaptor and the phillips driver?
Or I could just quit being a smartie and trying to second guess Spencer Frazer and the wonderful SOG designers, and just enjoy the Switchplier as it is.
biggrin.gif
Thanks again and talk to you later! Be careful out there!
biggrin.gif

Hi Again,

Long days for me? Sometimes, but I get on here at home, as well (also home=DSL, work=56k, where do you thing most surfing happens?
smile.gif
). Sometimes it too busy at work to address the Forums.

1) Yes.
2) Yes.

Hard to put into words, but in the middle slots, the component must be not only short, but not tall. Look at a component like the can opener. It is "short" in length, not long like the file), but it is "tall," rising in height to the blade. These tools cannot be in the middle slots.

Don't worry about being a smartie. I just love talking with people who have passion for our product. It's the other "smart posterior-oriented" people that make life as a customer service professional more colorful.
smile.gif

Take care.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 03-22-2001).]

Back