Sog Tech Bowie made in Taiwan ?

Is the tech bowie a full tang? I love the knife but I do not like the handle and if it is a full tang I would just change/customize the handle

Are all SOG Bowies (Trident 2.0, SOG Bowie, Super SOG Bowie) full tang? I know the handle screws on from the bottom, and what can be done if one were to loosen like Ka-bars are known to, I've always wondered why not just put a torx head on the botton instead of what SOG is currently using? BTW the Trident ROCKS, love the Micarta.

Yes, all the bowies are full tang. As for the loosening, we have a tool here that we use to tighten them. Also, I think the screw is epoxied in place at the time of final assembly. So it should not come loose unless you want it to.

I guess, when it comes to your job's it will be different huh? Different all together... " They can't replace me"! Famous last words. Good looking out for your fellow taxpayer. Taiwan, I wonder how much they contribute to our defense budget?

Last edited:
If the knives made in taiwan use AUS steels, VG steels or other well known steels they are importing the steel into taiwan for use in knifemaking. Taiwan doesn't make a lot of steel and imports it from Japan. Spyderco is sending S30V to taiwan for production of a knife there.

A SOG knife made in taiwan isn't the same animal as a PRC made knife. Not even close. Joe

Another well known knife maker, who has a history of making tactical knives for elite U.S. forces also moved their operation to Taiwan about six or seven years ago I think. I bought one of their folders, saw Taiwan on the blade and thought gee that's just great.....five years later I think gee this knife is just great :) , The Taiwan made knives have come MILES from years ago.

Considering how SOG has in my opinion always shown superior craftsmanship in the manufacture of their blades I have no doubts they will continue to do so I have faith in them no matter where they are made until one proves otherwise to me personally in the bush where my faith in them was born.

I hope Obama puts an end to this importation bandwagon every "American"company and their brother seem to be on these days.It's not like the US doen't have the capability to be self reliant.It always boils downo the almighty dollar

I guess, when it comes to your job's it will be different huh? Different all together... " They can't replace me"! Famous last words. Good looking out for your fellow taxpayer. Taiwan, I wonder how much they contribute to our defense budget?

Well....I tried to pm you with some input on this subject as this forum is no place for a political debate...however pm's weren't an option in the drop down menu for you. If your interested pm me an email address and I'd be happy to give you a brief overview of the U.S./Taiwan relationship

I hope Obama puts an end to this importation bandwagon every "American"company and their brother seem to be on these days.It's not like the US doen't have the capability to be self reliant.It always boils downo the almighty dollar

Well...I think you may just find that the time of building great walls around a country for the purpose of isolation has come and gone....globalization will simply have to run it's course at this point. It has raised many countries' standards of quality...that in and of it's self is a good thing. The U.S. has been importing goods from China for many years...shoot, gold minors in California at one time sent their laundry there by sailing ships that brought their laundry back on the next ship load of goods....This was the inspiration for all of the laundries owned and run by Chinese families out there. China was once and is becoming or has again become the workshop of the world.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with Taiwan manufactured goods but when I was looking for a Pentagon dagger I looked around until I found a Seki Made one. Even if the fit and finish is not better Japan has a long history as a maker of fine knives especially Seki.
The new Hyundai luxury cars are really nice as well but I would much rather have a Lexus.

If everything was made in america though, we would be paying much more for things.

On the topic of this thread, my brand new Seal Pup Elite is stamped Taiwan. Its a SOG though, so I have high expectations from it regardless of where it was made.

Alot of the new katanas that you see flooding the market are of exceptional quality and just about all of these are being churned out from forges in china , I own a few and have put them through their paces. Economically it's more viable especially when your closest competitors are saving money this way . Though I dont have any of the Taiwan stuff I dont think SOG would risk their name on a sub-par product. Try them out first.

Although many of the expert, aficionados sneer at these swords, I've read about some reasonably good buys on some Taiwanese pieces, that are made well enough for the more casual user. Can you elaborate on the swords that you own? (or maybe PM me, as this is rather off topic) Thanks.

Back