SOG Tomcat (original) help please.

I have been collecting SOG knives for only a year or two & currently own two SOG original Tomcats and I already know the differences between the SM. CA. and the EDM. WA. versions but I now have purchased one that says nothing under SOG SPECIALTY KNIVES and have only come across a couple pictures of these Tomcats. There are a few differences between this one and my SM. CA. Tomcat. The blades are slightly different, the blade on this one is close to a 1/4" longer, the curve at the very bottom beginning of the knife has much less of a curve, and the top has more of a bow down to the tip than the SM CA knife also this one has seki japan etched into the blade a lot smaller than the SM CA. I was hoping there might be someone out there who could let me know a little more about this knife like when it was made, is it worth more or less than the SM CA or any information about it besides what I already know, thank you.

I'm moving this to the "SOG Specialty Knives" sub-forum.

Photos would help.

However, there are genuine SOG Tomcats which do not have a location etched under the "SOG Knives" box.

Regards,
d-1

I had a couple tigersharks with different lengths and grinds. I was told that since they are done by hand there can be variation.

I have been collecting SOG knives for only a year or two & currently own two SOG original Tomcats and I already know the differences between the SM. CA. and the EDM. WA. versions but I now have purchased one that says nothing under SOG SPECIALTY KNIVES and have only come across a couple pictures of these Tomcats. There are a few differences between this one and my SM. CA. Tomcat. The blades are slightly different, the blade on this one is close to a 1/4" longer, the curve at the very bottom beginning of the knife has much less of a curve, and the top has more of a bow down to the tip than the SM CA knife also this one has seki japan etched into the blade a lot smaller than the SM CA. I was hoping there might be someone out there who could let me know a little more about this knife like when it was made, is it worth more or less than the SM CA or any information about it besides what I already know, thank you.

I am new to this site and can't seem to add attachments just Url and my pics are not on a Url. But I appreciate the responses.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I have been trying to add some pics but can't figure it out, I only know how to add attachments not Url's

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I have been trying to add some pics but can't figure it out, I only know how to add attachments not Url's

Upload the pics to an imaging hosting site like imgur (that is what I use). Then you should be able to get the URLs and post them.

MD1x4dMh.jpg

Sorry to resurrect this thread guys but it needs an archival update...

During the production years of the Tomcat the blade steel was advertised as 44OC (most likely AUS-10 as an equivalent since they were made in Japan).Every Tomcat blade that possess the Santa Monica,CA(1988-1990) or Edmonds,Washington (1990-1995) stamping under the SOG logo was using AUS-10.SOG ditched the use of their township indication under the SOG logo in 1995.At that time is when they took on the use of AUS-6 for their knives as well as the Tomcat model.

Side note:
I'm a bit behind keeping up with SOG as far as how long they produced the old two-handed Tomcat in AUS-6.But in truth I rarely see Tomcat's in AUS-6 (no township stamping).A lot of people putting the pre-1995/township marked ones on Ebay are claiming AUS-6 because they're looking up the knife based on current specs...and specs change.

Very interesting info. Is this rather fresh information from a reliable source?
A number of Seki companies were producing some knives marked as 440C, in particular G.Sakai who was making (and still is) SOG's Seki folders. So if SOG was producing the early Tomcats in Aus10 but they told G.Sakai to represent them as 440C, that is very believable. Since we know for a fact that they did the same with Aus6 and 440A with the Kinryu factory.
On the other hand a number of US Knife Companies were ordering knives from Seki factories in Aus10 and they openly marketed the models as Aus10; Cold Steel, Blackjack, Spyderco, etc.

Back