• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

SOG- You broke my heart

I saved up enough to buy my first "better" quality knife (I have lots of "good" knives) - a Cold Steel SRK in CPM-3V for $100 from MidwayUSA (am I even allowed to say their name here???). At the last second, they announced a run of SOG Pillar Blackouts for the same price ($99). I jumped at the chance and waited... until today. It arrived, and boy, is it gorgeous! And hair-shaving sharp. Then I saw it. The tip is messed up. At first, I thought it was bent. But then I noticed that it was misshapen - the left side (looking down the spine, is ground straight, but the right side has a secondary angle, resulting in the tip tilting slightly to the left. You'd think that a $200 knife (I didn't buy a factory second, so it shouldn't have a defect no matter what I paid) made in the USA would have better quality or at least better QC. My $35 Glock field knife is at least properly ground. So, I've owned it for about 10 minutes and have already had to contact SOG support. We'll see how good their support is. I'll report my experience.
PICS:

I don't think I'd classify SOG as a "better" knife, at least those made after the GSM acquisition.
By some accounts things have gone downhill since then.....GSM is more interested in profit than quality.

I can't see the issue in your pictures, can you perhaps take some pics of the grind issue?
If it is unworkable, send it back to the retailer you bought it from for refund and buy a SOG SEAL Pup.

Edit - this should probably go in the SOG forum area, rather than the exchange feedback.

I saved up enough to buy my first "better" quality knife (I have lots of "good" knives) - a Cold Steel SRK in CPM-3V for $100 from MidwayUSA (am I even allowed to say their name here???). At the last second, they announced a run of SOG Pillar Blackouts for the same price ($99). I jumped at the chance and waited... until today. It arrived, and boy, is it gorgeous! And hair-shaving sharp. Then I saw it. The tip is messed up. At first, I thought it was bent. But then I noticed that it was misshapen - the left side (looking down the spine, is ground straight, but the right side has a secondary angle, resulting in the tip tilting slightly to the left. You'd think that a $200 knife (I didn't buy a factory second, so it shouldn't have a defect no matter what I paid) made in the USA would have better quality or at least better QC. My $35 Glock field knife is at least properly ground. So, I've owned it for about 10 minutes and have already had to contact SOG support. We'll see how good their support is. I'll report my experience.
PICS:
Don’t “contact SOG support”. Send it the hell back to Midway. Refund or exchange vs. farting around with it for months?…. Choice is yours, but I know what mine would be.

I can't see the issue in your pictures, can you perhaps take some pics of the grind issue?
If it is unworkable, send it back to the retailer you bought it from for refund and buy a SOG SEAL Pup.

Edit - this should probably go in the SOG forum area, rather than the exchange feedback.
I looked for a SOG thread. Can you link for me? Thanks!

Don’t “contact SOG support”. Send it the hell back to Midway. Refund or exchange vs. farting around with it for months?…. Choice is yours, but I know what mine would be.
I've had terrible luck with Midway. The price of the knife - 40% off - enticed me to do something I swore I'd never do again - buy from Midway. Shame on me!

I've had terrible luck with Midway. The price of the knife - 40% off - enticed me to do something I swore I'd never do again - buy from Midway. Shame on me!
They have a return policy. Send it back to them. Wash your hands of it, or ask for an exchange for a different one. Easy peasy.👏

giphy.gif

I don't think I'd classify SOG as a "better" knife, at least those made after the GSM acquisition.
By some accounts things have gone downhill since then.....GSM is more interested in profit than quality.
Well to be honest I think SOG was on a poor trajectory even before the acquisition, remember all those terrible designs with the way too prominent SOG logos all over everything?

Send that knife back to midway and get something you won’t regret.

Last edited:
Back