SOG's Piston Lock...opinions?

No one ever mentions this lock design by SOG and they don't seem to market it like their Arc-Lock. I own a Trident and have my two cents to throw in...but I'd like to hear what others have to say on the Piston Lock.

I think it might be a naming convention thing. I thought that they used to call the single sided lock that is on the assisted ones the Arc-lock as well, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.
As far as knives go, they get the job done, I don't think the piston-lock is particularly ambi-friendly, but I've not owned one in a while.

I like the Piston Lock but a few statements to make about it...

*They actually did made it ambidextrous with their Toothlock model. What made it entirely different from say the Trident line was ditching the compression spring and going with omega springs like their Arc-Lock.

*Ah the "Arc-Actuator"...really just a newer design of the arm to disengage the steel bar.

Now I like the Piston Lock because it's still an obtainable design...but it was modeled after something much older and a dead patent.SOG's Piston Lock is copied after Blackie Collin's Bolt Action Lock that he designed in the early 1980's. He offered this lock design through Gerber and later on through Meyerco in the late 90's. The Piston Lock works entirely the same way...long steel bar nested in a compression spring that seats behind the blade tang. Pull down the arm to lower the steel bar to release the blade. Now SOG used to have this lock pull down vertically in a straight movement just like the Bolt Action Lock. Switching to the "Arc Actuator" gave more surface access to the unlocking gesture.

As far as I'm concerned I'm a fan of the design. But the Bolt Action Lock was the ancestor that inspired high-end locks out there. I don't know if it's origin or age is some reason why SOG hasn't been promoting it or doing tests...but maybe these guys should!

Last edited:
Back