• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

[SOLD] 8.5" W2/1018 Sanmai Gyuto

Recently made a batch of W2/1018 sanmai billets, and this is one of the Gyuto's I made from this batch. When welding a high carbon steel, especially one that is shallow hardening like W2, to mild steel, you get some really interesting effects. There's both a hamon and utsuri present for one, and the appearance of some carbon migration. It lends to a really pretty finish. The heat treatment I control very carefully in a kiln, and have recently made headway to make very, very, very small W2 grain. I have even performed break tests with this heat treatment with amazing results.

danielcauble101@gmail.com
www.instagram.com/caublestonecutlery/

This blade is as follow:

*14.25" OAL
*8.5" cutting edge
*2.235" wide at heel
*.105" thick at spine above heel
*.088" thich 1" behind tip
*Handle is .8" wide, and 1.13" tall near blade

Handle is made from stabilized maple burl, stabilized spalted black cherry burl, and a flame blued Titanium spacer that I literally forged into barstock for this project. The saya is made from curly maple and walnut, with a flame blued Titanium keeper.

The edge went through a series of JNATS. Going from a Binsui -> Takashima Tomae -> Yaginoshima Asagi -> Strop.

Sole authorship and Asking $SOLD shipped anywhere in USA. PAYPAL only.

Thanks!

681h9xE.jpg

iFp2mIR.jpg

0rcdMri.jpg

wfFTpAB.jpg

KKTTpvP.jpg

lSGyAWi.jpg

Slne5qb.jpg

dSQ51ML.jpg

Last edited:
Wanted to add - very nice looking knife there. I am sure the buyer will be very happy. Hope you post some more.

Thank you Gaston. I am currently working on a few more from this W2/1018 run. Any questions feel free to send a PM, or email. My instagram is a cool place to keep track of my progress.

Back