• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

*SOLD* 8670 Everyday Carry, Crosscut Micarta handle.

Joshua Fisher

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
0768A68E-188F-493F-994A-8A2EBEA4A099.jpeg 090D2C65-5C39-4593-8A43-05FB328742CD.jpeg 28897CC1-8021-4DC6-AD82-F297C0E84AB1.jpeg 54D34E84-EAFD-4813-A6C2-FA60E569944F.jpeg
I have one of my new every day carry blades available today, this blade is made from 8670 high carbon steel, this is a extremely tough high nickel steel that makes a great knife. It has a 3.5” long blade perfect for any everyday tasks and a 3.75” long handle with crosscut black canvas micarta, this material is very durable, grippy, and looks really unique with its wood grain appearance. This knife has a simple kydex sheath that is easy to fit in a pocket or on a belt, it can also make a great neck knife. Price is $120, payment can be sent to edgeknifeworks@gmail.com on PayPal G&S. As always price includes shipping and a lifetime warranty. Thank you for looking.

May I ask steel thickness and weight of knife/sheath? I agree this looks like a really nice neck knife.

Bill
Hello Bill, it is 3/32 stock. I’ll measure the weight at the post office in about 10 minutes, I don’t have a scale at home and need to ship out some packages. I will say I carried a different knife with this same design with micarta handles on a camping trip in Michigan as a neck knife for a whole week and it didn’t feel heavy or bothersome and I only took it off at night. It is very comfortable in hand for both light and heavy work.

May I ask steel thickness and weight of knife/sheath? I agree this looks like a really nice neck knife.

Bill
Hello Bill, so the weight of the knife and sheath is 3.4 oz. let me know if you have any other questions or if you are interested in the knife and I can set it aside for you.

Howdy! How do you heat treat this stuff? Beautiful little knife
Hello, I use a forge to thermal cycle the steel three times in descending heats, I then bring the steel back up to just above 1500 then quench in parks 50. I have a set of Rockwell chisels to test the blade at each step of the heat treating process from this point, out of the quench my 64rc chisel usually will either just barley bite or skate, I then temper for two cycles the first cycle at 300, the second cycle I do at 350 for small blades like this or kitchen knives for bigger blades or heavy use knives I do my second cycle at 375. For the smaller blades I end up between 61-62rc. This steel ends up with a very fine grain and is extremely tough. I just did some testing today with a khukuri that I finished at 350 and was able to chop through a 2x4 4 times, did some batoning through some hickory logs, split several pieces of hardwood, cut up a bunch of paracord, did quite a bit of chopping and clearing brush in the yard then chopped through some 1/8” brass rods and could still shave with it by the end.

Hello, I use a forge to thermal cycle the steel three times in descending heats, I then bring the steel back up to just above 1500 then quench in parks 50. I have a set of Rockwell chisels to test the blade at each step of the heat treating process from this point, out of the quench my 64rc chisel usually will either just barley bite or skate, I then temper for two cycles the first cycle at 300, the second cycle I do at 350 for small blades like this or kitchen knives for bigger blades or heavy use knives I do my second cycle at 375. For the smaller blades I end up between 61-62rc. This steel ends up with a very fine grain and is extremely tough. I just did some testing today with a khukuri that I finished at 350 and was able to chop through a 2x4 4 times, did some batoning through some hickory logs, split several pieces of hardwood, cut up a bunch of paracord, did quite a bit of chopping and clearing brush in the yard then chopped through some 1/8” brass rods and could still shave with it by the end.

Excellent! Thanks for taking the time to explain, really appreciate it. I’ve read some crazy stuff about that steel and I see it’s starting to gain a little more popularity. I’ll have to scoop up one of your blades soon, bro.

I have heard that it like a tougher form of 5160, any comments in that? Do they have similar amounts of elements?

I have heard that it like a tougher form of 5160, any comments in that? Do they have similar amounts of elements?
Yes it is very similar to 5160 but overall a better steel, it has a similar composition but has more carbon and nickel. Here’s a chart that was made showing various steels comparing toughness.03E25FC9-4B1C-4C88-91C7-2E50CE28827D.jpeg

Attachments

• E0028762-25DB-417A-84C3-FE774EF1832B.jpeg
    E0028762-25DB-417A-84C3-FE774EF1832B.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2
Back