• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

SOLD OUT FOR CHEF BEETLE - my new japanese style 2024 design - 10 spots

Francisco Vaz

fvazknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

sold out, thank you guys.

Update: The one featured in the pictures and video below is now sold

Hey guys!

Relative to its size, the dung beetle is not only the strongest insect in the world but the strongest animal. It can pull over 1,000 times its own body weight. If a human being were that strong, he or she would be able to pull six fully loaded double-decker buses all at the same time.

Based on this, i created the following knife below:

b1.jpg

It is a 5" chef knife with the similar profile of a santoku. By being called "Beetle", the blade was designed to be a sturdy, workhorse knife that you can prepare most of the meals with tons of safety and performance

The whole focus on this knife is to have a solid, rigid spine and yet a very aggressive grind, all of this keeping some handmade forge hammered finish on the flats.

The hammered finish is done by hand, so each one of them will be randomly different.

They have a very sexy choil and a slightly curvature to offer better comfort as well more safety to the blade.

Its tip is shaped similar to a sheepsfoot / santoku so in summary: something that will a couple lifetimes offering great performance.

1 - Easy to use
2 - Great performer
3 - True workhorse blade that your children will use

STEEL:

The standard version is made out of 14C28N stainless steel by sandvik - a slightly improved version of AEBL. It is hardened to 61HRC which is in my opinion the sweetspot for this alloy offering GREAT (one of the toughest stainless out there) toughness as well nice edge retention.

b3.jpg

The grind on this blade has been taken to excellence and no shortcuts were taken. It is ground carefully cooled by water to ensure consistent hardness along all the blade length.

VIDEO - the actual knife of the video and pictures is promptly available

Blade on the video above wasant sharpened but you can see how easy it slices the potato - geometry does not lie!

The knife has polished and rounded spine and choil - absolute comfort when using it.

b4.jpg
b5.jpg
b6.jpg
b8.jpg

OPTIONS TO ORDER:

200$ regular version (as presented in the video and pictures): 14c28n stainless steel + Presentation grade kingwood handle (true rosewood from dalbergia genus).

300$ CPM Magnacut blade + Presentation grade kingwood handle - orders in CPM MAGNACUT will have my premium makers mark including the japanese Kanji

260$ extra wide blade (only available in 14C28N) - can be up to 4" wide

250$ full flat polished blade in 14C28N

$? Custom handle: contact me for getting price since there are dozens of materials available, including fossils, composites and many other wood species (such as amboyna burl, snakewood etc).

THIS KNIFE WILL BE DELIVERED HAND SHARPENED TO 2000 GRIT, READY FOR USE.

INITIALLY THERE WILL BE 10 SPOTS - PREFERABLY CLAIM YOUR SPOT IN THE BOOK VIA FVAZCUSTOMKNIVES@GMAIL.COM (IDENTIFY YOUR USERNAME PLEASE)

The beetle is a knife designed to be a trusted, lifetime tool - please dont order if you have any rush on receiving it.

AVAILABLE BEETLE:

The actual knife presented on the video and in the pictures above is the is currently available for 200$ with luxury red zipped pouch.
First to claim takes it - im from Brazil and i dont take paypal, i can provide tons of references and payment is easy and fast, there are many options.

Please visit my website and feel free to contact me: fvazknives.com

1 - yVWf9LZ.jpg

Last edited:
Francisco, this reminds me a lot of a Almazan knife (interesting history for this style from Serbia). Which is totally awesome. This will be a very fine instrument in someone’s kitchen and something that will serve their family well for generations.

Congrats on the new design/orders.

Francisco,

You keep expanding the limits of your creativity! Don't know why, but this makes me think TUNA...looks like a beast of a blade and so well executed! Then you show that vertical blade tip shot and you think 🤔, "no way that's the same knife."

I also like how you provided the options variety and ordering process...and streamlined!

Absolutely stunning! 💯

Francisco, I keep on saying this, your work is beyond the stuff I can purchase in the kitchen stores locally. Just wish I was younger so I could have a full set to use and enjoy. 😉

Francisco, this reminds me a lot of a Almazan knife (interesting history for this style from Serbia). Which is totally awesome. This will be a very fine instrument in someone’s kitchen and something that will serve their family well for generations.
I had the same thought. It looks like a Serbian Cleaver “Mini Me.” Nice work.[/QUOTE]

I'll take the 200 dollar version
Yours buddy, thank you
im in for one as well, emailed you names nick
Thank you for the support, great call on the saya.

Congrats on the new design/orders.
Many many thanks buddy for the comment. In fact i was inspired by the Almazan chef knife, i just love this design

d9e430ad8ff07052cd9214bb3ee82216.jpg
This is one i did a couple years ago. I wish more people enjoyed this design, it is extremely useful and handy.
Nice design F....
Have a safe and happy holidays!!!
Many thanks brother, wish you a blessed holidays and end of the year party! All the best for you.
Francisco,

You keep expanding the limits of your creativity! Don't know why, but this makes me think TUNA...looks like a beast of a blade and so well executed! Then you show that vertical blade tip shot and you think 🤔, "no way that's the same knife."

I also like how you provided the options variety and ordering process...and streamlined!

Absolutely stunning! 💯
Tuna is a great call for this one, many thanks for your words my friend, always great to know your impressions.
Francisco, I keep on saying this, your work is beyond the stuff I can purchase in the kitchen stores locally. Just wish I was younger so I could have a full set to use and enjoy. 😉
I can only be grateful for having your support earlier this year when i started on bladeforums. You were quite important for me investing more time in these smaller bad boys.
I had the same thought. It looks like a Serbian Cleaver “Mini Me.” Nice work.
This one is a great companion for your serbian cleaver in the works. I will be happy to send one your way for a test drive :)

Well I guess that I can’t resist any longer, I’ll take one. Get ahold of me for payment and steel.🤔😉
Always a pleasure to put you in my book Martin.
Watched the video and I am fascinated by a sharp knife that slices potatoes, but doesn't cut your hand. Is this some new wizardry? Please explain
In summary the trick is that the blade is not sharpened. It happens that its geometry is too aggressive (near zero in the bevel), so even unsharpened it does slice food easily. I like to do this test as it never fails to show how good an edge geometry is performing.
I’ll take one Mr. Vaz! Please let me know how to arrange payment
Last spot yours sir. Sending pm.

Fantastic work my friend. The video shows all the knowledge acquired regarding the manufacture of an excellent tool.

Back