Solid epoxy handles?

i have been thinkin about makin a handle out of solid epoxy by having the knife tang suspended in a small tube, filling it with black epoxy, then grinding it after it cures.

i was wondering if the epoxy would be too brittle for a fairly heavy use knife.

lastly, would any of you suggest any type of filler for the epoxy, like saw dust, metal shavings ot the like to give it a bit of texture.

take it easy, hodges

because i have a very good idea of what i want this knife to look like, and i have no idea what choya is...

Most resin handles are fiber reinforced either by cloth or cut fibers .G10 is one of them .You could cast resin with cut glass fibers like Brownell's Acraglas and color them with dyes or pigments.

I think it sounds like a good idea may take a few days to dry, but actually after it sets up you could probably mold it in your hand. as mete mentioned it would be a load stronger w/ some sort of fiber, maybe some thin fishing line cut up into 4" peices? go nuts, and tell us how it works. oh, by the way grinding epoxy is probably hazardus to your health

yea, i can move stuff outside though, thats not a problem. i was also thinkin about doing a wire wrap (about 1/4 inch space between each wrap) and "paint" over that with a coat or two of epoxy to provide a smooth but textured surface for a grip.

it won't be very tough unless you imbed it with fabric or fibers, then you are basically making micarta or G10, so in that case I would go with pre-manufactured and professionally cured products.

Mike L.

There are a number of fillers that will work but Cut Glass fibers will be the strongest. Check Fleabay.

This works because I have tried it: Use some CLEAN steel particles from your bandsaw, if you cut out your blanks. SS is best as it won't rust as fast.
If they are oily clean well with an Acetone soak and wash.
Mix this with your final coat of epoxy. Be certain it is thick enough to sand.
Use a medium or fast cure that will allow the bubbles to rise to the top (Tap the mixing cup) but won't allow the particles to settle before it sets up.
Several thin coats are easier than one big gloppy mess, where all the metal flake are clumped together.

Forget the Naysayers...:thumbup: People who try new things are what keeps Custom Knives CUSTOM and help push the envelope!

Recently saw a custom folder with ground up pearl suspended in the cast epoxy scales.

Leadfoot

I've made epoxy handles before, clear-colored with large insects inside.

Pour epoxy/resin into a plastic rectangular holder. Then add the insects. I've used goldfish as well, but white crap comes out of their mouths as they squirm and spit in the epoxy. Then put in the knife handle, supported from the top by a vise. After that it's just straightforward grinding.

i found some black casting and garage floor sealing epoxy, im sure one of those will be strong enough without being too brittle. and im thinkin about layering some red cloth in with it to give som contrast when its shaped.

I know this may not be exactly what you are looking to, but since cactus was mentioned as a possibility......

I've made several knives with epoxy filled Staghorn Cholla (pronounced "Choya") handles. So far, the one I use as my regular filed knife, has stood up quite well to being beaten to death in the woods.

My edc is on the left:
dsc02683pb7.jpg

Just finished this one.
update052.jpg

you could wrap the tang with cord..lots of choices..the epoxy would hide all..west system makes many types of fillers for various apps. that we use in boat building. Been thinking about doing something like you describe. Good luck..wear a respirator

If you go with just epoxy, you want something made specifically for casting. Most resins shrink quite a bit and might crack around the tang. I saw a table top once that was cast epoxy with metal drilling chips (maybe 5-10% by volume) as a filler. The reflections gave it some very nice depth.

big blue those are great lookin knives, im just goin for a solid color. im still brainstorming this so any creative input woul be much apreciated.

take it easy, hodges

Seems it might be difficult to finish the resin near the blade without damage to the blade. I finish the forward part of the slabs before installing.

im figurin if i set the blade in the epoxy carfully i wont need to get too close to the blade with anything. its just somthin i need to get the first time and be careful with.

Back