Solingen short sword

Early 19thc. German hunting or short sword. Total length is 28.5 inches. Blade is 23 inches. Signed very small on right side of blade in cursive script "P. D. Luneschloss", "(PDL)" and on the left side is "Solingen," also in small fine cursive script. Bone grip (it looks like it is stacked, but it isn't. It is two pieces of bone with inscribed lines), engraving, dual fullers, iron cross guard and iron eagle head pommel, chain knuckle guard (missing a few links.) None of the worn engraving shows up in the photos but the blade is finely engraved for the first 9 inches, until the actual edges begin.

Does anyone have more (or different) information on this sword?
Or where I might find more information?
Also...where I might find a matching chain to complete or replace it.

q8UuCq5.jpg

Zv0tSOS.jpg

TzfPUFP.jpg

BYhQVOw.jpg

Last edited:
I would think for the Spanish market. It might well be from an individual maker, using a PDL blade.

An interesting civilian sword. My first impression would be South American export but the guard particularly a Spanish flavor. I have a franken sword/dagger with a similar guard and that Spanish with other bits and blade.

Cheers
GC
poinard001b.jpg

This may be irrelevant, but I note there is (was?) a sub-species of Western Capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus aquitanicus) found in the Pyrenees of Spain and France, as well as the Cantabrian Capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus cantabricus) in northwest Spain. Therefore the sword hilt could be of Spanish make or at least with a pommel intended to appeal to a Spanish market. On the other hand, the Capercaillie head pommel may just be a generic hunting symbol. Of course, the main robust population of Capercaillie is east from Germany, and I have seen many German hunting swords with nearly an identical S shape guard, including the chain knuckle-bow. The pommel is very specifically a Capercaillie head and until I see another such pommel on a sword with specific regional provenance, I will just accept the sword as being of unknown origin but with a German blade. (I am interested in locating a book, essay or article on the history of the bird head pommel that features so prominently in the history and prehistory of, particularly but not exclusively Germanic, knives and swords.)

Last edited:
You mean pommels like this?

17457712_4_x.jpg 919a.png 319b.jpg 1017.jpg img_7535.jpg lg_P1010259.jpg !BVnP!S!Bmk~$(KGrHgoH-CoEjlLl)2U9BKTVw)ZqOg~~_3.JPG

To be honest, I wouldn't pigeonhole a pommel genus as much as the guard and grip. At least as far as location goes. The piece in hand is unique until its sibling turns up and believe me, a larger family tends to turn up in time. Of course, if you have already made all of your determinations of provenance, I suppose any reply is wasted effort.

Cheers
GC

I made no determinations of the provenance of the hilt other than to recognize the pommel as being what I believed to be a representation of a Capercaillie. But I suppose you may be right. It could just be a poorly sculpted (i.e. ugly) eagle rather than a Capercaillie.

On an only marginally related matter:

I really do wish for a book on the pre-history and history of the bird head pommel. A few favorites:

Luristan bronze knife (circa 1000 - 650 BC)
dIwz0CG.jpg

Germanic knife from the Migration Period (circa 375-575 AD):
79463470_2895727660446075_1302301330450153472_n.jpg

Roman Portrait of the Four Tetrarchs, carved porphyry, with bird-pommel Spathae.(circa 300 AD)
rWx8AaR.jpg

Last edited:
One of my uploaded clipboards for eagles and birds (see the Lattimer folder).

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1R7gCmCnldPjOKBdprrlNpu-3FaL-GPzd?usp=sharing

Imo, the guard and grip are of Iberian types. The guards of the Germanic S type, 19th century with hooves or acorns.

If you go through the plates in the following, you will not find your sword, as it is quite late and not of the 18th century.
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/metpublications/catalogue_of_european_court_swords_and_hunting_swords

The nature of your sword, as mentioned in my first post, possibly meant for the Latin American market. However, I also mention it of a most singular nature as not fitting an exact mold. Search saddle swords and cutacha, along with Argentina. Looking to ancient history (while interesting enough) just kind of obfuscates what you might really learn about your sword.

Cheers
Good luck
GC

Thank you for your interesting speculations and the catalog of eagles. Very helpful.

Last edited:
Back