Solitare opinions

What"s everyones thoughts on the Mag-Lite Solitare for EDC? Any other suggestions?

Paul

Hi...it depends on how small you want. I have the Surefire E1, it is a great light in a very short but thick body. At work I carry a Streamlight Stylus in my pocket, the same size as a pen and very bright for it's size. Actually after see the Stylus about 10 other guys at work had me pick them up for them.
Nick

Paul,

The Mag Solitaire accompanies my Photon as my EDC. The Photon gets the nod for quick lite ups and signalling, but the Solitaire sees a lot of use for its adjustable beam and the ability to remove the head for an area light. The great benefit of the Solitaire to me, is the ability to quickly and easily change the battery and bulb if necessary. Another plus is that the batteries and bulbs are available almost anywhere, and it stores a spare bulb in the tailcap.

------------------
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, It's the sudden stop at the end.

sgtmike88 has some very good points, but you might also consider a Arc single AAA LED light. It is very close in brightness to the mag, and holds it brightness for about 4 hours. It doesn't have the ability to be a room light though, and no need for a spare lamp since it is LED. You can find the Arc at Brightguy or at http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/

Brock

------------------
led site and flashlight site

I've had two or three of the Solitares, and in all of them I've experienced a dim flickering when I turn them on, occasionally. I just don't like the switching for these, I'd much rather see a more definite on/off design.

JK

I have to give the Solitare a thumbs down. I used to carry one before LED lights became available. It would flicker wehn turned on, and 90% of the time, the battery would be dead or dying even though I never used it. I know that it is nice to have a small diameter metal light that focuses, but why bother when there are good LED lights that are smaller, lighter, and brighter?

I prefer the Streamlight Stylus or a Photon light. A Surefire E1 despite being larger, has the advantage of the brightness and long shelf life.

I haven't seen/handled the CMG Task light, but it seems to be about the same size/shape as the Solitare.

gm

I used to carry the solitaire, but the battery life and brightness just didn't seem to be there. Since LED lights came out, I like the Photons, but I also own a CMG Task Light which is decent as well. I simply prefer the smaller size of the Photons for EDC.

cj

My edc pocket light now is the Arc Flashlight.

Carried the Solitaire before but it just doesn't give enough bright light.

Also have a Photon attached to my key chain before but got tired of fibbling with 4 small screws and delicate bend of its LED leads whenever I have to replace batteries.

Arclite uses easy to find anywhere 1AAA battery and toolless twist-head to replace battery.

Arc Flashlight is small (smaller than Solitaire) and brighter than Photon, MAG Solitaire, and Infinity, with a consistent bright light of up to 5 hours.

Next run of Arc Flashlight coming out in mid-June and available at;

http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/ and http://www.brightguy.com/

- verge -

------------------
2d_edge
Bright & Sharp Stuffs

FWIW, I've had none of the problems that others have mentioned with my Solitare. My use pretty much parallels Sgt. Mike's, i.e. carried along with a Photon. When I need more light than they can provide, my SureFire D2 is seldom far away.

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

I have it narrowed down to the Solitaire or the ArcLight. Probably both. And a Photon......OH NO!!!
Thanks for the help guys.

Paul

Back