Some Burr Pictures

This is a small sampling of burrs; hopefully it will help to sharpen you burr detection skills, or at the very least entertain you.

Large Burr 40x
Large Burr 100x
Medium Burr 40x
Medium Burr 100x
Medium Burr Non Burr Side 40x
Medium Burr Non Burr Side 100x
Smaller Burr 40x
Smaller Burr 100x
A bit of burr left by Medium Sharpmaker rods 100x
Edge of My Spyderco Endura 40x (it shaves nicely)
Edge of My Spyderco Endura 100x (it shaves nicely)

The medium burr should be larger than the small burr, and the large should be larger than the medium etc., but that is the only conclusion you should draw from the size designations. The large burr was quite large, it could easily be felt and seen without magnification.

The pictures were taken with a Kodak 7.1 mega pixel camera looking through the eyepiece of a microscope. The microscope has 3 different magnifications 40x 100x and 400x. I so far have not been able to get it to focus on a knife-edge at 400x. You can see a very similar microscope here. I added some light with my Fenix L2T; I shone the light directly into the edge.

The burrs were raised on a coarse/fine water stone of unknown type. Both sides are still quite coarse though; only the fine side was used. I had to look around on the edge to find the smaller burr and the Sharpmaker burr. The knife used for all but the Endura pictures was an Ozark Trail framelock folder.

Comments? Questions?

Nice photographs. Notice how the 100x shot still represents a 'jagged' edge. If you passed that knife over your face, the blade might bite a bit as the dips in the blade floated over the hairs. Years previous, one must have had implicit trust to be seated in the barber's chair.

Here are some more pics

A relatively clean edge on an Opinel #8 at 100x and 400x.

A badly burred edge on the same Opinel #8 at 100x and 400x.

I think you can see a very small microbevel at the edge in the non-burred 400x Opinel shot. Does it look like the microbevel is the right size for a few very light strokes on the white Sharpmaker rods? Or is that a microbeval at all?

I see a light stress line, but it looks to me like more of a natural distinction line rather than an actual secondary bevel.

-Cliff

Back