Some Experiments on 26C3 Steel

Larrin great article. I am working on a few blades in this steel and it does get crazy hard. I seem to be getting the same #'s as your test pieces. Which I'm glad to see.

Perfect timing. Have three coming back from ht right now. Spect em any day.

Great summary. I’m looking forward to seeing this compared to W2. I’m still surprised at how poorly O1 did in terms of toughness.
The toughness numbers of 1095 and O1 lined up with other reports of toughness but I agree it is a little puzzling why both are where they are.

Read your great article while waiting for the oven to reach 800C for K720 hardening, remembered my purchase of 26C3@AKS and also remembered I keep refractory mix in the fridge (made it at least 2 years ago) so the planets aligned... LOL

Tested after one 2hours 150C tempering :D

Pablo

q9NA5GW.jpg

Cd8lOQi.jpg

Your articles should be a prerequisite for knife purchasers. They should be law for knifemakers trying to sell their wares.

Last edited:
Larrin Larrin I think you should charge money for use of your website not just patron. Some thing small like 2 dollars a month. Any serious knife maker would pay. The amount of research you have done and have on that site would have took me like 4 lifetimes. Just saying. I know I would pay it

Larrin Larrin I think you should charge money for use of your website not just patron. Some thing small like 2 dollars a month. Any serious knife maker would pay. The amount of research you have done and have on that site would have took me like 4 lifetimes. Just saying. I know I would pay it
I'm happy with how it is. Nobody pays for content these days anyway. I wasn't planning on getting paid anything at the beginning. I realized that Patreon would allow expansion of the experiments I could do.

I did Patreon because I felt guilty not paying for the monumentally reduced learning curve for me to competently heat treat. Not joking.

There is so much bad info out there. It was maddening sorting through good info and garbage.

I did Patreon because I felt guilty not paying for the monumentally reduced learning curve for me to competently heat treat. Not joking.

There is so much bad info out there. It was maddening sorting through good info and garbage.

My thoughts exactly. People I know asking me about knives and I start talking about the 100 different variables you have to take into account like DET anneal, Upper temper, lower temper, cryo, edge stability, All this real scientific stuff and they all look at me like I'm nuts lol. I wouldn't know any of it if it wasn't for Knifesteelnerds. All I would know is get 1084 up to nonmagnetic and quench lol.

Thanks for the article Larrin, this backs up and confirms the results I saw from the sheet that AKS put out...I have hardened 2 blades, one was full on and the other was differentially hardened and I am achieving the hardness that I set out for 64-65 post temper and 67+/- as quenched in Parks.

Back