Some help with sharpening? (pics)

O.k., I have a small sebenza that I wanted to thin down the edge on. I used the edge pro and then the sharpmaker to put a microbevel on it. The problem is, the edge is uneven. I'm no geometry expert, but every time I try to fix it on the edgepro, the same thing happens. I'm not sure if I should be sharpening more on one side than the other to fix this?
Picture016Large.jpg

Picture009Large.jpg

Picture015Large.jpg

Picture011Large.jpg

Hopefully you can understand what I mean from the pics. I don't wanna keep grinding on this thing until I know exactly how to fix this.(I'll end up with no blade left...LOL.)
BTW....I am using the edgepro and sharpmaker correctly. I haven't had this issue with any of my other knives.

Oh and when you look straight down the edge from the tip, everything looks straight and centered..

Assuming your setup is correct, it would seem that the primary grind is quite lopsided. I'd send it back to CRK.

Assuming your setup is correct, it would seem that the primary grind is quite lopsided. I'd send it back to CRK.

Hmmm...I don't know. Everything looks O.K. I know that if it's a little off, the bevel will be wider on one side if you thin it out. This may sound like a stupid question, but which of the sides should I grind down more to make the microbevel even. IE...should I sharpen more on the side with the microbevel in my picture to even it up to the other?

EDIT: Also, It is entirely possible there is something I'm doing wrong here, it's just I've never run into this problem before so I assumed I was doing things right.

one side is at a much lower angle, the one with most of the ink still on the edge. To even the angles up, you'd need to find that angle with the edgepro, and grind the other side at that angle. but if the edge bevel is the same width now, dropping the angle on one side is going to widen it. Your blade primary probably wasn't ground evenly on both sides.

one side is at a much lower angle, the one with most of the ink still on the edge. To even the angles up, you'd need to find that angle with the edgepro, and grind the other side at that angle. but if the edge bevel is the same width now, dropping the angle on one side is going to widen it. Your blade primary probably wasn't ground evenly on both sides.

Both sides were ground at the same angle with the edge pro. The side with more ink has a wider edge bevel than the other. I'm just getting confused on how to fix this. I don't really care if one bevel is wider than the other, as long as it isn't drastic.....I'ts a user.

Ok I am by no means a pro knife sharpener so dont take my advice untill others more knowlegable than myself chime in. After looking at the photos, what would make sense to me is to put the course stone on the edgepro and use it at the same angle you did on the other side untill the marker is removed. Basically reprofiling that side of the blade.

my leek g10 s30v didnt come with an even bevel on both sides of the blade. looking down the blade from the spine.... the right side was more acute then the left and since i wanted to reduce the total bevel angle to around 20 degrees, I just honed away until the right side bevel face is about twice the width of the left side. Id say the left side bevel angle would be around 15 degrees now and the right side around 10. very very sharp blade.
doesnt really matter that the bevels arent equal on the blade... just as long as you can reproduce the angles again when you rehone i think.

Both sides were ground at the same angle with the edge pro. The side with more ink has a wider edge bevel than the other. I'm just getting confused on how to fix this. I don't really care if one bevel is wider than the other, as long as it isn't drastic.....I'ts a user.
ok, couldn't tell by the pics. the primary is probably the same then. The way to even it up is to lower the EP until you are grinding the width of the larger bevel, then grind the other side at that angle. You should end up with the same width bevel on both sides. You will have a thinner, more acute edge.

Back