Some Herman Williams Goodness

Herman, I used a Nikon D5000 with an 18-55mm lense on those pictures. I use natural lighting as well, usually outside on the deck at the end of the day, so I'm not in direct sunlight, or on a cloudy day. The glare is the biggest problem, especially the contrast between the dark handles and the bright blades. You can see in the photo of the mark side that I positioned a dark covered ring binder just out of the picture to block some of the light hitting the blade. I tweek the pictures in Photoshop, but I usually don't do more than mess with the brightness a bit, usually have to tone it down some no matter what in order to lessen the glare off the blades. A tripod is a must for clear pictures.
Before this camera (pre- 2010) I was using an older Sony pocket digital, I think it had 5 megapixels and no tripod mount. Always tried to hold it against some firm object in order to keep it steady, but the pics came out equally as well. I used the highest setting possible ( most pixels) on both cameras as far as detail settings.

I have to say though that I don't see anything wrong with your pictures. The detail is excellent, and the exposure always looks great.

Eric

Good to see you posting here Herman! Good times for taking pics is usually out doors, early morning or evening, sunlight can be too harsh taking sujects like knives. with polished blades the knife would have to be angled so that reflections do not appear in the blades/bolsters etc. during the winter or when the weathers not behaving, I've put together a small lightroom with Four daylight type bulbs, with no flash, seems to work fairly well. Keep posting Herman!!

regards

Russell

Last edited:
Great to hear from you, Herman! I am another fan for sure, and I have been putting my money where my mouth is ! Have a great Independence Day!

A few of Hermans good work I picked up a short while ago.

Schrade 225UH & a Schrade Wostenholm I*XL Commerative Stockman.

Russell

dsc13092.jpg

dsc13103.jpg

dsc13152.jpg

:eek:Yikes! Awesome knives Rusty and Herman. The Wostenholm is a grand slam.

Thanks thawk! When I saw the Schrade/Wostenholm come up. That had to join the collection. Pics do not do it justice!

Russell

Beautiful knives!

Thanks for stopping by Herman.
I hope you become a regular contributor here!

Awesome work!
I wish I could get the color on my stag that you get on yours.
It is amazing!

Dale

Some of you might remember a quite banged up 2OT I posted a while back. It had been sitting in a drawer for over a year, looking quite forlorn, so I decided to have a little makeover done and give it some new life. Herman was gracious enough to take on the project with his already busy schedule, and I'm honored to post the fantastic results here. Walk and talk is incredible, just like new:

s3g39t.jpg
[/IMG]

2r4khht.jpg
[/IMG]

9h2tty.jpg
[/IMG]

24w9f6p.jpg
[/IMG]

10cpyjo.jpg
[/IMG]

2lqkwo.jpg
[/IMG]

bhc6l3.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

Last edited:
How do you spell...

E N V I O U S

Congratulations Eric, excellent work Herman!!!

An illustrious new life for a drawer orphan! Nice work Herman, and great luck for you Eric!

Only Herman could have achieved your faithful refurbishment.Well done to you both!
How many 2OT's do you have now Eric?.....I use one as EDU and over here noone is any the wiser when I lend it to cut a box or whatever..bet you wont be using that one the same way....Hoo Roo

Thanks to Eric and Herman for creating that gem. This is as close as I will ever get to one. Do photographs of Schrades constitute a legitimate collection? :)

Eric! Herman has done a wonderful job bringing that 2OT back from the brink, nice choice of bone that does not detract to much from an original. I would be mighty happy with that result. :thumbup::thumbup:

Russell

Thanks guys!

Larry, I might have EDU'd it had it come back with the blades untouched, but it's just too nice. Think I'd cry if I dropped it. There's not a hint of the pivot rivet in the bolsters, blades are polished the right way, liners are polished like mirrors, just a work of art. This one makes three, two originals and one HW custom.

Calvin, something tells me that you'll eventually snag one, you're just too good at spotting the good'uns;):D

Eric

Very nice indeed.
Looks like it was re-done inside and out.
Thanks for showing and thanks to HW for taking it on.
TTYL
Larry

:thumbup: Now that is one SCHWEEEEEET!!!!! remake congrats to the owner:D and the maker!!;).

That is what it is all about thankyou Mr Herman Williams .
What a 2OT ,I would pick that over an original anyday ,the history the mastercraftsman all in one . That is a knife that can talk forever .
I just won a 1/30 knife from HW as I tried to win one but had to go through 30 to do so .
Worth the wait a Schrade 881 HW my first .
It has a great feel and weight with the stag scales so much so I looked twice as a carry .
Could make a great sheath to go with it .
But won't and will save for my great grandkids one day .
Thankyou Mr Herman Williams .
Thanks Cal for sending me the listing of Hermans as well.
August092.jpg

August093.jpg

I do like the liner stamp
August094.jpg

Last edited:
Back