Some Of My No Spin Objects - (Warning Photo Heavy!)

I make most of my own no spin throwing objects myself. I throw a lot of different things.
My list includes, hacksaw blades, screwdrivers, chisels, punches, bastard files, my own
homemade "mock bo shuriken".. I use that term loosely, because I know that they
are not proper actual bo shuriken.. I guess I call them spikes or even bolts for the bigger
ones.. Recently I bought some 1" x 1/4" thick A36 mild steel to make some improvised
knive like objects to throw.. I really like the looks and idea of the Flying Steel Ralph Thorn
Shure-Knives, and I plan on getting some in the very near future.. I've been researching,
and have been looking at everything that I can find, including the secrets of shuriken site.
I saw the shuriken call a Tsugawa Ryu or teppan, meaning "plate".. So I took the
idea of that and the idea of the shure-knife and made something simple to throw..
For now I'll call it a Teppaknife... I've made 3 so far ranging from 10 1/2" to 12".
They're heavy and they throw extremely well. I ground a chisel like tip on the, which
I hope keeps them strong enough. I really like throwing these,
the flat surface works well for my shuriken style grip, I throw the blade
horizontally, it hits horizontal instead of vertical like most knife throwing.
In the future Iwould like to make some of these from some 5160 spring steel.
But I'm learning as I go, and mild steel works well for cheap functional throwers.
They seem to work for spin throw too, at least for my limited spin throwing, which
is very basic and I make no claims about it..
Here's a shot of the 11 1/2" one:
148049_t1348520.jpg

All three I've made so far, I wrapped paracord on the 10 1/2" and some Fusion Spraypaint for grip, the 10 1/2" was the original prootype:
148050_t1348527.jpg

The tip:
148053_t1348548.jpg

I've also been making spikes from 01 Tool Steel drill rod. This stuff works very
well, and seems pretty tough for this purpose without further hardening/tempering.
It's very heavy and dense, I really like the feeling of throwing these, the weight makes
so much difference its drastic.. I'm still learning as experimenting as I go along.
I've worked various sizes ranging from 25/64", 15/32", 1/2" and now 9/16". I grind it on a
bench grinder and using and old stone and sandpaper to smooth them.. It takes a while
to get a decent tapered point on the bigger stuff, let's say it's a pain.. I don't have a lot
of equipment for metal working, just the basics..
I've also started using the rubber tool grip dip stuff as grip, I can't say how durable
it will be yet, but it gives a nice grip and shape with little effort.
Here's my newest one form the 9/16" drill rod, clocking in at 12" long.. I don't know
the weight yet on any of my stuff, but I'll be weighing them in the next day or so..
I don't even know If I can call this a bo shuriken or a spike, this thing is big, and it's
heavy, I call it a bolt.. This thing throws amazing, so much weight and power when
it hits.. *EDIT: My new term for these big ones = Bolt Shuriken... lol
148045_t1348492.jpg

148044_t1348485.jpg

Here it is with an 11" long 9/16" fresh off the grinder..
148046_t1348499.jpg

These are all the drill rod spike/bolts I've made so far:
148040_t1348457.jpg

A 10" galvinized nail ground down. These were what I really learned with.
148041_t1348464.jpg

3 of the 10" galvinized nail flat side grind, with string wrapped and tool grip over it.
I like throwing these, they are just a little light, but they are good cheap fun..
148054_t1348555.jpg

A 6" punch I ground down.. Makes a good makeshift Bo Shuriken with nice weight, throws great..
148047_t1348506.jpg

A couple of mock Bo Shuriken throwers, from 3/8" mild steel, 6" and 7".. A little light
for me, but still fun and they work great.
148048_t1348513.jpg

My wife throws too, so of course I had to make her a womans model.. It's made from
25/64" drill rod at 6 1/4" long... Pink of course! It looks like a toothpick next to the
12" beast...;)
148043_t1348478.jpg

I'm now in the process of gathering scrap 2x4's to make a target, I'll be making it
from 4" cuts of the 2x4" and will be an endcut target approximately 7' tall and around 3'
wide, that begins next week..

Last edited:
Thanks Ralph.. The fun has just begun, because I'm still at such an early phase in this
whole new world of throwing things.. I did get the chance to weigh some of my impliments.
The 12" x 9/16" diameter beast weighs in at 363 grams (12.8oz)
Here are the specs to the other spikes:
11 1/4" x 9/16 - 11.8oz
12" x 15/32" - 250g - 8.81oz
11" x 1/2" - 258g - 9.1oz
9" x 1/2" - 208g - 7.33oz
9 7/8" 15/32" - 201g - 7.09oz
9 1/2" x 25/64" - 140g - 4.93oz
7 1/2" x 25/64" 111g - 3.91oz
I weighed the 12" flat plate ("Teppaknife") it clocked in at:
347g (12.2oz) which is in line with the one ounce per inch idea..
I just made another giant spike yesterday afternoon from the 9/16"
drill rod, a 12 1/2", it weighs in at 381 grams (13.5oz)...
By Bo Shuriken standards, I think these are pretty big, but I'm no authority on
the subject of Bo Shuriken, there are so many schools and styles.
Now I'm itchin to get out and go practice this afternoon....
:) If it has a point, I'm gonna try throwing it...

Thanks for posting all this, neoprimitive---all the photos and weights. I have some W1 half-inch-diameter drill rod I've been meaning to make into spikes. I wasn't planning on throwing them, but now I will. Fun to make your own stuff, isn't it?

Yes Paul, I love making my own stuff..
I spent some time over the weekend making some new things to throw. My grinder is seeing lots of
good use lately. I made a 12 1/2" x 9/16" diameter 01 drill rod spike, weighing in at 377grams..
Throws like a bird in flight.
148413_t1351068.jpg

I also spent some time making a "proper" Bo shuriken, this is 6 1/4" x 3/8" square stock, I've been
grinding away on this one trying to get a good taper going, what a chore..
148414_t1351075.jpg

I've also been making more things to throw from the 1" wide x 1/4" flat stock.
I was inspired by some of the creations from Flying Steel, in particular the East Wind throwers.
I really liked the design of them, so simple, so I figured I'd make something similar.
These are 13" long and weigh 386 grams.. All it took was one cut at the right angle and
viola, I had two of these ready got the grinder.. I love them and they work really well..
Down the road I would love to have a set of these custom made by Flying Steel out
of some good steel and heat treating..
148418_t1351103.jpg

I was watching some of Houzan Suzuki's vids on youtube and noticed some of the knives
he was using, they looked very similar to what I've been making with the flat stock.
Here's a shot of his I found on the web:
CBDFD0D56BA04D69826851_Large.jpg

And here is what I made, 11 3/4" long, weighing 337 grams.
148419_t1351110.jpg

Some of the flat knives I've made lately:
148415_t1351082.jpg

148416_t1351089.jpg

These were coated in canola oil and heated over a gas burner to blacken them, seemed to work pretty well.

I just did some grinding the other day on a couple of chisels
I got from Harbor Freight. They're around 9 3/4" long, one is around
1/2" diameter and the other is a little bigger than 5/8". The big one
weighs around 380 grams.. These things throw very easily, I guess
due to the weight being toward the rear, they are right at about 60/40
from the tip.. I sanded the red paint off and blackened them with oil
an a burner..
148426_t1351159.jpg

These came from this set, which is cheap and makes some good
things to throw.
[Rules Violation]

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: I took a little inspiration frorm Houzan Suzuki and some of Ralph Thorns'
handle wrapping advice to heart...
:D
148471_t1351474.jpg

I was inspired by some of the creations from Flying Steel, in particular the East Wind throwers.
I really liked the design of them, so simple, so I figured I'd make something similar.

I'm flattered to be the source of inspiration. PM or email me your address and I'll send you the real thing - on me. I can't take credit for the East Wind - I based it on a design Houzan has for a suigetsukan (I think I got the name right), which is a throwing-knife version of the little utility knives that accompany Japanese swords. Like you said, it's a super simple, clean design; so simple that it can hardly be considered a 'design'.

Nice DIY work!

Very cool and inspiring. I used "grip dip" on a pair of sai over 20 years ago, it is still holding strong. Of course I dont make it a habit of throwing them as they are 21.5 inches...lol. I also learned how to throw bo shuriken around that time, nothing compared to the mosters you have.

That is some really cool homemade throwers. I gave up throwing knives when one richoched into my foot. Never stand a foot away from what your throwing at if you think you will miss

I just started no-spin throwing and bought a Cs true flight thrower. Its ok but I wish it was a little longer and heavier.
You drill spikes look awesome! I been looking for something like that and can't find anything locally so I'll have to buy online.
Thanks for the ideas and sharing.

Back