Some of you probably already know this!......but

sheathmaker

Custom Leather Sheaths
100_4788.jpg

A really handy stropping device for your edgers is nothing more than some 550 paracord (for the #2 and larger and smaller cord for the #0 and #1 dressed with the buffing compound of your choice, I use the green). Just attach it someplace handy and run your edger (in reverse) down the cord a few times. Keeps them sharp and working great.

Paul

Last edited:
View attachment 1242107

A really handy stropping device for you edgers is nothing more than some 550 paracord (for the #2 and larger and smaller cord for the #0 and #1 dressed with the buffing compound of your choice, I use the green). Just attach it someplace handy and run your edger (in reverse) down the cord a few times. Keeps them sharp and working great.

Thanks for the tip. Can the groovers be sharpened or just replaced when they get full. I’m referring to the tool to make stitching grooves.

@ bike4fun919: The stitch groovers can be resharpened, but it has always been "above my pay grade" so I just replace them. They are expensive for what they are, but still relatively cheap. I have screwed up several trying to resharpen

View attachment 1242107

A really handy stropping device for your edgers is nothing more than some 550 paracord (for the #2 and larger and smaller cord for the #0 and #1 dressed with the buffing compound of your choice, I use the green). Just attach it someplace handy and run your edger (in reverse) down the cord a few times. Keeps them sharp and working great.

Paul

Wow I never would have thought of this !!! This is great :) thank you !!!
I’m going to be looking soon for another set of edgers. Do you have a particular brand you’ve had good experience with ? I keep going back and looking at Barry King line of edgers.

Thank you

Wow I never would have thought of this !!! This is great :) thank you !!!
I’m going to be looking soon for another set of edgers. Do you have a particular brand you’ve had good experience with ? I keep going back and looking at Barry King line of edgers.

Thank you

Can't answer for Paul as to his favorites. But we've had several of the BK edgers and while liking em at first have moved away from them over the years. This is particularly telling as Nichole is a fanatical BK tool supporter and user. In fact I had one BK that came dull and I never was able to sharpen it to a usable level. The knife maker in me felt it hadn't been heat treated. Anyhoo. We're firmly in the Osborne and Weaver camp as far as edgers go. I do have a Horseshoe brand turnback edger that I really like too but thats a specialized one just for doing the backside of slots. I have a Weaver #0 (also for just a specific purpose), a Weaver #1, and Osborne #2, #3, and #4. They're gonna see some use today. Starting on a batch of 56 sheaths.

Can't answer for Paul as to his favorites. But we've had several of the BK edgers and while liking em at first have moved away from them over the years. This is particularly telling as Nichole is a fanatical BK tool supporter and user. In fact I had one BK that came dull and I never was able to sharpen it to a usable level. The knife maker in me felt it hadn't been heat treated. Anyhoo. We're firmly in the Osborne and Weaver camp as far as edgers go. I do have a Horseshoe brand turnback edger that I really like too but thats a specialized one just for doing the backside of slots. I have a Weaver #0 (also for just a specific purpose), a Weaver #1, and Osborne #2, #3, and #4. They're gonna see some use today. Starting on a batch of 56 sheaths.

Hey thank you for the reply :) I’ll give those two brands a look. Maybe I’ll get a couple from each maker :) Maybe #1&2 from one and #3,4 from the other.
Thank you

I have had really good results with Ron's Tools edgers. They are expensive but hold an edge for a long time and come with a properly sized rod to sharpen with (much like Paul's stropping approach). I have sizes 2, 3 and 4 but mostly use the 2.
Randy

I have had really good results with Ron's Tools edgers. They are expensive but hold an edge for a long time and come with a properly sized rod to sharpen with (much like Paul's stropping approach). I have sizes 2, 3 and 4 but mostly use the 2.
Randy

Thats good to know!

I’ve been looking at getting a Ron’s edger for my smaller stuff especially since I make so many wallets now. Currently I’m using a craft tool pro 0 edger and it really is a bad tool just haven’t had the extra funds for a quality edger recently. Also been looking at the weaver edgers especially the one designed for tight turns and things like that.

My favorite edgers,(mostly because that was what I bought first and they continue to perform) are the Weaver Master Tools in #1, 2, 3, and 4 and a BK turn back style in #1. The Weavers are modified turn back style as well. #2 is by far the most used....... BY FAR!, but I do get a lot of use from my #0 and #1 and the BK as well. Hardly ever even pick up the #3 and 4 now that I'm not doing any saddle work.

Creasers are another tool where buying the full set 1 thru 5 is kind of a waste of $, because you will quickly find that the #5 is the very most used and the 1 and 2 never even get picked up.

Paul

Back