Some Photos From A Future Thread.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistwalker

Gold Member
There are many types of resources in the world, some are there in ways and at times that may escape notice. The following pics are from another thread I'll be doing later along the theme of urban survival. My long-winded, in-depth urban survival threads usually go in the W&SS section, but I am not sure this time...this one may just stay here in the DPx forum. For now I think I'll just post a few of the pics with short captions, and leave most of the writing till later...I still have more photos to collect and a good bit more writing to do.

A definite resource to remember...for now anyway, though there is more than one resource in one location in these first two shots.

IMG_3277.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3284.jpg

Then here's one shot especially for Robert :)

IMG_3289.jpg

A little food for thought, is it possible the paper is heralding it's own future demise? I often wonder just how many people still read actual newspapers...

IMG_3274.jpg

Last edited:
Love your threads!

Speaking of which, i browsed through your albums and saw this Warthorn model

picture.php

Did you patina it Mistwalker? It looks amazing!

Gotta love the Breeden knives too! Nice pics, as always, thank you.

Love your threads!

Speaking of which, i browsed through your albums and saw this Warthorn model

Did you patina it Mistwalker? It looks amazing!

Thanks, glad you enjoy them.

Yes, I designed it, Bryan Breeden made it, and then I did the forced patina, that was in the earliest stages of the patina. I thought it looked cool then too, but it wasn't near dark enough yet to protect the blade and patinas get darker over time. Thanks for the compliment, but it is a lot darker now .

Gotta love the Breeden knives too! Nice pics, as always, thank you.

Yep, Bryan makes some good knives, I have a few of them and my wife has one as well.

Thanks, glad you liked them.

I find that if you forage near where those trees with the yellow branches are to be found there is always easy food around. ;)

On average, here in East Tenn, restaurants throw away over 30lbs of cooked, edible food a night. My wife works for a restaurant here, and I have seen perfectly good food, dumped into a brand new trashbag liner, tied up and tossed out.

They can't give it away, as it would cause them to be shutdown by the health inspector (WTF), so, they throw it out. Restaurants are required to have a locking dumpster as well, but not one restaurant here keeps it locked.

When I backpacked across NE Texas, restaurants and houses for sale, were my choice in food and lodging. Most houses with a FOR SALE sign in the yard are empty, and if they are a "show" home, the power and utilities are still on. I always carried a pair of "gator" clips and would jumper out the meter box for some heat on cold nights.

Another great place is weddings receptions and wake parties. I developed a chameleon ability growing up and it has served me well. Most truck stops have amenities that you can use free of charge, showers and washing machines, if you have some quarters. I didn't mind being dirty, but to crash a wedding or a wake, you need to at least look and smell clean.

Moose

Very good points. I have kept more than one group of people from starving through more than one winter by utilizing restaurant's "wastes". In the summer the timing gets more important. A lot can be learned by observing the habits of the animal kingdom. The ability to pull off a chameleon like quality can really help out there...but if you're not careful, and you are constantly adapting you can lose sight of who you really are for a while sometimes.

Hi mistwalker -

So the wireless is available even after the store is closed?

Urban survival can consist of many things. I have used a hotel's wireless to get an online reservation (usually cheaper than a walk-in) while sitting in the parking lot - more than once.

I can't wait to see where you are going with this thread.

best regards -

mqqn

Very good points. I have kept more than one group of people from starving through more than one winter by utilizing restaurant's "wastes". In the summer the timing gets more important. A lot can be learned by observing the habits of the animal kingdom. The ability to pull off a chameleon like quality can really help out there...but if you're not careful, and you are constantly adapting you can lose sight of who you really are for a while sometimes.

My life as a kid was urban survival:D growing up in los angeles helped a lot in street smarts/urban survival and the ability to read people..

why restaurants throw food out is another example of a fine tuned economic system we have here in the states, while we advocate another 'non profit' :rolleyes:organization freed from tax's such as the Mission in L.A. with its skid row hand outs.....

I've had many friends who primary lived from dumpster diving, they knew what time every restaurant threw out their goods, most fast food are right after breakfast is served....

I digress before I go off on a tangent about waste vegetable oil and the new government mandates to be a 'registered' or licensed collector.. Why?? they don't want me to make fuel for FREE !!!!

My life as a kid was urban survival:D growing up in los angeles helped a lot in street smarts/urban survival and the ability to read people..

why restaurants throw food out is another example of a fine tuned economic system we have here in the states, while we advocate another 'non profit' :rolleyes:organization freed from tax's such as the Mission in L.A. with its skid row hand outs.....

I've had many friends who primary lived from dumpster diving, they knew what time every restaurant threw out their goods, most fast food are right after breakfast is served....

I digress before I go off on a tangent about waste vegetable oil and the new government mandates to be a 'registered' or licensed collector.. Why?? they don't want me to make fuel for FREE !!!!

My life as a kid was more wilderness survival, though at the time I just saw it as our way of life. My father grew up in the great depression of the 1930s, and then was in the Marines during the "Korean conflict". When I was really young most of what we ate came from the river, the woods, or the garden. He worked all week at a printing shop and on the weekends in the winter we hunted and on the weekends in the summer we fished. We also fished and trapped commercially. The sudden transplant to large cities after mom and dad divorced was interesting to say the least. First to Tampa with my father which wasn't too bad because we still spent every weekend fishing, catching crustaceans, and living for the most part off the land and water, even though he was plant manager by this time. It was partly out of old habits and partly because we just preferred it that way. It was mom's move to Dallas when things got interesting and my lessons in urban survival began.

The waste has been all around us for many years, though less in many places now than there once was.

You can probably thank the lobbyists for "big oil" for that need for registration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back