Some recent Hiking Buddy Pics

Mistwalker

Gold Member
Some pics of the Hiking Budding from playing around on a couple of recent outings

Feather sticks and fire steel

DSC_5006.jpg

DSC_5010.jpg

DSC_5017.jpg

DSC_5029.jpg

DSC_5030.jpg

DSC_5032.jpg

Hearthboard and bow drill, about to get the mirror finish on it :)

DSC_5124.jpg

DSC_5125.jpg

DSC_5126.jpg

DSC_5129.jpg

DSC_5130.jpg

DSC_5133.jpg

DSC_5139.jpg

DSC_5140.jpg

DSC_5141.jpg

DSC_5145.jpg

DSC_5147.jpg

DSC_5148.jpg

Thanks really enjoyed these pics! Those are some of the nicest feather sticks I've seen!

Great pics as always mist. I really need to learn the bow drill thing. I might try it some this winter. High in the mountains today is 57. Hello fall. I love my kids but I really wish I had a babysitter today so I could go play in the woods.

Thanks really enjoyed these pics! Those are some of the nicest feather sticks I've seen!

Thanks turt, glad you enjoyed the pics. I can still get tighter curls with a saber-convex geometry because I have had more practice at it, but they still worked fine and took a spark well.

DSC_5038.jpg

Great pics as always mist. I really need to learn the bow drill thing. I might try it some this winter. High in the mountains today is 57. Hello fall. I love my kids but I really wish I had a babysitter today so I could go play in the woods.

Thanks bro. The bow drill takes some practicing to get it down...hearth and spindle materials, favorite spindle size, technique and all that but it's a lot of fun, and will warm you up even if you don't get a coal.

Oh yeah! I'm really stoked about autumn being here. I have been waiting on the colder months so I can just let the little one run in the woods and I can see her at greater distances and don;t have to worry so much about her finding spiders and snakes :)

How old are the kids? Too young to take along and still be able to play? Alayna loves going and exploring. She can even identify some tracks and scat.

Beautiful.

Thanks Matt

How old are the kids? Too young to take along and still be able to play? Alayna loves going and exploring. She can even identify some tracks and scat.

The oldest one is five, me and him go out and walk around every once in a while. I just thru taking both of them to the deer lease and we planted some food plots. But the youngest one is 3 and she walks about as fast as a snail crawls. An stops and smells everything and touches everything. Love her to death but she is an absolute pill to take on a hike. :) . Im telling you would make a preacher cuss sometimes. Need to learn something from her.

The oldest one is five, me and him go out and walk around every once in a while. I just thru taking both of them to the deer lease and we planted some food plots. But the youngest one is 3 and she walks about as fast as a snail crawls. An stops and smells everything and touches everything. Love her to death but she is an absolute pill to take on a hike. :) . Im telling you would make a preacher cuss sometimes. Need to learn something from her.

Yeah, when my youngest was three it was always just short hikes to get her used to the idea and she wanted to touch everything too. Now I always find her a small stick and tell her to use that to touch things with. Ya know...not hurrying through life is not necessarily a bad thing :)

not hurrying through life is not necessarily a bad thing :)

quote of the day!!! seems like just yesterday my kids were just baby's.. if I could only freeze time like your picture :)

Thanks Brian for the journey, always enjoy seeing your photos and woodland adventures..

quote of the day!!! seems like just yesterday my kids were just baby's.. if I could only freeze time like your picture :)

Thanks Brian for the journey, always enjoy seeing your photos and woodland adventures..

Thanks man, they grow up fast and photos are the closest we get to freezing time, sometimes it seems a pity we can't save it in a bottle...

Glad you enjoy the photos!

What type of wood on the bowdrill Mist?

TF

Spindle and hearth were both from the same piece of wood broken from the outer part of a fallen white cedar tree. Works great, I collected a good bit of it for experiments and demonstrations.

Back