Some recent works

I use a sewing Awl n Awl to hand stitch with, and that thread came from Weaver Leather a long time ago, inside the tube says it's a Polyester Tacky Wax Size 554 has their number as 50-1554 but I just checked and couldn't find it there, did a search and found some on this web site;

Thread

Looks to be the same stuff.
G2

Hello Gary!

Beautiful sheats that fit like the proverbial glove! Is that a sheath for a CS Talwar in some of Joe's posts btw?

Best regards,
Alex

Alex

Yes it is

Knives083.jpg

Thanks Joe, I was worried on how that would turn out but ended up fitting pretty good after all !
And thanks Alex !
G2

Jparanee, I guess it was your Szabofly sheath I saw pictured in Gary's portfolio that inspired my desire for the left,right pair I posted above (and below) . So many thanks to you !

And to Gary for the wonderful sheaths I was the "fellow" that wanted the pair of Spyderfly sheaths that Gary posted above, as well as I was fortunate to score the Lucky Dragon 13 amongst others through the years . :D

And onward to some images perhaps ? Only 3 in this batch are not G2's work. The rest , well the work of a true craftsman. Hats off Gary and many thanks as always. Glenn

allleathersmall.jpg

HR File click link warning 4MEGS

http://bcdmda.com/G2/allleatherslarge.jpg

Jparanee, I guess it was your Szabofly sheath I saw pictured in Gary's portfolio that inspired my desire for the left,right pair I posted above (and below) . So many thanks to you !

And to Gary for the wonderful sheaths I was the "fellow" that wanted the pair of Spyderfly sheaths that Gary posted above, as well as I was fortunate to score the Lucky Dragon 13 amongst others through the years . :D

And onward to some images perhaps ? Only 3 in this batch are not G2's work. The rest , well the work of a true craftsman. Hats off Gary and many thanks as always. Glenn

allleathersmall.jpg

HR File click link warning 4MEGS

http://bcdmda.com/G2/allleatherslarge.jpg

Beautiful collection :thumbup:.

Can I ask a question .
I notice that a couple of those sheaths have a more angled carry position and the others are more flat - horizontal , owning both do you have a preference as to which one carries better and is more comfortable , or do you find no difference .

Ken

Nice Glenn, some of those sheaths of mine in there are pretty old, I'm finding that most folks want the more horizontal carry, once they realize how well the knife is retained in it's sheath, as it provides a lower profile on your belt as well as making it easier when you go to sit down.

Also, snuggled up in the corner up there is an Adapter of sorts I came up with, similar to the thread I made about a vertical belt adapter. Basically you slip the one end under the belt loop, it comes out the front side and then folds down to snap into a smaller folded section of the leather strap. So now you could wear the horizontal sheath vertical and unsnap it from your belt without having to remove your belt. Works pretty well, the one I made for my French Chambriard folder rides well, as the belt hits the fold of the leather on the bottom and doesn't push the snaps apart.

G2

I'm finding that most folks want the more horizontal carry, once they realize how well the knife is retained in it's sheath, as it provides a lower profile on your belt as well as making it easier when you go to sit down.

G2

I've always thought the aesthetics and lines of an angled sheath look better , but I'm coming around to your thoughts on the practicality and function of a horizontal sheath .
I do a lot of driving of trucks and machinery and a horizontal sheath seems more comfortable .
If I was doing a lot of standing and walking then a vertical sheath would be what I would use , but they seem to not be as comfortable when sitting in the drivers seat and getting in and out of vehicles .

I'm interested in other people's thoughts on this , if they have opinions and suggestions I'd love to hear them .

Those adapters are a brilliant idea and a great solution
Can I also say to make matching sheaths exactly the same is a show of amazing skill . I don't think I could make 2 that looked identical , mine would always be different no matter how hard I tried to replicate them .

Ken

Beautiful collection :thumbup:.

Can I ask a question .
I notice that a couple of those sheaths have a more angled carry position and the others are more flat - horizontal , owning both do you have a preference as to which one carries better and is more comfortable , or do you find no difference .

Ken
Thanks Ken, and sorry for the delayed response.

My personal preference is a lefty sheath , on left front hip for right cross draw , got that ? LOL.

But specifically I favor a sheath to be strait to the belt line, not only because of the low profile but also my style of "draw" and follow through manipulation. It's not like yanking a fixed blade out of sheath.

As Gary stated above, many of the sheaths I have in that image are very old stuff I have collected through the years, and buying 2nd hand will not afford you the choice or specifics you are seeking as Gary made these as "one offs" for individuals along the way that each wanted a specific "set up" per their string side, and or slant requested etc.

To G2, Gary so glad to have you back at it, and thanks for finding my name in that dusted off Rolodex.

It was since before computers been around I've been waiting was it not ? :D

Hello!

Sorry for being a little late - thank you Joe and Gary! I still got a Talwar around somewhere and that sheath looks REALLY tempting... ;)

Best regards,
Alex

Back