Some thoughts and Spyderco vs. Benchmade thoughts

Up until this past Christmas, I had not a single one hand opener knife. All the knives I had were Swiss Army knives... I got my first Swiss Army knife anywhere from 5 to 7 years ago. I however, hadn't bought a new one for probably 3 years or so - I still carried at least one almost at all times and still contained interest in knives.

So then for Christmas I asked and got a SOG 2.5" blade Flash I Zytel handle with TiNi combo edge blade and SOG Tomcat II 3.75" bowie style blade. I really like and enjoy both knives...

I then last Friday received my first two Spydercos: Native and Calypso Jr. Both I really like them and look forward to getting more lots lots lots more Spydies.

One kind of a problem I have with the 2 Spydies and Tomcat II is depending how I grip the handle. I sometimes can't do a nice smooth open of the blade - as I sometimes grip the handle to low. I do have small/very small handles - I'm still young enough for my hands to grow. So I then half way through opening, slightly regrip the handle up to complete opening the knife up. It's a little upsetting not to be able to do it smooth and quick. I guess Spydies with "Cobra Hood" would help me, when I don't grip high enough. I could then just give a push to the Cobra Hood to complete the opening.

So here comes Benchmade....

I posted in a different thread about which big and small Benchmade with AXIS to get. I want the big BM mostly self dense carry - big blade and quick, flick of the wrist open with AXIS. That way regardless of my hand size, I only need to grip by the lock and know it'll work. Where sometimes I think I gripped my Spydies and Tomcat II correctly and then half way through, I didn't grip high enough. I do want to get like the Spyderco Chinhook II and maybe Military - I just think it be better to carry like the BM 806 for self dense - *if* I could carry only one knife.

I then thought OK, I'll carry Spyderco's for EDC etc and then, if going to some place I rather not be going- carry BM 806 and also a big Spydie for backup.

Then I realized that with AXIS you *can* just open them with the oval hole/thumb stud instead... As with flicking open AXIS folders in public; may not be the greatest idea (with some people think they may be illegal). Heck, if I was carry the 806 for self dense and had to just the knife for every day things, I'd open it with the thumb oval. And just use flick it open in an emergency or at home.

So then carry AXIS for EDC most the time and that way, I have a knife on me and in an emergency it can be flicked open. Though, I kind of like Spyderco better... so me confused! ugh

After a lot of thought, I think for "as a rule" Spyderco's would pretty much be my EDC knife brand. With the occasional BM thrown into the mix. I guess if I'm someplace, I always feel "safe" in and something bad *does* happen... Well I guess I need to look at it like this... 1. It may come down to: having any knife on me, will be better then none 2. It probably won't come down to: I won't be able to open the Spydie fast enough or without interruption (like someone jumps on me or something) 3. Nothing at all bad will happen, that will require me to use a knife for self dense.

Also I need to remember, until Christmas, I had NOT a single one hand opener!!! Heck, sometimes I didn't even had that big of a Swiss Army knife of me anyway.

In regards to self dense carry lineup, I want to just get the knives and get it over with. I don't really enjoy the self dense side of knives. I just enjoy knives for how useful they're, fun, neat, etc.

Final note about "self defense lineup" (and Halloween lineup - I *love* Halloween and adding that with knives is just great) - it obviously would depend on the pants I'd would be wearing and where I'm going. Let's just say for the optimal lineup for jeans would be: (fyi I'm right handed)

1. Right pocket: Emerson Commander with Wave

2. Left pocket: BM 806

3. The little coin pocket on the right side: Probably my Flash I - because it's really small and light... Not to mention assisted opening.

Other versions:

1. RP: 806

2. LP: Spyderco Chinhook II or Military or ParaMilitary

3. Coin pocket: probably Flash I again.

I guess I could mix it up a bit every now and then like with the Spyderco Lil' Temperance or something.

I was debate whether to get the 806 or Emerson first - I decided probably the 806, as I'd only clip any knives to jeans and that's it.

To just to review my rambling... Spydercos probably for my "Official EDC knife brand" - again with the occasionally BM and maybe other brands.

About not always opening my Spydies quickly... Lot of people mentioned in my thread "What folder for a bad situation?", being familiar with a knife is very important. I'm gripping my Tomcat II the correct way, more often - and the same thing will happen with my Spydies.

I do have a few questions for the people that was able to make through this entire post... hehe

1. How does exactly a Wave knife work? Is Emerson (probably Command/Mini Commander) a good choice? Quality, tuffness, lock? What is this I've heard that Wave knives have ruined some people's pants pockets?

2. Is the "Spydie Drop" safe and OK for the knife? Hard to believe it be OK for the lock...? I guess in an emergency this could be an option? This is down by placing one's thumb pad into the hole and on the other side one's index finder. Then flick your wrist and it open's?

3. If you had to chose just one of these two brands for the rest of your life, which would you pick and why? Spyderco or Benchmade?

Whoa, that was long!

Thank you!

Andrew

Whoa, that WAS long! But thank you, Andrew, you covered a lot of ground.

First of all, welcome to the forums, welcome to the madness :) You don't HAVE to buy a knife a week or even every month. But you will end up with a few, won't you? So don't worry too much right now which ones are best for you.

If you can get to knife stores and especially to knife shows, try them all out. Sometimes the best knife around just isn't quite the right shape for your hand. This is why NObody can tell you what the best knife ever is -- they aren't you.

Knives are fun, and knives are useful, but knives as weapons are highly specialized and if you haven't got the theoretical and practical training in their use, you may end up in more trouble than just punching the guy in the nose.

Buying your first knife and getting into a fight with it is like buying your first car and driving it in New York City traffic. :eek:

I like my Emersons, but I prefer the Raven to the Commander for just this reason: the Commander really requires more combat skills to use effectively. The Raven is more of a utility knife. You are better off with a Benchmade to begin with, and definitely better off with a Spyderco.

I think Benchmade makes excellent knives, solid construction, good steels, technically advanced locks, and reliable customer service. I hardly buy any. They just don't attract me as much as my Spydies and Camillus, and I'm more into high-end now, anyway. Chris Reeve, Darrel Ralph, and monster folders like MOD and ER.

Speaking of which ... it might be a good idea to look into some of the more expensive knives. Not that I'm suggesting you buy and carry only customs, but looking them over will raise your understanding of how good a knife can be, and immunize you against impulse buying of junk. Although you've been looking at good ones so far.

How to hold a knife when opening it ... depends on the knife ... but I find on a lot of them, I grip the clip with the tips of my fingers, and then I can thumb the blade open more easily. Also, when thumbing open a blade, don't push away from the handle, push forward, and the blade flicks open instead of fighting the detente.

Originally posted by Esav Benyamin

But you will end up with a few, won't you?

I have about 15 Swiss Army knives... Including one lockback and one SwissTool.

Thank you for your post! Very nice, kind, helpful!

Andrew

Knives are fun, and knives are useful, but knives as weapons are highly specialized and if you haven't got the theoretical and practical training in their use, you may end up in more trouble than just punching the guy in the nose.

Buying your first knife and getting into a fight with it is like buying your first car and driving it in New York City traffic. :eek:

I agree. EDC knives are on a different continuum than SD. There are knives that will serve both functions well, but it is the SOFTWARE not the HARDWARE that makes the difference. Would I carry Brand/model X? maybe; taste is very subjective..Can I defend Myself With a knife that I don't like for whatever reason? (As long as I consider it dependable) Yes. That's because I train regularly, and with one of the Best-Bram Frank. I'd hate to take him, or Janich, or JAK on with any edged weapon (or really under any circumstances). But as I go away from any salient point, just having a knife for self defense is not enough. Satin said it best when he said that for $100, you can get a delica and trainer, and at least a book or two, and have something better than nothing, but not as good as hands on instruction. YMMV, Welcome to the Forums--Joe

If I had to choose between Spyderco or Benchmade, I'd go with Benchmade for various reasons.

Just be sure if you ever pull a knife for self defense that you know what you're doing once you're ready to use it. I'd hate to see a fellow forum member be hurt, or killed, by having their own blade used against them.

I would only pull my knife for self defense as an absolute last resort. I'd try fighting with my bare hands before entering a knife into the situation. :)

Originally posted by WadeF
II would only pull my knife for self defense as an absolute last resort. I'd try fighting with my bare hands before entering a knife into the situation. :)

I agree and I'd do the same.

It's just that I want to have some piece of mind going some place I don't want to be going. Luckily I don't I'd ever come remotely close to using a knife for self dense. So far in my entire life, I have never ever came close.

Besides getting like the 806 or Emerson with wave or Chinhook II etc for SD.. I would EDC sometimes or use them outside or on a hike.

Every now and then i have second thoughts about my opinion on Spyderco vs. Benchmade.. Like about 10 minutes I go to open my Native for fun and I didn't grip it the right way. So it was a nice smooth open.. had to regrip.

I wish Spyderco would bring out knives with assisted opening and/or something like AXIS!!!

Gentlemen,

I get the idea that the original poster is a youngster and not of legal age. As evidenced by his statement concerning his hand size, and being young enough for his hands to grow some more.

If this is the case, I would be reluctant to give advice concerning self defense knives, and offering advice as to when to engage in knife based encounters. I just don't think it would be the responsible thing to do.

If I am incorrect in my assumptions, please accept my apologies.

Thomas

Thomas, it doesn't take long for people to learn to use the Search, and then all the old threads on self-defense are open to them. I think it's better to give a responsible answer to a serious question than to let inexperienced readers try to sort it out on their own. He's got the knives. He's thinking about their proper use. That's responsible in itself.

Sorry, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. He can search and find all he wants. I feel that adults shouldn't contribute directly in situations like this.

I'll shut up about it now.

Thomas

Thomas, it doesn't take long for people to learn to use the Search, and then all the old threads on self-defense are open to them. I think it's better to give a responsible answer to a serious question than to let inexperienced readers try to sort it out on their own. He's got the knives. He's thinking about their proper use. That's responsible in itself.

Thank you.

As I said, I have had knives for the past 5 - 7 years. I have never once cut or hurt myself or anyone else. Plus I mentioned, I don't really like the aspect of using knives for self defense. I do think it's worth sometime thinking about it. I luckily think the chances me getting into a fight are extremely slim. Even slimmer are the chances of a knife being involved.

Also I never meant this thread to be all about self defense and knives. I was hoping it to be mainly focused to Spyderco vs. Benchmade. People's opinions on which they pick and why.

OK, back to Spyderco and Benchmade. I do have a BM Big Spender, which is a tiny knife with a money clip for a clip. Very elegant. Most BM seem to be medium-size general purpose knives, which is great. But Spyderco is more into smaller knives that are optimized for specific purposes. This I like. Even though many of them come out looking weird compared to "ordinary" knives.

It is a cliche to say that every type of blade has already been made, and if not, the really innovative designs haven't been tried because they're too far out to be useful. Then along comes the Spyderco Cricket, and recently, the DoDo. The DoDo especially has a lot of handle to grip and just enough hooked blade to get into the work and belly to slice through it. But I'm not sure how I'd peel an apple or butter my toast with it :)

That Native you got is a perfect example of an ideal handle for grip security and a small, strong, useful blade. Probably as much of a general purpose knife as they make.

My first 'modern' folder was a Spydie Endura, first generation or so - integral plastic clip, G-2 blade. Up till then I'd had the kind of knives I grew up on - slipjoints and lockbacks from Case, Buck, and Schrade, stag-handled Solingen high carbon hunting knives. The Endura opened a whole new world.

A year or two later, I took Sarah to a local dealer I'd heard good things about. I'd been hearing good things about Benchmade in the knife rags. We got his 'n' hers Panthers, which we still have - Weehawk for me, combo-edged clip point for her, which is her preference in a field knife. (These days she carries an Axis lock Benchmade 720s - clip point, combo.) I also bought a present for my little brother - I believe it was called a Pro-Grip. It was the little brother of a bigger Spyderco hunting design - steel frame, Kraton inlay, kraton on the clip I think.

Good knives, all of them. Still giving good service, all of them, although none of them are primary-carry EDCs anymore.

Of course now I was bitten and couldn't stop, although I'm more a knife very few months kind of guy than some really aquisitive addicts I know. :)

So I figured out the only way to really find out what was best for me was to pick up a variety of makes and styles, and see what I liked best once I'd actually carried it, used it, and beaten it up for a while.

The short answer, I found that Benchmades made me happy. Maybe they were better knives, maybe they were more innovative, maybe they had more solid mechanisms - and maybe they didn't. But they definitely made me want more Benchmades.

And between Benchmade and Spyderco, I think that's what it comes down to - which one makes YOU happy.

I'm not trying to be all touchy feely here. There are definitely real quality differences between a lot of knife brands - I'll never buy another Junglee folder, and I'd want to see a CRKT or Cold Steel and actually examine it for quality before I paid for it. Benchmade or Spyderco, I'd buy unseen - as long as I wanted that design, etc.

I think a lot of the Benchmade/Spyderco thing is aesthetics. I'm guessing that comes down to saying that Sal Glesser and Les de Asis have different ideas on how they like their knives to look.

There certainly are reasons other than "Because I like how it feels" to choose between them. Benchmade doesn't make any hawk blades. Spyderco doesn't use high carbon tool steel on any models. Only BM has the Axis, only Spydie has the compression lock. I'm not sure if BM stocks any full serrated manual models any more. They also don't have any hollow ground blades. And so on. If you want a particular feature, that can be what makes up your mind.

You own a couple Spydies, and a couple SOGs. It sounds like you're already pretty commited to picking up an Axis locking BM or two. I think owning them and being able to compare them will help you figure out what you prefer about each.

Originally posted by WadeF
If I had to choose between Spyderco or Benchmade, I'd go with Benchmade for various reasons.

Just be sure if you ever pull a knife for self defense that you know what you're doing once you're ready to use it. I'd hate to see a fellow forum member be hurt, or killed, by having their own blade used against them.

I would only pull my knife for self defense as an absolute last resort. I'd try fighting with my bare hands before entering a knife into the situation. :)
:) How about chairs, tables, coffee cups, etc? "If you're in a fair fight , you didn't prepare well enough" from HOCK. :D :D :D

For a couple of years, my pair of EDC's was a SS SE Police and a SS PE Delica...Now I carry a 710 and a 705 Benchmade as my EDC pair.

...Go figure...:).

Back