Something I posted in WS&S that I thought you guys might like, too...

Was fiddling with my BK9 lastnight, thinking: "There has GOT to be a better way to store stuff in this suitcase on the front."

...and there was.

I studied for a moment, stuck my fingers down in the pouch and flared it out. Would it fit? By golly, it would.

So I got an Altoids tin kit out of my pack and tried to slide it down in there. No go. Something kept hindering the process. I figured out it was the plastic insert for the BK-13.

I tried sliding it out, but apparently it was sewn in. So, I used an old, cheap multitool I take fishing with me and pulled the insert out. The altoids tin kit slid in perfectly and even left room enough for a stick type knife sharpener, the BK13 (which is cord wrapped and has a loop big enough to use it as a necklace. On that loop is a boyscout flint & p38), and a diamond whetstone.

In the Altoids tin I have: About 10-20 feet or so of fishing line, hooks (in homemade blister paper: notebook paper with Scotch tape covering one side), snare wire, aspirin, ibuprofen, sting soothing thingie (it's a technical term), triple antibiotic ointment, itch relief, 10 tabs of Aqua Pure Plus (purifier and neutralizer--vaccuum sealed), signal mirror (which is glued into the lid of the Altoids tin), Bic Mini, Oven Bag (for water)--and I might even be forgetting a couple things.

Wrapped around the sheath at the bottom is about ~15-20 feet of para cord. Using a method of doubling the cord, then using the ladder loop to shorten it again.

Thought some of you might want to give this a try. I now have everything I need in ONE knife to get me out of a hairy situation. (this of course, counting the knowledge & skills I have as well)

Pictures coming a little later...

very cool man thanks for the info. I plan to carry a multitool in the bk9 sheath and a pocket saw, firesteel, and a sharpener in the 7 sheath they make them very roomy, the only problem ive found with using an altoids tin is unless you tape it, dropping it could certainly result in the loss of some maybe all of your survival goodies...do you secure it any other way then the sheaths velcro? or are you just too ninja to drop it...lol anyway thanks for the ideas.:D

KEmSAT-Survival,
Did you just manhandle the BK13 sleeve out? Was it in fact sewn in? Did it tear anything coming out?

My bk13 sleve came out without much resistance at all. I was suprised how many things fit in that pouch. I put my multi tool in and still had lots of room for other stuff.

Thanks Kemsat!

very cool man thanks for the info. I plan to carry a multitool in the bk9 sheath and a pocket saw, firesteel, and a sharpener in the 7 sheath they make them very roomy, the only problem ive found with using an altoids tin is unless you tape it, dropping it could certainly result in the loss of some maybe all of your survival goodies...do you secure it any other way then the sheaths velcro? or are you just too ninja to drop it...lol anyway thanks for the ideas.:D

Ranger bands on the tin my friend, cut them out of an old bike tube, way more durable than elastic and make a kick ass fire accelerant when light.

Sweet!! didnt think of that, plastic soapboxes work too ive seen. how long does rubber take to burn off i.e.(bad smell and/or dark thick smoke) like a 1 inch square?

Back