Something new in the testing stage

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
Not putting it out until later this week. May be a big deal to some, may not. I'm excited about it because it's been bugging me to work with for over a year. So far so good but I don't offer anything new to my customers until I'm 100% satisfied. Some of the results will hopefully be in video form. Stay tuned
Scott

I'm wishin' and a hopin' for somethin' in particular :) .

I just saw Duck Dynasty for the first time, so I'll give an obligatory "Happy, happy, happy!"

What I'm working with is CPM 3V. I made a Polaris for testing purposes and so far the steel is performing great. I talked to a couple of experts in heat treating Brad from Peter's Heat Treating and Scott Devanna of SB Specialty Metals. They actually gave me the advice I was already thinking about trying but wanted the experts opinion. I have another steel to try and test in the near future. It's Carpenter Steel's Micro-Melt PD#1 Alloy. Very similar to 3V. I am going to do a vid with some testing of the Polaris.
Scott

Wow. This is really great Scott! CPM 3v is actually my favorite steel; it just seems to stay sharp forever but is also super tough and fairly easy to sharpen. I don't know anything about the PD#1 but I'll be very interested to find out, I bet it is fantastic as well. Your knives plus these super steels, an unbeatable combo!

Jesus Scott...don't you have enough of my money ;), lol. Seriously though. Keep us posted. If you start working in 3V, I can have my dream knife...6 inch tusker with guard!

Very cool man. I know you have wanted to work with it in the past. I hope that your tests go well, I would like to see some Tuskers with 3V.

cd, didn't need another kiln. Asking questions to right people yields results. I can tell you guys one thing, I think 3V is a go. I batoned the blade into a big piece of knotty twisted poplar wood. The blade bent about 15 degrees along a twisted curve and I was able to drive straight through the wood busting through a knot. Blade came back to true without a problem. I also cross grain batoned through a piece of 1/2" thick, 2 1/2" wide pine lumber. About 5 wacks with the baton and it was cut in half. Looked like I sawed through it only a cleaner cut. That steel is tough. Edge clean and still shaved.
Scott

That's awesome Scott...what kind of RC are you shooting for? Any idea of how much more the steel upcharge will be from A2/O1. It's going to be a good while before I can offer, but might as well check

That cross grain batoned pine was 3/4" thick by 1 1/2" wide. Cost will be higher then A2 and O1. Right in line with the other CPM steels I work with. About 25 bucks or more higher depending on blade width and thickness.
Scott

RC is about 60. I may play with the HT and temper a bit more before I offer this steel. Final RC will be in the 59 to 61 range most likely finalized at 60.
Scott

That cross grain batoned pine was 3/4" thick by 1 1/2" wide. Cost will be higher then A2 and O1. Right in line with the other CPM steels I work with. About 25 bucks or more higher depending on blade width and thickness.
Scott

Damn! That's a big piece of pine!

And tha'ts what I was figuring. Very reasonable price increase. And 60 sounds about right. Seems like 3v does really well there.

I do want to mention that there will be limitations as far as sizes with 3V mainly the width.
Scott

I can get 1" 1.25" 1.5" and 2".
geargeek, my thoughts too. A Deer Creek in 3V would be great.
Scott

Back